The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Haha Sony wins, bank manager wins, we win haha you've really got nothing to lose Chris haha :p
Other than sanity, clothes off my back, wife, home etc. Lol. Just kidding. In all serious I wouldn’t mind having a play to see what the AF is like. I’m hoping it may trickle down to the A7rii. That, the joystick and zero blackout is all I want from the A9, I’m not fussed about 20fps, anything around 12fps would do me. However I think the limit may be determined by how fast it can write 50+mp Raw files

Yeah and the dual card is a much needed feature! Will have a look when I'm ready to invest in a second body.

Oh wow twist, the ibis seems to perform really well!! Great picture handheld too!! What iso?

That creamy bokeh tho! That gorgeous dof! Just checked out your Flickr addicknchips, love the bride portraits, what was your lighting set up? Off camera flash?

That creamy bokeh tho! That gorgeous dof! Just checked out your Flickr addicknchips, love the bride portraits, what was your lighting set up? Off camera flash?

Many thanks.

Used the godox ad600 fired by the x1t trigger. I’d only ever used it once in the garden as a test.

The wedding was running an hour behind due to the make up girl not getting the girls ready in time! The ceremony started 40minutes late.

So we actually missed our hour slot before the wedding breakfast for the photos and had to do them after the 3 course meal and speeches. We had about 15 mins for the bridal formals and then were pretty much shooting in the dark. I was very upset, as the whole thing ended up being completely rushed. I see the bride and groom formals as the “bread and butter” shots from a wedding, so to have a time slot cut so short was really disappointing.

I definitely agree! And fifteen minutes just isn't enough! BUT having said that if you hadn't told me I wouldn't have known, the pics look great! You did an awesome job with just fifteen minutes! Ahh good setup! How often would you say you use the ad600? Is it just for the portraits or? Also how many flashes would you get out of one full charge?

Many thanks.

Used the godox ad600 fired by the x1t trigger. I’d only ever used it once in the garden as a test.

The wedding was running an hour behind due to the make up girl not getting the girls ready in time! The ceremony started 40minutes late.

So we actually missed our hour slot before the wedding breakfast for the photos and had to do them after the 3 course meal and speeches. We had about 15 mins for the bridal formals and then were pretty much shooting in the dark. I was very upset, as the whole thing ended up being completely rushed. I see the bride and groom formals as the “bread and butter” shots from a wedding, so to have a time slot cut so short was really disappointing.
I'm going to get that flash head next week. My local finally has some in stock. The AB version

I definitely agree! And fifteen minutes just isn't enough! BUT having said that if you hadn't told me I wouldn't have known, the pics look great! You did an awesome job with just fifteen minutes! Ahh good setup! How often would you say you use the ad600? Is it just for the portraits or? Also how many flashes would you get out of one full charge?

Many thanks.

I bought the the monolight for portraiture - but due to taking a new role at work I’ve been travelling a bit more and not had time to arrange some projects I wanted it for. Although I should be using it more for some autumnal shoots in the next few weeks.

I packed it up in the boot for the wedding and used a massive octagon diffuser. There are two versions of this light - one is TTL. Mine is the manual one and is considerable cheaper than the TTL version. I think they quote at 600 shots per charge.

Well I look forward to seeing more from you! And that's a very decent amount of flashes, especially if you're only going to be using it for the portrait period of a wedding (btw The Ritz?? That must have been something right!)
I must get myself an 85mm gm!! Posted a wanted add but no ones got back to me yet.... Suppose I should start shopping around lol

Well I look forward to seeing more from you! And that's a very decent amount of flashes, especially if you're only going to be using it for the portrait period of a wedding (btw The Ritz?? That must have been something right!)
I must get myself an 85mm gm!! Posted a wanted add but no ones got back to me yet.... Suppose I should start shopping around lol

The g master is fantastic. Super sharp wide open and quite fast in good light. I love the aperture ring too. Very Fuji like..

Things to consider about that lens:
It’s big and heavy. Larger than the Nikon version.
A third party grip on the camera balances things out, but it’s all over a sudden a large set up.

I tried to use it at party event I shot about a month ago and it couldn’t focus.

But I’d still choose it first before the batis and Sony lens.

I'm not worried about size of the setup, but comfort is important to me, soooo I have been looking for third party grips, do you have any reccomendations?
&& damn!! why couldn't it focus??

I'm not worried about size of the setup, but comfort is important to me, soooo I have been looking for third party grips, do you have any reccomendations?
&& damn!! why couldn't it focus??

Get the meike one from amazon.
Don’t know it just hunted for too long. I went back to the 55 and 28mm which was better anyway for that type of environment

Brilliant mate I'll have a look now!
& I'll have to have to put the GM through its paces and see What feedback I can get, currently in talks with someone who is selling a mint condition lens.
Get the meike one from amazon.
Don’t know it just hunted for too long. I went back to the 55 and 28mm which was better anyway for that type of environment

Question how many Sony owners on here are using screen protectors?

Brilliant mate I'll have a look now!
& I'll have to have to put the GM through its paces and see What feedback I can get, currently in talks with someone who is selling a mint condition lens.

Question how many Sony owners on here are using screen protectors?

There is actually a really thin protector on the screen already - but it’s crap and will mark up really quickly to the point where it’ll impair viewing. Get a proper one over the top ASAP.

I try to have a screen protector on all my cameras. I wish I could manage to fit one without ending up with bubbles in it.

There is actually a really thin protector on the screen already - but it’s crap and will mark up really quickly to the point where it’ll impair viewing. Get a proper one over the top ASAP.
I try to have a screen protector on all my cameras. I wish I could manage to fit one without ending up with bubbles in it.

Ahhh okay added to my basket! And ohhh perhaps try the glass screen protectors? I find they're easier to install bubble free! :D can't wait for my new gear to arrive!

Ahhh okay added to my basket! And ohhh perhaps try the glass screen protectors? I find they're easier to install bubble free! :D can't wait for my new gear to arrive!
I go for GGS glass (or very similar) or Sony's own as both install without bubbles. It's only the film types that do IME.

I agree Jonathan ! The glass ones usually apply without bubbles & GGS seems good to me :)
So camera ordered, 35mm distagon ordered, screen protetor ordered, battery Grip ordered,
Shopping around to try and get the 35mm GM & now just need to research on what batteries are best for value.
I go for GGS glass (or very similar) or Sony's own as both install without bubbles. It's only the film types that do IME.

I use GGS screen protectors on most of my cameras, unfortunately they are no more resistant to smudges than other you can of course clean them as often as you like, as you are not actually touching the screen itself I keep a few Zeiss lens wipes handy so I can give it a quick clean when the smudges begin to irritate me.

Saw a video from Matt granger about the af tracking on the d850 and not only is it poor vs a A9 but probably worse off then the a7r2?

On not so great lighting it can't track at a all! I'm talking shadow/cloudy settings. Even the a7r2 tracks brilliant in a cloudy day /shadow area.

Plus the buffer rate was below par of my 5d4 it seems despite having a xqd card?

Matt had to shoot jpg in order to get better buffer.

His d5 blew away his d850.

O and that blackout in view finder. Yuck!

Back