The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Take everything with a handful of salt. 9 out of 10 people will be happy with a new toy..

Although I do think the a7iii will be a great camera - image quality would be a step back for me from my A7rii. So I’m kind of thinking if I’m going to gas some money it should go on glass, or on a camera system I enjoy shooting with.

And the camera system you enjoy shooting with is the fudge

Take everything with a handful of salt. 9 out of 10 people will be happy with a new toy..

Although I do think the a7iii will be a great camera - image quality would be a step back for me from my A7rii. So I’m kind of thinking if I’m going to gas some money it should go on glass, or on a camera system I enjoy shooting with.

I’m just going to sit back and enjoy the pics as they roll in!

I don't get a kick out of new gear as I used to anymore. I recall getting the 5D4 and when I got home, I didn't open it for about 4 hours until I've had dinner and sat down to relax. Then I unboxed it, put a strap on then put the camera in my case then closed it. I don't test the camera in the house, there is nothing exciting or much to show off shooting in the front room. Stills are nothing challenging, especially when I am not under pressure.

I get a bigger (massive) kick when I take a good photo and then see it on the back of the LCD, you can ask some of my clients some of the screams I let out when a photo popped up.

The test is how I get on with it at a shoot, how a piece of gear get pushed to its limits.

Keep up! Everyone's got one now except me and you (and @twist but he'll probably get another D750....)
I don’t ;)
@snerkler has not yet! @Tom Green is buying a D750. Not all jumped lol
Quite right (y)

TBH mate I just dont know what you didn't like..

At the show there was a bloke on his BMX bike spinning around etc and wow the A7iii didn't not fail at all... There was a lass doing some spinning around but not as fast as the bloke was on the bike and again did not fail.. This what sold it me I was impress... I then went over to the other area of the sony stand to try several lens on the A7iii to make my choice of lens.. Ok GM lens are nice but for me I dont earn from photography I dont need that sort of lens so i gave those a miss.. Maybe one day but I doubt it..

I got the 24-70 F4 lens.. OK some says it not good but I ask questions about it and was assured the latest version are free from problem and I tried one there and I was very happy with it performance so that was fine for me..

85mm 1.8 I got this as I felt it the right lens for Portraits and I like it just need to find how to set that damn button on it to a Eye AF function i can only find custom button setting on the camera but not for the lens.

55mm 1.8 I know this a lovely lens but decided against it for now... keep eye open for a bargain used one.

70-200 F4 I got this again I know it a sharp lens and it ample for me...
To be fair, abloke spinning on a bike is not a test of AF but just making sure you have shutter speed high enough ;)

I would need an A9 anyway! I’m waiting for low light action shots. Maybe when @snerkler gets one he can take some
Not gonna happen unless my 6 numbers come up one Saturday ;)

That’s what their job is, to sell cameras and like many of the Sony press launches most of the staged photo shoots aren’t that taxing on the bodies.
Are you saying companies set up things in their favour to make their products perform better? Who’d have thought it ;)

So im back from the photo show.

Was great meeting up @Raymond Lin .

The layout of it was the same as last year so i wasnt that bothered with many of the stuff on display.

Here are a few things that caught my eye:

• Sigma adapter with 85,135 and 100-600 lenses seem to work like native in terms of af accuracy and speed on my A9
  • Sigma 105mm is HUGE. no THANKS!
  • DJI Ronin S has put me off any hint of buying a gimbal. Its too big and heavy!!!
  • Fiji xh-1 is decent. Good af and build quality of the Body
Overal i did not bother trying any sony gear as i have tried all the GM lenses previously and i know they all perform exceptional for obvious reasons.

I was disappointed that they did not have any of the sigma art e mounts there or the 400mm Sony f2.8 . Those i would have liked to try for sure.

When i went last year, someone mentioned how they should just combine both comi-con and this show together in one arena and this year they should have.

You got all these lovely toys to test but on crappy subjects while next door you have loads of lovely subjects to shoot!
The fe mount sigmas aren’t out yet are they?

Just before I jump for the D750 I priced up an A7iii before, just can't do it.

Based it on 2 primes, general f4 zoom and a wide angle, here are sums:

Some not directly comparable and quality there may be some differences but these are what I would get for each system.

D750 + 24-120 (£1385) +18-35mm (£385) + 50mm 1.8 (£100 ish) + 85mm (£275 ish) = £2145

A7iii (£2000) + 24-105 (£1070 amazon deal) + 16-35mm (£650 ish) + (50mm 1.8 (£150 ish) + 85mm (400 ish) = £4270

Just cannot justify it when saving for a house!
That’s grey vs UK though, it will be interesting to see what the A7iii is from Panamoz in a few months.

