The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

There has been no price hike on the Sony A9, its dropped in price since release... it was £4499 and now its £4299. :) shame that can't be said for the rest of the range! lol.
I could be had for £3899 yesterday, so it goes to show that their is some margin in the Sony A9.

There was no price hike since it was released after Brexit vote. And value of GBP hadn't recovered yet at the time so it was released at a higher price. It was $4500 in US and £4500 where as A7RII was released at £2500 and $3200 in US. That says it all.

Which ever way you put it, it's only fair they reduce the price now since reason for hike was devaluation of GBP which is not a reason anymore

There was no price hike since it was released after Brexit vote. And value of GBP hadn't recovered yet at the time so it was released at a higher price. It was $4500 in US and £4500 where as A7RII was released at £2500 and $3200 in US. That says it all.

Which ever way you put it, it's only fair they reduce the price now since reason for hike was devaluation of GBP which is not a reason anymore
I agree but reducing prices by a significant amount isn't going to happen anytime soon, I think Sony and other companies will milk the whole brexit cash cow to death! :(

This! Now that Tamron and Sigma are on board its going to shake things up.
Sigma have also confirmed they are going to make some real FE designed lenses and not the hash up which they have currently done! It's still progress though.
The Tamrom FE 28-75mm f2.8 is going to be a hot seller for them if the IQ is on par vs price. :)

It sounds like there will be an A7III in the Twist household soon! lol

Shhh don't tell Jonney. If its crap Ill be forced to buy another DSLR. So far looks alright except for the stripes, Ill be testing for that and sending back if its an issue, do like backlight.

Shhh don't tell Jonney. If its crap Ill be forced to buy another DSLR. So far looks alright except for the stripes, Ill be testing for that and sending back if its an issue, do like backlight.
Use mechanical shutter with backlight if possible?

Also make sure you have turned on the Anti-Flicker in the menu, this should mitigate banding by automatically adjusting the shutter speed to match the lighting frequency.

Id always go prime.

Me too! Plus it makes for a nice small walk about set up ! Just waiting for WEX to get back to me and my lenses might for off! Will be keeping D750 and 70-200 until they get stock anyway.

Kit lens adds £200 so not sure if budget can go that far! It’s either kit lens or the 35mm!

I think the kit lens is underrated, it's the best variable aperture standard range zoom I've had my hands on :D It's quite compact and light too and only the same size as the Panasonic 14-42mm kit lens I had with my G1.

Having said all that I've not used mine outside of testing it but I'm mostly a prime guy :D The Sony 35mm f2.8 is IMO a very good lens :D

It shows up in both MS and ES, its the PDAF pixels. Its not banding.
I have extensively read about this issue over on DPReview and it seems a non-issue for most.
Other mirrorless systems can have the same issue.
Is it really bad?

After much deliberation last night, I took the 24-70 zoom - I guess there's no real decision, it offers versatility with limited movement - ISO3200 here is not high nowadays.. and I didn't want to have to look after too much gear, have it banging around
So how are you finding the Sony A9's abilities including DR/ISO?
Any negative points? :)

The rumor site includes a link to DPR A7III studio scene.

Here's a direct link to DPR...

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-a7-iii-first-impressions-review

What they say...

"We'll be writing up our analysis of the a7 III's image quality (and any potential problems) in the coming days, once we've done a little more testing and real-world shooting.

In the meantime, our studio scene suggests* that, if the a7 III has an anti aliasing filter, it's extremely weak, designed to only filter excessively high frequency detail in the horizontal axis. It'll be interesting to see what effect this has in the real world."

After much deliberation last night, I took the 24-70 zoom - I guess there's no real decision, it offers versatility with limited movement - ISO3200 here is not high nowadays.. and I didn't want to have to look after too much gear, have it banging around

Rebecca Jayne by dancook1982, on Flickr
It's a nice shot but it seems to have missed focus, the eye's not sharp and the microphone looks sharper (although not 'tack' sharp)

The rumor site includes a link to DPR A7III studio scene.

Here's a direct link to DPR...

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-a7-iii-first-impressions-review

What they say...

"We'll be writing up our analysis of the a7 III's image quality (and any potential problems) in the coming days, once we've done a little more testing and real-world shooting.

In the meantime, our studio scene suggests* that, if the a7 III has an anti aliasing filter, it's extremely weak, designed to only filter excessively high frequency detail in the horizontal axis. It'll be interesting to see what effect this has in the real world."
Looks sharp but the DPR tests are very dependent on the lenses they use for testing too. Kind of makes it pointless unless they tested with similar lenses.

Sigma have also confirmed they are going to make some real FE designed lenses and not the hash up which they have currently done! It's still progress though.
The Tamrom FE 28-75mm f2.8 is going to be a hot seller for them if the IQ is on par vs price. :)
It's a shame they decided to go 28mm, I would have preferred 24-70mm as 28mm's not wide enough for me for a general purpose lens.

Use mechanical shutter with backlight if possible?
Nothing to do with the shutter as twist says.

Also make sure you have turned on the Anti-Flicker in the menu, this should mitigate banding by automatically adjusting the shutter speed to match the lighting frequency.
It's not banding he's referring to ;)

I have extensively read about this issue over on DPReview and it seems a non-issue for most.
Other mirrorless systems can have the same issue.
Is it really bad?
I'm sure it is a non issue for most, but twist says he likes to do a lot of backlit stuff so maybe an issue for him (y).

I think the kit lens is underrated, it's the best variable aperture standard range zoom I've had my hands on :D It's quite compact and light too and only the same size as the Panasonic 14-42mm kit lens I had with my G1.

Having said all that I've not used mine outside of testing it but I'm mostly a prime guy :D The Sony 35mm f2.8 is IMO a very good lens :D

Sony 35mm looks good but from feedback the Samyang is meant to be as good, but will have a look at both options!

Scrap that - just seen price of Sony 35mm lol

Admittedly it looks better there ;) Dunno why the eye looks so soft in the smaller image :confused:

Maybe it's because greater contrast can give increase perceived sharpness.. and the microphone head has a lot more contrast due to the nature of it's shiny and dark bits.

Last edited:

Woof, have you tried the Fuji 18-55 kit lens, which is highly regarded. If so, how does that compare with the Sony kit lens?

Is it really bad? You tell me.

View attachment 122674
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

:D pixel peeping innit
No, it's just plain bad ;)
I don't get why people are glossing over this so much, yet when the D750 had the flare/shading issues (which were fixed and were probably less likely to show than this pin striping) it was headline news and everyone was deeming it another Nikon failure :p

Both are/were blown out of proportion though imo, it's just strange how 'we all' defend things differently (not that I defended Nikon over their issues ;))

Last edited:
Back