The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Considering a drum scan of a large format slide gives an equivalent of somewhere between 400 and 600 megapixels, I reckon 60mp should be easy.

My sensor is 5”x4”, yours is 36mm x 24mm but size isn’t everything [emoji6]
now that's:plus1: real full frame:D

BHphoto send out 2 x A7RIII instead of one :D

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/bhphoto-shipping-two-a7riii-instead-one-customers/#disqus_thread

It's a lovely sunny but cold day here but I can't go out so I played with this...

View attachment 115972

and thought that I rather liked a portrait crop...

View attachment 115973

Had a similar thing myself a while back though for a much lower priced item, ordered a lastolite magnetic background bar, they sent the full kit including the stand so I phoned them to let them know, to say they where shocked was an understatement, they said they had never had anyone report getting more than they ordered then told me to keep it for being so honest.

That's easily the most annoying video I've ever seen. Thanks.

Do you wish you'd bought a pair of a7r3 btw?

Yes annoying but good at the same time (for marketing).

The A7R III is great but I’m not sure I’d want to go back to a high resolution 42mp sensor just yet.
Having 24mp, useable silent shutter and zero blackout still appeals to me over what the A7R III offers. :)

Yes annoying but good at the same time (for marketing).

The A7R III is great but I’m not sure I’d want to go back to a high resolution 42mp sensor just yet.
Having 24mp, useable silent shutter and zero blackout still appeals to me over what the A7R III offers. :)

Keep telling yourself that :)

Yea my a7r3 eats memory cards for breakfast and I an still waiting on an update from lr for raw support

Lightroom support shouldn’t have been out by now. Are you talking about the standalone version or CC?

The 42mp sure does eat Storage, no different from the A7R II though.

Last edited:
Initial impressions on A7r3

So i have been using the A7r3 since it first launched a few weeks ago and probably one of the selected A7r3 users in the wild that has used this camera extensively to the point that i may have already accumulated almost half GB worth of Stills.

I am currently re-structuring my workflow and data storage due to the huge amount of images i have taken recently.

So basically the day after i collected the A7r3, i flew to Abu Dhabi to watch the final F1 race of the season.

I stayed there for 5 days to have some time to explore the city as well with the A7r3 and A9.

The A7r3 was used primarily for generic shots with the 24-70 g master more or less permanently attached to it to take some architect.touristy shots with it while occasionally i would put the 100-400 g master on it to test it shooting F1 cars.

After Abu Dhabi i also have done 3 full studio shoots with it as this is one of the main purpose of getting this camera. For HIGH res studio work with fast burst rate.

Below is some pros and cons of this camera :

Cons:

• No PlayMemory apps that allow you to use things like smooth reflections and time lapses within the camera itself.

• No dual UHS 2 support meaning it is slow to Clear the buffer when shooting dual mode both raws(takes nearly a minute to fully clear).

• Wish it had better weather sealing at the bottom of the camera(see teardown article) and on the inputs at the side of the camera.

• Still can't use touch screen to navigate the menu’s
Pros:

• Rate images and organise burst of images in folders

• Coming from A9, the control setup is simple to migrate onto this camera(why can't canikon just keep same button layout and ergonomics on there d5/d850?)

• Better battery performance

• Better AF than the A7r2

• No Stop Down issues when shoot at f8 in low light in a studio setting(The rumour saying otherwise was false).

• USB C, finally…

• Stiffer mount like the A9

• 10 fps in Mechanical shutter means you can do some nice action shots in studio(my lights can cope fine, i did one scene in the studio at 10fps)

• Larger buffer capacity then the 5d4 even though the A7r3 has larger files.

• Joystick

• Touch to focus seems to be as good as Canon’s dual pixel AF

• Image quality

• Separate Custom button settings for video

• Better Skin tones and AWB then the A7r2.

Overal is it worth upgrading from an A7r2? Definitely yes. I could never go back to using the A7r2. When you combine all the pros i mentioned, it makes a lot of impact in real world use.

For me, the pros allows me to shoot faster and review images faster during a live shoot.

Gives me the ability to tether using USB C which is faster.

10fps Mechanical shooting using flashes.

AF on fast moving subjects better.

Shoot longer on a single battery

Move AF points faster with the joystick.

No need to fight with editing and fixing skin tones that look cold out of the box.

Mark/Rate an image during a live shoot when a model sees the images and says wow that specific image is nice!

Combined all that and it is a massive upgrade for me and maybe for others.

Ok there is no 60mp 16 stop DR with native ISO 50, but the 42MP is already world class, the 15 Stops of DR is also already world class and where all use to ISO 100 that in real world use, will extra 15mp, 1 stop DR and half a stop ISO improve your shooting?

Maybe it will but its up to you to decide. Weigh up all the pros and cons i and others have listed and check and see if the combined list of improvements would make your life easier taking the images you take. Not whether it will make you a better photographer.

DSC01231 by Jon Richy, on Flickr

I will post more pics later but that pic above is JPG no editing

Initial impressions on A7r3

So i have been using the A7r3 since it first launched a few weeks ago and probably one of the selected A7r3 users in the wild that has used this camera extensively to the point that i may have already accumulated almost half GB worth of Stills.

I am currently re-structuring my workflow and data storage due to the huge amount of images i have taken recently.

So basically the day after i collected the A7r3, i flew to Abu Dhabi to watch the final F1 race of the season.

I stayed there for 5 days to have some time to explore the city as well with the A7r3 and A9.

The A7r3 was used primarily for generic shots with the 24-70 g master more or less permanently attached to it to take some architect.touristy shots with it while occasionally i would put the 100-400 g master on it to test it shooting F1 cars.

