The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Lovely :D and nice about the joystick and the battery, I don't think I care about the rest :D

But still no A7III? I thought that the A7 was the weakest camera in the lineup and would be updated sooner rather than later but maybe they did the R to compete with Nikon? I wonder if there'll be an A7III anytime soon?
A7mk2 was replaced by a9

Same af as a9 but same spec as a7rii in terms of phase :confused:

I don’t think it has the same AF system as the A9 as Sony have marketed the A7R III as being 2x faster than the A7R II.
63% coverage is still pretty decent :)

How does this camera compare to the Nikon D850 which is its direct competitor and why Sony perhaps rushed it to the market before the A7 III?

The Sony A9 is in a different segment to the A7R III, if you want the better AF, speed and responsiveness then the A9 is for you.

A9 is there to compete with the d5 and 1dx’s of this world.

Really, outside of sports and wildlife - 10fps and double the A7rii af speed are going to be more than enough for most.

Sony has been looking at my Christmas wish list :D
So who wants to buy my entire e-mount gear so I can buy A7R3+24-105 :D

Why the voigtlander 40mm F1.2 is too fast for you? :D

The Voigtlander is a lovely lens but I do like using cheap old lenses and there's a little gap in my Rokkor line up between the 35mm f1.8 and 50mm f1.4. A 45mm might slot in there nicely :D but they're a bit hard to find at a reasonable price at the mo. A while ago they seemed to be all over but not now :( Plus the Voigtlander doesn't quite give the funkiness that you get from older lenses at their widest apertures unless you're shooting close up.

Apparently it does 10fps in mechanical mode. useful for fast action shooting in a studio with speedlites.

I may get one purposely for studio shooting if the buffer really has improved and sell the 5d4 and a7r2 which in itself would pay the price of the A7r3 . i will most likely get it on grey if its 1k cheaper.

May get it after the new year.

If anyone selling their A7R II, please give me a shout?

I will be putting up my A7 II for sale soon.

I've got one I'll probably sell but you may have to wait a little... Of course you could make me an offer I can't refuse :D

Apparently it does 10fps in mechanical mode. useful for fast action shooting in a studio with speedlites.

I may get one purposely for studio shooting if the buffer really has improved and sell the 5d4 and a7r2 which in itself would pay the price of the A7r3 . i will most likely get it on grey if its 1k cheaper.

May get it after the new year.

You’d think Sony would have put this mechanical shutter in the A9 as they seem very close releases, but I guess Sony are saving this the next A9x body.

Some key positives over the A9.....

- 10 fps mechanical shutter
- USB 3.1 interface
- Improved 5-axis IBIS @ 5.5 stops
- Anti-flicker mode
- Pixel Shift mode
- Higher resolution, DR & ISO abilities
- Video Profiles & Logging
- PlayMemories Functions
- Touch Screen improvement (minor)

A great and surprising move from Sony in terms of release schedule :)

$3200 RRP, so yeah, £3200 probably... $1300 for the 24-105mm f/4 - not extortionate, but not really in kit-lens territory either.
Shame as it's a great focal length for a walkabout lens.

Definitely tempted by the 24-105mm at £1,200 if sharp across frame. The 24-70mm 2.8 GM would be wasted on landscapes. The 24-70mm f4 Zeiss is often considered a poor performer. OSS would be useful as I have older bodies without IBIS.

You’d think Sony would have put this mechanical shutter in the A9 as they seem very close releases, but I guess Sony are saving this the next A9x body.

Some key positives over the A9.....

- 10 fps mechanical shutter
- USB 3.1 interface
- Improved 5-axis IBIS @ 5.5 stops
- Anti-flicker mode
- Pixel Shift mode
- Higher resolution, DR & ISO abilities
- Video Profiles & Logging
- PlayMemories Functions
- Touch Screen improvement (minor)

A great and surprising move from Sony in terms of release schedule :)
And its cheaper then the A9 UK Retail price..

I think im almost officially done with Canon

I don’t think it has the same AF system as the A9 as Sony have marketed the A7R III as being 2x faster than the A7R II.
63% coverage is still pretty decent :)

How does this camera compare to the Nikon D850 which is its direct competitor and why Sony perhaps rushed it to the market before the A7 III?

The Sony A9 is in a different segment to the A7R III, if you want the better AF, speed and responsiveness then the A9 is for you.

In the spec list it contradicts itself, says same af as a9 then it says 399 phase points.... that makes no sense. The only thing is it has additional contrast points over the a7rii... I'm not sure the difference is going to be that noticeable between a7rii and iii until it's very low light and those slow contrast points come into play.

In the spec list it contradicts itself, says same af as a9 then it says 399 phase points.... that makes no sense. The only thing is it has additional contrast points over the a7rii... I'm not sure the difference is going to be that noticeable between a7rii and iii until it's very low light and those slow contrast points come into play.

I believe both the official press release and technical specifications make no mention of having it having the A9 AF system, only mentioned that it’s 2x better than the A7R II?

I believe both the official press release and technical specifications make no mention of having it having the A9 AF system, only mentioned that it’s 2x better than the A7R II?

Phoblographer via sar. Point remains 2x better under what conditions with the same amount of phase points.

Back