The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Just a heads up folks, WEX are offering 10% off Sony lenses at the moment using voucher code "EMOUNT10"

:)

Has anyone gone Batis 85 >> FE85 at all? I prefer the look of the FE, the Focus Hold button & AF/MF switch plus the slightly lighter weight. £600 - 10% doesn't make it a bad price really.

What's holding me back is that I have a nice sharp Batis 85 & don't want to regret the buy.....!! :popcorn::popcorn:

My comment said nowt to do with the price but rather the way the industry is and why Canikon don't need to rush.
Exactly, Sony have nailed their colours to the mast re mirrorless so what would Canon/Nikon have to gain by rushing into anything.

More pros use Canon/Nikon and that will remain so for a long time to come.

The A9 is a great camera but until Sony come up with a range of pro lenses and the back up to match Canon/Nikon they're p***ing into the wind.

My comment said nowt to do with the price but rather the way the industry is and why Canikon don't need to rush.

I agree, no rush but it could back fire if Sony continues to dominate the mirrorless FF segment. As consumers completion is good, that's why mirrorless offerings would make us happy. More choice.
Another reason why prices remain high, no real competition so Sony will make every bit of profit they can.

From what I recall you weren't to happy about your g masters.

I was happy with them, it was just that I didn't notice much sharpness advantage over my previous 70-200 f4 lens, that being said, I didn't own the 70-200 f2.8 GM long enough.

Exactly, Sony have nailed their colours to the mast re mirrorless so what would Canon/Nikon have to gain by rushing into anything.

The A9 is a great camera but until Sony come up with a range of pro lenses and the back up to match Canon/Nikon they're p***ing into the wind.

At the photography show in Birmingham,im talking Monday so not sure if more a pro day than sat/sun but I was amazed how Canon had more people hanging around their stalls by a mile,
I would say the mirrorless ones pan fuji Sony and olymp were about equal and I was surprised there were not more Nikon than I saw.

At the photography show in Birmingham,im talking Monday so not sure if more a pro day than sat/sun but I was amazed how Canon had more people hanging around their stalls by a mile,
I would say the mirrorless ones pan fuji Sony and olymp were about equal and I was surprised there were not more Nikon than I saw.

Tbh, Canon is a marketing beast, plus they have the cine side covered bloody well.

After years of DSLR something new will attract attention, it's the usp Sonys going for and it's paying off, their dslr/t line was/is dead so they have to go for broke.

Last edited:
Sounds amazing. How's married life treating you?

It's pretty much exactly the same as living together :D

We're still waiting for the official wedding pictures to come and as they were taken with a Canon I do hope they're good enough :D

Dear Photographer... That's a joke if you're reading this :D

It's pretty much exactly the same as living together :D

We're still waiting for the official wedding pictures to come and as they were taken with a Canon I do hope they're good enough :D

Dear Photographer... That's a joke if you're reading this :D

Did you ask for the RAWs? :D

And a PS to the above. I was surprised when I was asked if this one which I took with my A7 and Minolta 50mm f1.2 should be included...

DSC07734.jpg

I said ok to include it if it's good enough. I was quite flattered :D

Did you ask for the RAWs? :D

Yes but I'm not too bothered as I know the pictures will be good and I wont be able to process them any better. The main thing is that we get two albums, one for here and one to send to my other halves family abroad.

Well spent a day walking about London taking photos of people and what not with the Sony. Few things. It's fiddly and a pain yes. Does it take nice photos yes. Do I suck yes. Will I have any good ones no. How many batteries 3! Did I bring only my smallest memory card yes!

Well spent a day walking about London taking photos of people and what not with the Sony. Few things. It's fiddly and a pain yes. Does it take nice photos yes. Do I suck yes. Will I have any good ones no. How many batteries 3! Did I bring only my smallest memory card yes!

So are the pics good enough that you can live with the fiddly bits and poor battery life... long term?

Is what you're churning out any better than what you were?

Last edited:
So are the pics good enough that you can live with the fiddly bits and poor battery life... long term?

Is what you're churning out any better than what you we're?
No idea not back yet. I think it was more of lack of decent light to make stuff interesting. Total white skies ruin a day.
Fiddly bits are the menu system. It's like driving a train
Battery life is liveable my grip came today and I was out so that would have helped a little.

