The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I was the same with Canon and loved the Sigma 50mm f1.4 on my 5D apart from the bulk and weight. I've used old film era 50mm lenses quite a bit on my A7 and who knows... I may go back to that FoV again but at the mo 35mm seems better especially for shots with people in them and some context.

I had the Sigma 85mm in my DSLR days and these days I have manual film era 85's and a 45mm for MFT but I hardly ever use them.

Last edited:
Woofy you going to blow the moths out the wallet and pull the trigger?

Well... I'd like one but being honest the A7 is more than good enough for me. I don't need fast AF or longer battery life or a blackout less evf and the only thing that might be nice for me is the joystick as I do tend to move the point for most of my shots and at the mo I have to press the button and use the arrow keys which is no great thing but maybe the joystick would be better... but the thing is that my life changed so much 6 years or so ago (I now look after someone pretty much 24/7) and then again more recently (when the future Mrs WW moved in) and although I enjoy my little hobby I have less and less time to myself to do it so is spending £4k on a camera really something I should do...

And on the subject of money... £4.5k at your typical UK dealer and £3.65k from Panamoz. Wowza.

I got one of those bags with my A7, I didn't like it at all and sold it on here but it went missing in the post :( The bag seemed well made but I thought it was a pretty poor design as a camera bag as none of my cameras seemed to sit well in it. I wouldn't recommend that bag to anyone.
Just got my A7R and Billingham Hadley bag. I quite like it. Certainly fills a gap in my existing backpack oriented bags. Looks a like a man bag though [emoji1] Nice freebie.

Just got my A7R and Billingham Hadley bag. I quite like it. Certainly fills a gap in my existing backpack oriented bags. Looks a like a man bag though [emoji1] Nice freebie.

Great stuff :D

My problem with the bag was that is seems quite large but somehow small on the inside and none of my cameras sat comfortably in it. A lot of wasted space where I didn't need it and not enough where it mattered for me maybe.

Gives me the warning.

Id wonder where you stand in terms of warranty claims with regards a warning...... oh its your fault sir... it did warn you. If the sensors getting to hot that will destroy its lifespan. Get it switched out mate.

Id wonder where you stand in terms of warranty claims with regards a warning...... oh its your fault sir... it did warn you. If the sensors getting to hot that will destroy its lifespan. Get it switched out mate.
Bro I am. I have already got it confirmed that I can switch it. Gotta wait till Monday. You should see my post about it on the a9 Facebook group Milano. Hilarious. Soo many Sony fanboys. Really disgusting.

Bro I am. I have already got it confirmed that I can switch it. Gotta wait till Monday. You should see my post about it on the a9 Facebook group Milano. Hilarious. Soo many Sony fanboys. Really disgusting.

Not cool, dont worry about them, get the new one and see how it goes, you got your 5div and a7r2 if things go pear shape. These days I think faults and new releases go hand in hand, it is such a lot of dosh.

Hoping someone can help me out>

Currently I shoot a Nikon D700, Nikon f2.8 24-70mm and a Sigma f2.8 70-200mm. It's been a trusty workhorse for the last 7 years, 4-5 weddings a year, family outings, christmas shoots etc.

Having seen the a7r II advertised last year it really grabbed my attention. Kick *** quality, smaller, lighter so would be great for general family/hobby stuff but my main concern is obviously the weddings.

The D700 has 1 mem card slot, so the a7r ii being the same isn't a massive issue for me. My main concern is iso capability and how it performs against the D810 (as this would be the obvious choice for me to move too) .

Ideally, I'd like both but I've another wedding on the 17th and I'd like something new for then and drop the D700 to a backup/second camera. I'm aware of the battery issues with the a7r ii, i'd just carry more batteries, I carry several for the D700 anyway.

Anyone made the move themselves or use the camera for weddings? It's a lot of money to a part time wedding tog so I need to make sure it's a good all round investment.

I'd like to hire one but the next wedding is free as it's a gift for our close friends. I can't justify blowing £400 on a body + lens for a day. None of my friends own one but I've been told I can borrow a D810 to play with from a friend.

Also, do the Nikon lenses now work with the a7r ii? everything I've read is 2 years old, can't find anything more recent that definitely answers it.

Really grateful for any feedback or suggestions.

The thing is that the lenses will be the same size, battery much worse, the files will be much better but not sure how you are going to like AF with the lenses on an adaptor either.

