The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Eston / Normanby? I used to live there!

I almost forgot, I need to lodge the cash back claim for my A6500 and 18-105, that'll almost cover the cost of the sigma 30mm 1.4 :-D

I've just a very quick and unscientific test in the garden and my thoughts are:

Size and Weight:
Handling wise, you can't really tell there's a body attached, its more a lens with a little block on. Personally I quite like it, my hand is positioned halfway down the lens and it balances really well.

View attachment 107176 View attachment 107177

Focusing:

My initial thoughts aren't positive I'm afraid, it locks on well, however it did hunt a little more than I'm used to (This may be don to being near the minimum focus distance). Im not sure how it would get on tracking moving bikes etc. I will have to give it a try sometime.

Accuracy and IQ:

When it did lock it did well and was sharp

300mm. 1/320 f6.3 ISO 1250

untitled shoot,20170728 -11298-2.jpg by Chris Heathcote, on Flickr

and a crop of the same image

untitled shoot,20170728 -11298.jpg by Chris Heathcote, on Flickr

Thanks for the quick review. If it can't track things very well then its not of much use to me :(
I'd use it mainly for wildlife and shooting airshows.

It'd be nice if I could borrow one from someone, but no one who lives nearby me owns one.

Last edited:
Don't mention the rain! Went off today intending to go to a National Trust place and it just belted it down so I came home again :(

We missed the rain and had a lovely walk and picked two jars of brambles and raspberries. I left my cameras at home and wished I hadn't.

Does the a7rii mc11 combo allow focusing wide open? I know Sony messed this up with a previous firmware across all lenses including native?

Which country do you live in? :D
I'm making bramble and apple pies tomorrow and Mrs Woof Woof will put the raspberries in our fruit smoothies :D I don't think I've ever seen so many brambles, raspberries and elderberries locally.

but Sony is still £600 more expensive than canon? that's 30% more expensive :(

You have to remember that the Sony G Masters are relatively new and are using cutting edge technology, prices aren't cheap but they all seem to live up to the hype.
I guess it's personal to each and every one of us to decide if it's worth it or not.
That said both Nikon and Canon make fine glass too.

Isn't that really annoying though? The fact you're getting fleeced by Sony because you don't have any alternatives?

You could view this in a different way, it could be said that the G Masters use very fine glass and manufacturing techniques, engineered to outperform the Canon & Nikon rivals, more so when the higher resolution sensors appear from Sony.

I'd say that once Sony releases 60,70,100mp sensors the G Masters will leave the rivals for dust!!
Canon already recommend you use certain L lenses on their 5Ds/r bodies to get the best performance.

You have to remember that the Sony G Masters are relatively new and are using cutting edge technology, prices aren't cheap but they all seem to live up to the hype.
I guess it's personal to each and every one of us to decide if it's worth it or not.
That said both Nikon and Canon make fine glass too.

Didn't you say that the first time you bought the 70-200 2.8 that it wasn't anything special?

I understand that you're invested heavily in G Master lenses but, apart from Sony borrowing some of Leica's "special" unicorn tears to make their glass, I'd be surprised if they've reinvented the wheel. I've read a few tear downs of Sony/Zeiss glass and their use of electromagnets for focus is interesting and means less risk of wear but I also read about a few common issues surrounding the magnets becoming unstuck in some lenses which renders the AF useless.

New kit is always expensive and down the line there may be higher MP bodies that will fully utilise the GM glass but there's no denying that the current 100-400 from Sony is still £600 more than the established and proven Canon equivalent. That's a massive chunk of cash for an early adopter premium.

Last edited:
I'm making bramble and apple pies tomorrow and Mrs Woof Woof will put the raspberries in our fruit smoothies :D I don't think I've ever seen so many brambles, raspberries and elderberries locally.

Sounds amazing. How's married life treating you?

Back