After Abu Dhabi i also have done 3 full studio shoots with it as this is one of the main purpose of getting this camera. For HIGH res studio work with fast burst rate.

Below is some pros and cons of this camera :

Cons:

• No PlayMemory apps that allow you to use things like smooth reflections and time lapses within the camera itself.

• No dual UHS 2 support meaning it is slow to Clear the buffer when shooting dual mode both raws(takes nearly a minute to fully clear).

• Wish it had better weather sealing at the bottom of the camera(see teardown article) and on the inputs at the side of the camera.

• Still can't use touch screen to navigate the menu’s
Pros:

• Rate images and organise burst of images in folders

• Coming from A9, the control setup is simple to migrate onto this camera(why can't canikon just keep same button layout and ergonomics on there d5/d850?)

• Better battery performance

• Better AF than the A7r2

• No Stop Down issues when shoot at f8 in low light in a studio setting(The rumour saying otherwise was false).

• USB C, finally…

• Stiffer mount like the A9

• 10 fps in Mechanical shutter means you can do some nice action shots in studio(my lights can cope fine, i did one scene in the studio at 10fps)

• Larger buffer capacity then the 5d4 even though the A7r3 has larger files.

• Joystick

• Touch to focus seems to be as good as Canon’s dual pixel AF

• Image quality

• Separate Custom button settings for video

• Better Skin tones and AWB then the A7r2.

Overal is it worth upgrading from an A7r2? Definitely yes. I could never go back to using the A7r2. When you combine all the pros i mentioned, it makes a lot of impact in real world use.

For me, the pros allows me to shoot faster and review images faster during a live shoot.

Gives me the ability to tether using USB C which is faster.

10fps Mechanical shooting using flashes.

AF on fast moving subjects better.

Shoot longer on a single battery

Move AF points faster with the joystick.

No need to fight with editing and fixing skin tones that look cold out of the box.

Mark/Rate an image during a live shoot when a model sees the images and says wow that specific image is nice!

Combined all that and it is a massive upgrade for me and maybe for others.

Ok there is no 60mp 16 stop DR with native ISO 50, but the 42MP is already world class, the 15 Stops of DR is also already world class and where all use to ISO 100 that in real world use, will extra 15mp, 1 stop DR and half a stop ISO improve your shooting?

Maybe it will but its up to you to decide. Weigh up all the pros and cons i and others have listed and check and see if the combined list of improvements would make your life easier taking the images you take. Not whether it will make you a better photographer.

DSC01231 by Jon Richy, on Flickr

I will post more pics later but that pic above is JPG no editing

Sell the a9 and get another a7riii

Guys... I was outbid on two A6000's and today received a "second chance" to buy email. Is this a a scam? I'm thinking the seller got someone to bump the price up expecting me to up my bid but maybe I'm suspicious? What's it all about? Would you make another offer or ignore it?

Guys... I was outbid on two A6000's and today received a "second chance" to buy email. Is this a a scam? I'm thinking the seller got someone to bump the price up expecting me to up my bid but maybe I'm suspicious? What's it all about? Would you make another offer or ignore it?

It’s possible they got someone to keep the bids going. Or the winner may have had buyers remorse and said sorry I can’t go ahead with the purchase. Either way, you must have bid to a certain amount and must have been happy to buy it at the value your bid was made at - so happy days?

Hope you keep us posted :D

Thanks Alan. I’m running a thread in the Film & Conventional section on here, along with my Instagram and the new website I’ve built for the launch;

Instagram - @everydayphotographics
Website - http://chroma.camera

I was on this weeks’ Sunny16 Podcast (iTunes) and Emulsive.org will be releasing an article about the camera next week (yes, I’m hammering social media where I can!)

I’ve redesigned the rear standard slightly to make it narrower and lighter so am finishing that off tonight (the bed needs to be narrowed now as well!) before finishing off the website.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I'll have a think about that evil bay item.

I took my A7 and cheap Tokina 17mm out today :D

My car with the help of Nik Filters and sliders to the max :D

1-DSC08831.jpg

The Tees and monsters follow...

1-DSC08808.jpg

1-DSC08817.jpg

1-DSC08824.jpg

1-DSC08801.jpg

I'm quite pleased with this lens. Like the Vivitar 19mm I recently bought it's better than I expected it to be. These lenses may not stand comparison to modern wide lenses but for smallish pictures viewed normally I think they're ok :D

Last edited:
One more, leaf, grass and frost...

2-DSC08827-N.jpg

It was difficult to keep myself out of this picture :D

Last edited:
I'm just watching it on the news.

Up North we've had a couple of bitterly cold days but it's not as cold today and no sign what so ever of snow.

Here's a picture of the lovely Mrs WW with a Mammoth :D

1-DSC08795.jpg

A couple more :D

1-DSC08806-N.jpg

Look! A Monster! :D

1-DSC08814.jpg

Last edited:
We're getting a light dusting of hail sized snow at the moment and there's a cake icing dusting over the road and pavement but the grass is largely clear.

Great stuff! :D

That one and a half goats picture phased me for a while :D

Ffordes are doing well from me this year... another of those 'I must really try one of those some day lenses'* found its way to me on Thursday afternoon, a Zeiss C/Y Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 MM.

First impressions: it's very well behaved. Sharp as a tack, minimal axial CA compared with my FD and OM 135s, and there is no discernible distortion.

20 Old Street
by Rob Telford, on Flickr

Stafford Cripps Estate

City Road

* The C/Y Tessar 45mm f/2.8 is also on this list; I don't know how many times I've very nearly bought one

Last edited:
Back