It's the first time I've taken it out of the house with my lenses. I've got an engagement shot soon that may tickle my pickle

No idea not back yet. I think it was more of lack of decent light to make stuff interesting. Total white skies ruin a day.
Fiddly bits are the menu system. It's like driving a train
Battery life is liveable my grip came today and I was out so that would have helped a little.

It's the first time I've taken it out of the house with my lenses. I've got an engagement shot soon that may tickle my pickle

Flat sky... yuck.

Surprised, I would've thought you'd used the C buttons by now so you wouldn't have to menu dive.

Good luck with that, let us know how it goes.

Flat sky... yuck.

Surprised, I would've thought you'd used the C buttons by now so you wouldn't have to menu dive.

Good luck with that, let us know how it goes.
Twist I've barely looked at the camera to be honest. Third baby on the way some building work going on and helping the wife with another project takes up most my time I'll have a look at the C buttons I'm sure they will help no end

I've been out of the game ill for 24 hours and missed al of the fun!

@Nuzik deffo make the most of what customisation is available. Otherwise you'll just get lost. The menu system is sonys achillies heel.

How many shots did you out of those batteries? I'm getting enough generally. But I make sure pretty much everything is turned off. I do tend to turn off the the camera between shots and average about 420 shots per battery. Although with street shooting I guess you could miss shots that way as the start up time on the Sony is considerably longer than that of the Fuji or dslr.

I was happy with them, it was just that I didn't notice much sharpness advantage over my previous 70-200 f4 lens, that being said, I didn't own the 70-200 f2.8 GM long enough.

The difference between the 2 is mainly the f2.8 aperture. Which is considered "pro" for that lens.

Personally my issue with this lens is as soon as it goes into the basket, I say to myself " you could buy a d810 and the tamron version of this lens for the same money and the quality will be the same".

The difference between the 2 is mainly the f2.8 aperture. Which is considered "pro" for that lens.

Personally my issue with this lens is as soon as it goes into the basket, I say to myself " you could buy a d810 and the tamron version of this lens for the same money and the quality will be the same".

The quality won't be the same as the G Master trumps both the Canon and Nikon versions of the Tamron versions :)

https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Comp...n-on-Nikon-D810__1679_1035_1027_1009_1028_963

Last edited:
That's especially true in real world. The GM lenses sure do have a beautiful rendering. People notice the rendering more than minute sharpness differences.

Mate I'm taking real world. Not charts and graphs and %. I'm talking about how it looks on screen, and how it looks in albums.

Yes that is probably true but if your a Sony owner, do you really want a second body and lens? The problem is that there is no such thing as the best as it's always very subjective to each person.

For example the Fuji XT-2 can take some great photos and the system as a whole is excellent. You can do paid work with it etc but I prefer the Sony, some prefer DSLR's etc

When it comes to pretty much all the latest bodies & lenses it's only the upper depths of the performance which can sometimes set them apart, sometimes this is just a technical positive rather than a visible difference.

That's especially true in real world. The GM lenses sure do have a beautiful rendering. People notice the rendering more than minute sharpness differences.

Very true, what I don't get is why the 24-70mm f2.8 GM only has 9 aperture blades when both the 16-35mm & 70-200mm GM have 11.

Bokeh fest :D

Very true, what I don't get is why the 24-70mm f2.8 GM only has 9 aperture blades when both the 16-35mm & 70-200mm GM have 11.

SO in true Sony Fashion they can release a Mk2 further down the road at a higher price, and immediately sell it to all the GAS inflicted believers :D:D:D

Yes that is probably true but if your a Sony owner, do you really want a second body and lens? The problem is that there is no such thing as the best as it's always very subjective to each person.

For example the Fuji XT-2 can take some great photos and the system as a whole is excellent. You can do paid work with it etc but I prefer the Sony, some prefer DSLR's etc

When it comes to pretty much all the latest bodies & lenses it's only the upper depths of the performance which can sometimes set them apart, sometimes this is just a technical positive rather than a visible difference.

wrap up by Jonathan Howes, on Flickr

Imogen, China Town by Jonathan Howes, on Flickr

heres a couple from the 85mm. i agree it does some wonderful things. and i found it faster and more accurate to focus than the fooj 56mm 1.2.

how much is that special something worth though, and would it be noticeable shot side by side with another brand's cheaper equivalent? and is that difference worth the difference is $$.

all things to consider.

only one way to find out, once I get my cheaper FE 85mm we can go out and compare :D

most things focus faster than that 56/1.2, even my hands :p

Last edited:
wrap up by Jonathan Howes, on Flickr

Imogen, China Town by Jonathan Howes, on Flickr

heres a couple from the 85mm. i agree it does some wonderful things. and i found it faster and more accurate to focus than the fooj 56mm 1.2.

how much is that special something worth though, and would it be noticeable shot side by side with another brand's cheaper equivalent? and is that difference worth the difference is $$.

all things to consider.