I have the current new prices as follows:-

D750 + 24-120mm VR £2229
18-35mm £619
50mm f1.8 £189
85mm f1.8 £429
Total = £3466

Sony A7 III £1999
24-105mm f4 £1199
16-35mm f4 £1049
50mm f1.8 £279
85mm f1.8 £561
Total = £5087

So a difference of £1621. :)

However some of the Sony lenses are a head in terms of IQ/sharpness and the A7 III does offer mirrorless advantages etc
Which Sony lenses are better?

Well I only spent £1350 to get my lot

That on top of what I got for all my Nikon stuff
:eek: Wish I’d got £1350 to spend on new toys ;)

Well I dont shoot low light action at all so that not going to bother me.. My action shoots are when out walking with the family with kid and dogs running like bonkers..

Low light I do is indoor of people and I know this be fine with IBIS and keeping the ISO a bit lower.. For my needs this camera suits me and I am impress with the Sharpness of the images I have taken
Sony images will be clean at high ISO so no problem letting ISO creep up if needed.

Dunno. Been shooting with A7rii in Barcelona this weekend. Thinking of getting some Fuji gear. Certainly won’t get an a73 until you guys have finished beta testing it ;)
Can you recommend anywhere for good photos? Been for a walk round the gothic quarter and La Ramblas today and not got a single good/interesting shot. Went to the magic fountain tonight but difficult lighting and too busy for a tripod. I also discovered tonight (after getting back and realising a lot of my shots are blurry) that by default Olympus deactivate IBIS for continuous shooting and you have to delve into the menu to allow it to activate when you have IBIS turned on. What the hell were olympus thinking, surely if you have IBIS selected you want it for all modes :facepalm:

Anyway, off to the Sagrada Familia tomorrow evening (including the towers), and possibly Park Guell. Going to go to the Nou Camp at some stage too.

image quality would be a step back for me from my A7rii.

Both ISO & DR are going to be better on the A7 III but if it’s resolution you need, then you can’t beat the Sony A7R II / III.
All this talk of 13-15 stops DR on the latest bodies seems crazy, great if you need to push the files but for me the original A7 II’s DR was more than enough.
I spent a solid 2-4 weeks researching the Sony A9 before I decided to take the plunge, I know the IQ was on par with the A7 II, perhaps marginally better in some areas and way better in others.

Last edited:
Both ISO & DR is going to be better on the A7 III but if it’s resolution you need, then you can’t beat the Sony A7R II / III.
All this talk of 13-15 stops DR on the latest bodies seems crazy, great if you need to push the files but for me the original A7 II’s DR was more than enough.
I spent a solid 2-4 weeks researching the Sony A9 before I decided to take the plunge, I know the IQ was on par with the A7 II, perhaps marginally better and way better in some areas.

Coming from Canon, the DR will be sweet ! :D

A7riii ;) I looked at the A7II and A7rii and not having a direct control for the focus point would drive me up the wall :eek:

Both ISO & DR is going to be better on the A7 III but if it’s resolution you need, then you can’t beat the Sony A7R II / III.
I spent a solid 2-4 weeks researching the Sony A9 before I decided to take the plunge, I know the IQ was on par with the A7 II, perhaps marginally better and way better in some areas.
I’ve just looked, I didn’t realise the A7ii and A7rii DR was as low as that tbh. I won’t settle for anything under 14.5ev DR on FF now ;)

A7riii ;) I looked at the A7II and A7rii and not having a direct control for the focus point would drive me up the wall :eek:

I’ve just looked, I didn’t realise the A7ii and A7rii DR was as low as that tbh. I won’t settle for anything under 14.5ev DR on FF now ;)

I think the DR ranges are as follows (approx):-

Sony A7 III 14.5-15 stops
Sony A7R III 13.5-14.5 stops
Sony A9 13-14 stops

I think the DR ranges are as follows (approx):-

Sony A7 III 14.5-15 stops
Sony A7R III 13.5-14.5 stops
Sony A9 13-14 stops
A7riii is 14.7 at base, A9 is surprisingly poor at 13.9. I guess like the D5 Sony have sacrificed base DR in favour of better DR at higher ISO due to it being a sports cam. A7iii has no official score yet.

A7riii is 14.7 at base, A9 is surprisingly poor at 13.9. I guess like the D5 Sony have sacrificed base DR in favour of better DR at higher ISO due to it being a sports cam. A7iii has no official score yet.

What’s the 750?

Actually I stand corrected, the A9 isn’t significantly better at high ISO. I wonder why base is so low?

