The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

N

Nope because I am a G Master whore :D

Where's the G master version? :D

As I've said before, the Sigma 20mm f1.8 I had for my Canon in FE mount would be ideal but that's not going to happen.

I might stick with the old lenses but honestly I don't get a lot of time for picture taking these days so is £700-1000 for a modern lens really worth it when it'll mostly sit on the shelf :(

Last edited:
samyang arrived. wow - mostly plastic. but i guess the price reflects build quality to some extent. on the plus side it is incredibly light. may as well act as body cap for the camera. will take it out with my to london tomorrow and hopefully get some test shots done.

When I want the most compact camera and AF lens package the Sony 35mm f2.8 is my choice and I'm sure that the Samyang will be as good :D

Where's the G master version? :D

As I've said before, the Sigma 20mm f1.8 I had for my Canon in FE mount would be ideal but that's not going to happen.

I might stick with the old lenses but honestly I don't get a lot of time for picture taking these days so is £700-1000 for a modern lens really worth it when it'll mostly sit on the shelf.
A wise choice..... my Sony, Apple GAS is on hold at the moment as we are looking for a new house!!! :eek:

Interested to hear thoughts on that 35mm Samyang.
As much as I've been half thinking about swapping my 24-105 for the GM, I think I'm going to keep it and perhaps swap out the 35 Loxia for an AF variant instead.... Samyang is an option but a used Distagon f1.4 is the same price as the Loxia was (can return it...) Don't "need" super AF though so the Samyang might be an option or indeed an adapted Siggy 35

Anyone got an A7R III with the new 24-105mm yet? Its still on pre-order on most of the websites.

Interested to hear some user reviews and how it handles, balances etc.

As much as I've been half thinking about swapping my 24-105 for the GM, I think I'm going to keep it and perhaps swap out the 35 Loxia for an AF variant instead.... Samyang is an option but a used Distagon f1.4 is the same price as the Loxia was (can return it...) Don't "need" super AF though so the Samyang might be an option or indeed an adapted Siggy 35

Samyang 35mm f1.4 looks a decent option at half the price of the Sony zeiss. Now I have the sigma adapter I’d probably look for the art lens.

Anyone got an A7R III with the new 24-105mm yet? Its still on pre-order on most of the websites.

Interested to hear some user reviews and how it handles, balances etc.

I do. Handles very nicely and seems a nice size/weight for the body although I have picked up the Sony GPX grip which gives me a bit more hand grip! I usually use a cheap L Bracket but the one I ordered from eBay is rubbish!!

I can't really fault the lens, seems well built and IQ seems good, some folk are moaning about vignetting at 24mm but I can't say I've noticed too much, waiting on the A7RIII being supported by Adobe and hopefully a lens profile there will sort any issues anyway!

Samyang 35mm f1.4 looks a decent option at half the price of the Sony zeiss. Now I have the sigma adapter I’d probably look for the art lens.

The MC-11 isn't too dear actually, good offers on the Sigma 35 currently..... Tempting...

Had a read of the Laowa 15 review, seems a nice lens but I can't help but feel that for the cost of that and a Loxia 21 I'd just buy the 16-35 GM...

samyang arrived. wow - mostly plastic. but i guess the price reflects build quality to some extent. on the plus side it is incredibly light. may as well act as body cap for the camera. will take it out with my to london tomorrow and hopefully get some test shots done.

I will be interested to hear and see some samples as well and how well/or ok/ it behaves (samyang 35mm F/2.8)

And yes, I agree the price difference between UK and grey import is BIG.
I will try to resist my GAS at the moment, got only the Sony A6000 at the moment.

And speaking of A6000, here is one fresh sample from my recent trip to Bulgaria a few days ago (paired with Sigma 60mm F/2.8)

- Soviet power - by Kalin Kalpachev, on Flickr

you guys are never satisfied:D

Guys, if Sony release an 7S3 will/ do you think it be aimed mainly at videographers.