Currently I shoot a Nikon D700, Nikon f2.8 24-70mm and a Sigma f2.8 70-200mm. It's been a trusty workhorse for the last 7 years, 4-5 weddings a year, family outings, christmas shoots etc.

Having seen the a7r II advertised last year it really grabbed my attention. Kick *** quality, smaller, lighter so would be great for general family/hobby stuff but my main concern is obviously the weddings.

The D700 has 1 mem card slot, so the a7r ii being the same isn't a massive issue for me. My main concern is iso capability and how it performs against the D810 (as this would be the obvious choice for me to move too) .

Ideally, I'd like both but I've another wedding on the 17th and I'd like something new for then and drop the D700 to a backup/second camera. I'm aware of the battery issues with the a7r ii, i'd just carry more batteries, I carry several for the D700 anyway.

Anyone made the move themselves or use the camera for weddings? It's a lot of money to a part time wedding tog so I need to make sure it's a good all round investment.

I'd like to hire one but the next wedding is free as it's a gift for our close friends. I can't justify blowing £400 on a body + lens for a day. None of my friends own one but I've been told I can borrow a D810 to play with from a friend.

Also, do the Nikon lenses now work with the a7r ii? everything I've read is 2 years old, can't find anything more recent that definitely answers it.

1) A7rii image quality is just as amazing as the D810.
2) Id be more concerned with AF than battery life.
3) No, Nikon lenses wont AF anywhere near fast enough.
4) Make sure the native EF lenses have you covered in your budget/FL/AF speed.

When people say files are much better, Im not so sure, Ive used the D700/D750/D800 extensively and imo theres not a lot in it besides resolution, which is great if you crop. The D700 is an extremely capable camera, even in todays market, just depends on if you need those pixels. Also, do some research on whether you like Sony colour, its different to nikon especially in terms of skintones. One cameras RAW is very different to the others.

I actually recently ordered the A7rii to replace my D700 and cancelled, after all the cameras Ive used over the years, purely in terms of IQ/compatibility/AF/System Cost I went for another (4th) D750, but thats not to say the A7rii couldnt do what you wanted with native lenses, its an amazing piece of technology used within its limits.

Last edited:

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Sony-A7R-II-versus-Nikon-D810___1035_963

Not good to hear about the overheating issues with their new Sony A9 at all :(
Sony should have tested it properly before releasing it, poor QC on their lenses and now this!
Even if it is just a firmware bug it shouldn't have made it into the public domain, this is just going to put of some prospective buyers for sure especially Nikon/Canon professionals.

@jonnymendoza get the replacement and test it, if it does it again then I'd personally bail until it's officially confirmed and fixed by Sony.

Last edited:
Not good to hear about the overheating issues with their new Sony A9 at all :(
Sony should have tested it properly before releasing it, poor QC on their lenses and now this!
Even if it is just a firmware bug it shouldn't have made it into the public domain, this is just going to put of some prospective buyers for sure especially Nikon/Canon professionals.

@jonnymendoza get the replacement and test it, if it does it again then I'd personally bail until it's officially confirmed and fixed by Sony.
Yea I'm gunna do that and see how I get on

So does it actually prevent shooting or is it just an over-zealous temperature warning on screen?

From the sounds out it, yes, over-zealous warning.
Would professionals overlook this, probably not as the reliability becomes questionable.

From the sounds out it, yes, over-zealous warning.
Would professionals overlook this, probably not as the reliability becomes questionable.

If it's just a software warning, that could be adjusted in a firmware update. I'd be more concerned if the camera itself actually locked up. I'm guessing Sony have tried to be over-cautious in an attempt to stop the previous online negativity from users experiencing actual overheating to the point that the cameras lock up.

I'd guess the heat of any mirrorless camera is going to be higher than an equivalent DSLR as the sensor is always active to display the view in the EVF or the rear screen whereas a DSLR only needs to activate the sensor when actually taking a photograph.

Sony needs to release and official press statement before this gets out of hand.

It may be isolated, it may affect all units, but the variable is that each camera sold is in different conditions and environment, someone might bought one who may have a problem but if he only shoots Ice Hockey court side then the ambient temperature will always play a favour.

The only way to truly know is if Sony themselves get a large sample and use them in the same condition.

Umm well i will return mine today for another one and see how it goes.

Having sony not say anything is rubbish because if they simply said that the warning is a bit tempermental and that the camera will definetly not shut down then i would keep my current A9 but because of no statement, i dont know...

I never had this issue on the A7r2. ever

Back