C9D6161E-5B1D-49CA-824B-E87468EE464B.png

Perhaps you should also look at the SNR graph?

Also if you compare A9 against D5 and 1dxii you'll see A9 is kinda best of both worlds :)
The SNR graph doesn’t make for better reading tbh. It’s no better than the A7riii yet is much lower resolution and has nearly a stop lower DR at base.

It does look better when compared to the D5, but to be quite honest the sensor in the D5 is strangely very poor for Nikon.

Not me, I only came home with a couple of boxes.

I found the empty box store too!

IMG_20180317_222914.jpg

I wasn't going to buy the adapter yet but at half price why not, the lenses were cheaper than I'd seen elsewhere so went and ahead and bought them too.

I was planning to buy Affinity Photo at some point so when I spotted someone in their tshirt and followed them back to their booth (not in a stalker-ish way) it was a pleasant surprise to get 50% off, will hopefully mean I can dump Adobe at some point.

Oh yes I forgot to mention, I was hoping to take some shots of the show using the Sony but you can't format the memory card if it's low on power so that idea went out the window. Just as I bought it they had the Star Wars parade right through the middle of the show, took a while for them all to march through (seemed weird there were random scifi characters thrown in at the end).

The Sony stand wasn't too badly mobbed when I went, played around with a couple of lenses briefly, they had a decent selection to choose from.

I found the empty box store too!

View attachment 122379

I wasn't going to buy the adapter yet but at half price why not, the lenses were cheaper than I'd seen elsewhere so went and ahead and bought them too.

I was planning to buy Affinity Photo at some point so when I spotted someone in their tshirt and followed them back to their booth (not in a stalker-ish way) it was a pleasant surprise to get 50% off, will hopefully mean I can dump Adobe at some point.

What did you get from the Nikon stand?

Can you recommend anywhere for good photos? Been for a walk round the gothic quarter and La Ramblas today and not got a single good/interesting shot. Went to the magic fountain tonight but difficult lighting and too busy for a tripod. I also discovered tonight (after getting back and realising a lot of my shots are blurry) that by default Olympus deactivate IBIS for continuous shooting and you have to delve into the menu to allow it to activate when you have IBIS turned on. What the hell were olympus thinking, surely if you have IBIS selected you want it for all modes :facepalm:

Anyway, off to the Sagrada Familia tomorrow evening (including the towers), and possibly Park Guell. Going to go to the Nou Camp at some stage too.
Plenty of stuff to take in las rambas. OPEN YOUR EYES dude hehe

go where the beach front is. You can take snaps of people playing volleyball( i went in december and they was still playing volleyball lol) and there is a boat docking place close by too

BarcelonaWinter2017-225.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

from Park Guell where the cross is

BarcelonaWinter2017_pt2-59-Pano.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

There is a "I'm with Nikon" bag behind.

Ohh.

The bag they gave me at Calumet was tearing and there was a woman bogged down with lots of Nikon bags, the stuff fit inside perfectly so everyone was happy.

I'm actually hoping to get away from Nikon with this change but we shall see, if it doesn't work out there's probably a profit to be had reselling the body as supply seems short. I couldn't help but notice Camera World had the A7 III at a healthy 10% mark up over RRP.

I can see what they were talking about with AF-C now, try shooting around f/11 with AF-C and after the very first it'll keep hunting for focus.

Not a problem for me but if you like using AF-C in the studio you'd be stuffed with this camera.

Is it because anything above f8 only uses the contrast based af points instead of phase detect?

Is it because anything above f8 only uses the contrast based af points instead of phase detect?

Yes that's what I've been told.

Whatever the reason, when I try my Nikon in AF-C it'll lock focus in the same situation fine. It's a little disappointing.

Yeah that's with it set to off. Give it a try, AF-S works fine, AF-C works at first then locks in the aperture and focus goes to s***.

That’s a little disappointing to hear bearing in mind AFC is what I use all the time.

It's funny how the a7R2 has almost entirely fallen by the wayside now. I guess it's to be expected with how quickly Sony move on, but it's kinda heading towards a sweet spot where it offers a huge amount of bang for buck now they're being offloaded en masse.

All the a73 reviews and stats are comparing vs the a72 and a7R3, but given the price point I think realistically a used a7R2 is the obvious comparison.

I was weighing up a move but having fired off 1600 frames at Goodwood yesterday and just being in awe of the files I'm having second thoughts. Lightroom Classic is pretty darn efficient with the RAW files now even on a modest machine (I have a mid-range Surface Pro 4) and the cropability is immense.

Back