The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I managed it when I bought the A7R II, so its definitely possible, depends on your haggling abilities lol. ;)
That said, its still tempting to buy Grey these days.

I don't think it has to do with haggling, rather how much and how often the profit from you.

Was it just after price increases?

I don't think it has to do with haggling, rather how much and how often the profit from you.

Was it just after price increases?

Not always the case as LCE sold quite a few Sony A7RII bodies for £1999 each which I just missed out on, the RRP at the time was £2499.
I shopped around until I found somebody who could match it, this was pre-brexit.
I tried to get some discount on Fuji gear from the same place but they couldn't offer me anything at all, so there is definitely a bigger margin for dealerships to play with on Sony gear.
Perhaps times have changed and Sony has tightened margins, leading to no more big discounts :(

It'd be nice if there was a price drop if the £ rises after some future interest rate rise.

Don't hold your breath.

Claim £100 cashback from Sony when you purchase this product.
Purchase this product from October 18th, 2017 up to and including January 21st, 2017 and you'll be eligible to claim cashback from Sony. This product must be bought from Amazon.co.uk and not a third party merchant on the Amazon platform - please check before adding to your basket. Find out more.
have they got the January year wrong?

Claim £100 cashback from Sony when you purchase this product.
Purchase this product from October 18th, 2017 up to and including January 21st, 2017 and you'll be eligible to claim cashback from Sony. This product must be bought from Amazon.co.uk and not a third party merchant on the Amazon platform - please check before adding to your basket. Find out more.
have they got the January year wrong?

think thats an amazon typo and should be jan 18

Every preview states that the US $ price is the same as the original A7R II launch price.
So for us that would have been £2499! :eek:

I’m looking forward to the A9R ;)

I may have changed my mind about the A7R3 in the past 24 hours.

Joy stick - check
Dual card - check
Half decent battery - check
Flip and tilt screen - check
Good AF - check
Good DR - check

I think it's time to try out a Sony body.

the issue with the ergonomics appears to have been resolved. so there isn't much not to like really.

Every preview states that the US $ price is the same as the original A7R II launch price.
So for us that would have been £2499! :eek:

I’m looking forward to the A9R ;)

when i heard you'd bought the a9, i knew then that that camera wasn't good enough for your needs. :)

Maybe once we're free of the neo fascist Eurocrat megalomaniacs we can negotiate a deal and get A7RIII's for factory prices.

The haters are always saying that Sony make DVD players and they're about £90 so that's what an A7/A9 should cost so maybe that could be Boris's target deal price when he's PM. Actually, another thought, if Jeremy Corbyn wins the next election once interest rates hit 20% I'll buy you all a new A7 :D

Last edited:
Just spent an hour this evening watching A7R III preview videos :D
Sony seem to be making the right moves.
I wonder what they have in store next.

We don't haggle enough in this country.

I cringe seeing my Mrs haggle in Thailand but it is the thing to do.

Haggling is good fun, I've done it even in supermarkets :D
You don't ask you don't get :p

I haggle a lot more now too, even online transactions by email, or see a price online and all up and haggle then pay by card. You win some, you lose some but at worse I pay sticker price which is no loss at all.

Basically Sony got so p***ed off with Riz trying to haggle £500 of every purchase they decided to bump up the price in preparation of the next gas attack

Lol :D seriously though, it’s very expensive kit, got to haggle ;)
Money saved helps the brain absorb the serious amount of money I’ve blown on Sony gear!

Last edited:
Looks a very promising all rounder this. As per usual, price will most likely be the sticking point :( Even I'm almost interested in this camera ;)

Looks a very promising all rounder this. As per usual, price will most likely be the sticking point :( Even I'm almost interested in this camera ;)
If it has a RS sensor design like the A9 with no black out I would have seriously been tempted also :eek:

There seems to be mixed reports as to the lack of blackout,the Northrop’s for example state that it doesn’t have zero blackout . owever I have read that it has 8fps continuous live view. Others state that it appears to have zero blackout, when in reality it is simply showing the image taken continuously so this is after the event. Guess we’ll have to wait for a hands on review to know for sure

There seems to be mixed reports as to the lack of blackout,the Northrop’s for example state that it doesn’t have zero blackout . owever I have read that it has 8fps continuous live view. Others state that it appears to have zero blackout, when in reality it is simply showing the image taken continuously so this is after the event. Guess we’ll have to wait for a hands on review to know for sure

That's right, its not a live view, its just a slide show of previous images taken when running at 8fps mode with minimal black out in between the images ..... ;)

DOOOOOOOO IIIITTTTT. I've been pretty impressed by the a7rii so far.

From the marketing material it says 2x faster than a7rii in low light which makes sense as it has more contrast points, same phase as a7rii but with improved algorithm so I'm not sure the af will be 2x as fast with pd in say afc. Not much point in my eyes going from a7rii to a7riii for so much more dosh, it's an evolution not revolution like the a7rii was at the time and the a9 is now.

Ideally I'd love an a9 with the 42mp sensor, would be nuts.

Last edited:
DOOOOOOOO IIIITTTTT. I've been pretty impressed by the a7rii so far.

From the marketing material it says 2x faster than a7rii in low light which makes sense as it has more contrast points, same phase as a7rii but with improved algorithm so I'm not sure the af will be 2x as fast with pd in say afc. Not much point in my eyes going from a7rii to a7riii for so much more dosh, it's an evolution not revolution like the a7rii was at the time and the a9 is now.

Ideally I'd love an a9 with the 42mp sensor, would be nuts.

Sony A9R will probably come with a even higher resolution sensor setting a new benchmark for DR/ISO etc ... I'd say easily 65mp+ for the A9R.

:D
Sony A9R will probably come with a even higher resolution sensor setting a new benchmark for DR/ISO etc ... I'd say easily 65mp+ for the A9R.

And then a round of glass upgrades to make use of the sensor resolution and to keep the believers committed to the bandwagon :D

Followed by the A9Rii with improved stabilisation as anyone remotely shakey wont be able to get a sharp picture at 65MP :eek:

Back