Ok, do you also think it will have better dynamic range / low light performance than the R3?

Downsizing the higher mp count pictures can begin to close any gap so maybe there wont be much in it?

Downsizing the higher mp count pictures can begin to close any gap so maybe there wont be much in it?

Agreed. It' only when you get to iso 25600+ you'll see a difference.... and probably a little lower in video. The DR will be tweaked for higher iso where the a7sii is aimed, lower iso and the r3 dr will kill it.

Ain't been around. Been super busy trying to secure my work for the new year and beyond.

Hopefully end of the week I'll post impressions and pics on the a7r3. Done two shoots already plus went to Abu Dhabi last week with it

Forgot how much I love this lens, struggled with the one I briefly bought for the D850 but its nice not having any AF adjust issues!

20171205 - Harris Gin - Sigma 35mm by Chris Mitchell, on Flickr

Very nice indeed, I'm guessing that would be the 35mm Art. I too love this lens, I think the only thing that would prise me away from this would be if Sigma bought it out in FE mount. I have both this and the Sony FE16-35 f4 and its the Sigma that lives on my camera

Very nice indeed, I'm guessing that would be the 35mm Art. I too love this lens, I think the only thing that would prise me away from this would be if Sigma bought it out in FE mount. I have both this and the Sony FE16-35 f4 and its the Sigma that lives on my camera

It is indeed Chris, love this lens, I had one originally back in 2012 when it came out within about a day of its launch, it lived on my D600 for a long time!!!
It was really this or the Zeiss Distagon 35mm, for £650 including the MC-11 it was a bargain.

Ain't been around. Been super busy trying to secure my work for the new year and beyond.

Hopefully end of the week I'll post impressions and pics on the a7r3. Done two shoots already plus went to Abu Dhabi last week with it

And a in-depth Sony A9 vs A7R III review :D
From what I have read, some user reviews say the AF and High ISO ability is still better on the A9.

Of course the AF is better.

Surely thats a given, being as the A9 was marketed for the action photographers. Also wouldn't they be shooting themselves in the foot giving the A7riii the same AF as the A9, not only from a cost point of view, but I imagine a high resolution camera with the A9 focusing would be awesome for wildlife etc. One of the things that has pleased me about the A7rii is how much you can crop into images and still retain detail. I think if they can get the tracking somewhere close to the A9 even at 10fps they would be onto a winner

Surely thats a given, being as the A9 was marketed for the action photographers. Also wouldn't they be shooting themselves in the foot giving the A7riii the same AF as the A9, not only from a cost point of view, but I imagine a high resolution camera with the A9 focusing would be awesome for wildlife etc. One of the things that has pleased me about the A7rii is how much you can crop into images and still retain detail. I think if they can get the tracking somewhere close to the A9 even at 10fps they would be onto a winner

Yup, not to fussed about letting camera track for me as it's never perfect, what I need is fast, reliable continuous AF. Unfortunately that's where my a7rii let me down a bit, other than that and the expensive lenses it's an amazing camera and there was a lot to like. The a9r would be awesome.

Last edited:
I’m sure the official result was “too close to call.” However Sony mirrorless is now capable of going head to head with the high end DSLR’s regardless of what its being used for :)

The size comparison pictures on page 2 and 7 matter to me. There's no way I'm going to carry a big fat lump like that Nikon let alone whip it out and wave it at people.

:D

PS.
I read a post on Luminous Landscape, the poster said that the A7Rx felt like a "toy," a "good toy." Comments like this really make me wonder about the posters and the whole I'm a man and I want a manly camera attitude but maybe it's because I spent much of my working life with test gear and I'd liken the smaller mirrorless cameras to that gear as they're relatively compact and look like they were built to perform a precise function with their precise buttons and controls. I'd liken some DSLR's more to the sort of kit I'd expect to find on a construction site or in an agricultural setting, bigger, chunkier and with controls you can jab a gloved finger at. I've always preferred precise test gear to industrialised power tools :D

Last edited:
Back