The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I've already confirmed it's fine on the a7r3... So done loads of shots and I was the original bloke who kicked up a fuss. Even a Sony artisan contacted me about it

Did you confirm if there's different behaviour with different lenses as the person in the thread mentioned? What is the correct behaviour under AFC and presumably it doesn't stop down when focusing with AFS?

Did you confirm if there's different behaviour with different lenses as the person in the thread mentioned? What is the correct behaviour under AFC and presumably it doesn't stop down when focusing with AFS?
I tried batis 85. The 55mm and 24-70 gm. They all open up the iris to get focus and close again to shoot.

Trust I shoot in a very dark studio as I kill all the lights and cover the windows and just have one single modelling lamp on and shoot most at f8

Dpreview says Fuji xh1 AF not as good as equally priced Nikon or Sony cameras. It seems to be pretty similar to xt2...

Just getting all the gear ready for this shoot and have charged my trusty D700/D3 batteries as a backup incase something goes wrong. I've only switched to mirrorless a few months and it's so weird shooting with a DSLR again firing off a few test shots

Using the Godox AD200 and TT350 if I'm gonna need on camera flash. It's such a small setup gear wise compared to what I used before. Bit nervous about shooting weddings with it but I'm sure I'll be grand!

Just getting all the gear ready for this shoot and have charged my trusty D700/D3 batteries as a backup incase something goes wrong. I've only switched to mirrorless a few months and it's so weird shooting with a DSLR again firing off a few test shots

Using the Godox AD200 and TT350 if I'm gonna need on camera flash. It's such a small setup gear wise compared to what I used before. Bit nervous about shooting weddings with it but I'm sure I'll be grand!

It'll be fine, don't worry, Sony build is top class :)

Lava_zpsowarossi.png

Where do I get one of them then?

Jonney can teach you ................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................:D

Should I rather say... all the A9 needs is a good eye?

Last edited:
So I know everyone is excited about the A7III, but I’m a cheapskate and still using an original A7

Happened to notice WEX had an mint A7II with only 158 actuations AND they have a 10% discount on all used stock today...

£840 later I should be receiving it early next week

As I only ever shoot manual focus, I’m not really interested in AF performance, but reduced sensor reflections in night shots and IBIS will be really useful

So I know everyone is excited about the A7III, but I’m a cheapskate and still using an original A7

Happened to notice WEX had an mint A7II with only 158 actuations AND they have a 10% discount on all used stock today...

As I only ever shoot manual focus, I’m not really interested in AF performance, but reduced sensor reflections in night shots and IBIS will be really useful

Good price for dealer stock!

The most important thing to me is that wide aperture primes focus accurately, don't need tuned to each body to perform as they are meant. AF modules in dslr cameras (all of them) have issues wether it's a sigma art lens or a native L series lens. It's the single biggest reason I ditched dslrs.

Also all this banging on about d750 etc vs the 693 point af in a7iii and a9 isn't even up for debate, the outer points are at the very best poor in terms of accuracy. In fact they were that crap that I only ever used the better cross type points
The outer points have always been fine one my D750, tack sharp with my 70-200mm f2.8 and 50mm f1.8g

2.8 they did not have the f4. In caf I would say the D750 with VRii was better. And yes I know someone will disagree!
That’s interesting, and also my concerns with the A7riii and A7iii

Reactions: dkh
I would like too see some low light action CAF shots from experienced Sony users.

Maybe I was just not very good with different tech lol. The D750 just seemed so much easier, especially through the view finder!

On another note, Burgess Hill Park Cameras have now put nearly everything in glass cabinets. Apart from Canon Cameras, you could abuse them all you like lol.

You could have had my 3 month old one with 2 year warranty for less than that.

I would like too see some low light action CAF shots from experienced Sony users.

Maybe I was just not very good with different tech lol. The D750 just seemed so much easier, especially through the view finder!

On another note, Burgess Hill Park Cameras have now put nearly everything in glass cabinets. Apart from Canon Cameras, you could abuse them all you like lol.
To be fair there’s not much to get wrong, put it in single point AF-C and single point AF-S aim at the subject and see how fast it acquires focus.

Getting the best setting for tracking different subjects takes time to learn, but as far as seeing how fast AF acquisition is in the environment you’re talking about doesn’t require any special setting.

Well because I'm not perfect and sometimes people consider things I don't, I tend to make better decisions with more information.

Yes obviously first hand experience trumps all but I don't have time to pop into London to play around with the camera and until I do this kind of stuff is useful to me.

Plus every minute spent here is a minute not doing actual work!

Careful!

Language like that could get you reported to a Mod!

Back