The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Facebook someone was selling it.

I need to get some glass now I have 1k left well when my lenses sell I Will.
£1k mmmmm

Sony Zeiss 55mm f1.8 or Sony FE 85mm f1.8?
Zeiss Batis 85mm f1.8?

The Sony Zeiss 55mm f1.8 is an incredible lens... the 35mm f2.8 is nice too, both make a great light weight travelling kit pair with a A7/9 body. :)

Zeiss Sony 55mm f1.8 and zeiss sony 85mm f1.8 :)

the 55mm you can try get second hand.

I think 35 and 85 give a little bit something extra over 55/85 but the 55 is so good that I think it has to be a must have. Chances are that the 85mm is a must have too and you might as well throw the 28mm into the mix as by accounts that's good too.

How many lenses?

:D

I guess it comes down to what focal length you like and want first for your A7RII. :)

yea thats a beast,

order from amazon and u can exchange it no problem

Is it that good? I picked up a used Loxia 35 last week but also ordered the 35 FE 1.4 from Amazonas I was keen to see the difference as there isn't a huge price difference at the moment.
I can't honestly say that I thought the Distagon was any better than the Loxia, is it at 1.4 that it really shines?

Is it that good? I picked up a used Loxia 35 last week but also ordered the 35 FE 1.4 from Amazonas I was keen to see the difference as there isn't a huge price difference at the moment.
I can't honestly say that I thought the Distagon was any better than the Loxia, is it at 1.4 that it really shines?

It renders really nicely, got to watch for decentering, believe it's an issue. It's f1.4 and has Af though. I'd be tempted to go mc11 and siggy though.

I'd like to be able to do some street and portraits.
Mmmm Sony Zeiss 55mm f1.8 or the Sony 85mm f1.8.
If you want a different Zeiss look you could get the Zeiss Batis 85mm f1.8 which has OIS and a OLED meter for zone focusing.

Couldn't street be zone or hyperfocal, even with old manual lenses :D That'd be old time and cheaper :D

That's how I used to use my Panasonic LXx cameras sometimes, not for "street" but for general use as it makes a sluggish camera work like Linford Chistie.

Couldn't street be zone or hyperfocal, even with old manual lenses :D That'd be old time and cheaper :D

That's how I used to use my Panasonic LXx cameras sometimes, not for "street" but for general use as it makes a sluggish camera work like Linford Chistie.

agreed, I tried 55mm 1.8 for street and got instantly frustrated at how slow it was - that was on the a7s mind. Manual zone focussing much better.

It renders really nicely, got to watch for decentering, believe it's an issue. It's f1.4 and has Af though. I'd be tempted to go mc11 and siggy though.

Yeah I'd be temped by the Sigma and MC-11, probably a bigger package all in though, might have another look when I get in, its only really the size that is a little more off-putting v the Loxia, faster and AF would be handy.

Cancelled my 12-24 order, decided that the Loxia 21 will be plenty wide enough just now, will probably pop my name down for a 16-35 f2.8 though, the cost difference will be saved in being able to use my existing filter kit and not spend £500+ on 150mmx150mm filters!

agreed, I tried 55mm 1.8 for street and got instantly frustrated at how slow it was - that was on the a7s mind. Manual zone focussing much better.
On Sony A7R II the focusing is much faster.
I will publish a thread for selling my Sony 55mm in a moment, if you are in London - feel free to come over and try it with no obligation to buy it - just to see it for yourself and decide if it fits your expectations.

On Sony A7R II the focusing is much faster.
I will publish a thread for selling my Sony 55mm in a moment, if you are in London - feel free to come over and try it with no obligation to buy it - just to see it for yourself and decide if it fits your expectations.
Yea next time we do a photo walk @Dan you will see how great it af with native lenses.

The A7 mk 1 cameras where prototypes Imo. The mk2 versions made those usable and the mk3 and a9s look to be better then dslr and surpass them!

The A7 mk 1 cameras where prototypes Imo. The mk2 versions made those usable and the mk3 and a9s look to be better then dslr and surpass them!

Amazing how you can say that about a camera that doesn't even exist. The a9 cant track as well as a d5 according to dpr.

Amazing how you can say that about a camera that doesn't even exist. The a9 cant track as well as a d5 according to dpr.
A9 does exist and surpass the d5 and 1dx2 in some areas and the new A7 mk3 may have same af system as the A9 going by the latest rumours.

Scary to see Sony advancing this quick

A9 does exist and surpass the d5 and 1dx2 in some areas and the new A7 mk3 may have same af system as the A9 going by the latest rumours.

Scary to see Sony advancing this quick

You said mk3... it doesn't exist. I'd be surprised and impressed if Sony added the a9 af to a much cheaper camera but I guess Nikon did it with the d750.

You said mk3... it doesn't exist. I'd be surprised and impressed if Sony added the a9 af to a much cheaper camera but I guess Nikon did it with the d750.

It is possible but Sony needs to be careful not to make the A7III to close to the A9 in terms of spec.
I am guessing it won't have the following to keep the gap between it and the A9 reasonable....

Dual SD slot
A9 body design
Z Series Battery
20fps silent shutter
Stacked CMOS RS BSI Sensor
Same A9 AF system with the number of AF points
Dedicated AF dial

I think it will get the following:-
24mp improved BSI sensor
Improved AF system but with lower number of AF points compared to A9
New mechanical shutter giving higher fps - 7-10fps
Improved body design but not like A9
Improved battery but not like A9.

Guess we will have to wait and see what Sony has lined up, whatever it is, it should be a nice upgrade to Generation 2.

Sony like to keep the same battery for their cameras, the larger DSLR (from A100 through to A99II) all use the same battery, likewise, with the exception of the A9, all the mirrorless bodies use the same battery.
I suspect the A7III will either use the old (same as A7II) or new (same as A9) battery - hopefully the latter.

Annnnd, for people who amble through life like me and don't need a Formula 1 fast camera a mk1 A7 is good value :D

It is possible but Sony needs to be careful not to make the A7III to close to the A9 in terms of spec.
I am guessing it won't have the following to keep the gap between it and the A9 reasonable....

Dual SD slot
A9 body design
Z Series Battery
20fps silent shutter
Stacked CMOS RS BSI Sensor
Same A9 AF system with the number of AF points
Dedicated AF dial

I think it will get the following:-
24mp improved BSI sensor
Improved AF system but with lower number of AF points compared to A9
New mechanical shutter giving higher fps - 7-10fps
Improved body design but not like A9

Guess we will have to wait and see what Sony has lined up, whatever it is, it should be a nice upgrade to Generation 2.

That gimped version sounds like a waste of time.

For cameras to be releasing without a decent option to move the focus point in this day and age is frankly disgusting. A6300 a6500. Lazy. Such a simple thing shouldn't be considered as an option for the "pro"cameras only

Back