I went through exactly same thoughts when I went to Fuji, honestly when it comes to it being worth the difference only you can decide that, you have to consider the cost vs performance and end result but it also comes down to how you feel using the system, working with the files and post-processing and GAS! Lol

I've been out of the game ill for 24 hours and missed al of the fun!

@Nuzik deffo make the most of what customisation is available. Otherwise you'll just get lost. The menu system is sonys achillies heel.

How many shots did you out of those batteries? I'm getting enough generally. But I make sure pretty much everything is turned off. I do tend to turn off the the camera between shots and average about 420 shots per battery. Although with street shooting I guess you could miss shots that way as the start up time on the Sony is considerably longer than that of the Fuji or dslr.
I didn't turn it off I just leave it on. I reckon I took a good few hundred yesterday not sure how many I took I didn't take as many as usual. I was just surprised how long they did last for. About the same as the Leica Q wasn't any better or worse for battery and I left everything on.

I'm contemplating getting the Batis 25mm,
I've read lots of reviews on it and they are extremely complimentary, positive reviews with the only slight negative issue being CA's that are a little worse than I'd like but should be correctable in post.
I've got the lovely "little" Sony 28 f2.0 already, its small size, light weight and very good IQ don't leave me wanting for much, but I'd prefer a 24 - 25mm lens and the Zeiss lens is meant to have that special character.
My intention would be to sell the 28 if I get the 25, (but well, hmmm, time will tell).
It will be complementing my prime collection, (CV10,15, FE28 f2.0, 35 f2.8, 55 f1.8 and 90 f2.8 Macro)

Anyone have any thoughts on whether I'm just throwing away money or if I'm going to lurve the Batis and have no regrets?

Didn't you say that the first time you bought the 70-200 2.8 that it wasn't anything special?

I understand that you're invested heavily in G Master lenses but, apart from Sony borrowing some of Leica's "special" unicorn tears to make their glass, I'd be surprised if they've reinvented the wheel. I've read a few tear downs of Sony/Zeiss glass and their use of electromagnets for focus is interesting and means less risk of wear but I also read about a few common issues surrounding the magnets becoming unstuck in some lenses which renders the AF useless.

New kit is always expensive and down the line there may be higher MP bodies that will fully utilise the GM glass but there's no denying that the current 100-400 from Sony is still £600 more than the established and proven Canon equivalent. That's a massive chunk of cash for an early adopter premium.
The canon 100-400 launched at a similar price diddnt it? And is less sharp then the Sony

I've been contemplating a wider lens for my holiday, most of the time I use a 35mm f1.4 art. Common sense is telling me to go for the 16-35 as a travel companion but I prefer a fixed fl. I have looked at the Samyang 14mm but the distortion is putting me off. I've also seen the Batis 18mm (which I'm leaning towards), just wondered what people thoughts were to a 18/35/85 combo for a general travel kit ( I also have a canon 70-200 f4 Lisa for when extra distance is required.

So none of the G master lenses are pro lenses? Lol

Yea i went to that as well on a weekend and nikon barely had more then Sony. Canon had loads though. Canon is fine.

The canon 100-400 launched at a similar price diddnt it? And is less sharp then the Sony

Think it was 2K when it launched.

I've been contemplating a wider lens for my holiday, most of the time I use a 35mm f1.4 art. Common sense is telling me to go for the 16-35 as a travel companion but I prefer a fixed fl. I have looked at the Samyang 14mm but the distortion is putting me off. I've also seen the Batis 18mm (which I'm leaning towards), just wondered what people thoughts were to a 18/35/85 combo for a general travel kit ( I also have a canon 70-200 f4 Lisa for when extra distance is required.

With A7RII you can crop easily and cover up a lot of ground. Normally 2x focal length is a good rule of thumb for prime setup (so for example 20mm, 40mm, 80mm). Your set up is not far off, so I think you are well covered (y)

Back