The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Woof, have you tried the Fuji 18-55 kit lens, which is highly regarded. If so, how does that compare with the Sony kit lens?
Nupe, never had the later Fuji's.

My comments based on the Panasonic, Canon and Nikon "kit" type lenses I've had and of those the Sony seems to be easily the best... hardly surprising though as it's the newest :D

It is a light and compact and very reasonable standard zoom, IMO.

Last edited:
If you search on the other forum and search for the "a7x, a9 PDAF stripe noise technical analysis, part deux" thread.
Its very interesting but mind numbing chat about the stripe noise situation. :D

I think you need to see the whole picture and know what was done to it to decide if this is a serious issue for you.

I'm not saying that this is the case but in the past we've had issues that have only been issues in specific instances and when pushing the exposure +3 or +5 stops and cropping to 100%. If this is one of those in specific instances and when pushing the exposure to death and cropping like a mad thing issues it might not matter all that much.

Maybe time for careful research and thought but also for keeping a bit of perspective?

I think you need to see the whole picture and know what was done to it to decide if this is a serious issue for you.

I'm not saying that this is the case but in the past we've had issues that have only been issues in specific instances and when pushing the exposure +3 or +5 stops and cropping to 100%. If this is one of those in specific instances and when pushing the exposure to death and cropping like a mad thing issues it might not matter all that much.

Maybe time for careful research and thought but also for keeping a bit of perspective?
Correct.

Damn so I’m going to get stripes all over my horses when doing indoor shots?! lol
There is the potential, although I think it will be unlikely as the backlighting has to be pretty extreme. Could you see any on that other bloke's A9 pics?

I guarantee that the person who first spotted the strips on those original Sony press event photos is a big time pixel peeper.
It seem's its really come to the surface following the Sony A7 III announcement, what about the other previously released Sony bodies, why no big fuss back then?

Lets also provide some balance, most in this thread are quick to condemn the D750 and thats not nearly as bad, Nikon also dealt with the problem quickly and efficiently, Sony hasn't even said a single thing about this problem.

Youve seen the image and the crop, the exposure clearly hasn't been pushed and pulled. But hey its a Sony in a Sony thread.

Details: 85 mm, 1/125 sec, f/1.8, ISO 200, -0.7 EV

I guarantee that the person who first spotted the strips on those original Sony press event photos is a big time pixel peeper.
It seem's its really come to the surface following the Sony A7 III announcement, what about the other previously released Sony bodies, why no big fuss back then?

Actually DPR spotted it in their hands on. The images are from their sample gallery.

From what I understand it does show up in other cameras incl the A9 (which I mentioned previously) but its worse due to A7iii sensor design.

Lets also provide some balance, most in this thread are quick to condemn the D750 and thats not nearly as bad, Nikon also dealt with the problem quickly and efficiently, Sony hasn't even said a single thing about this problem.

Youve seen the image and the crop, the exposure clearly hasn't been pushed and pulled. But hey its a Sony in a Sony thread.

Naaaa we don't condemn the D750, just the DSLR's in general ;) lol
To be fair, I don't think the D750 should be condemned, its a really good body... perhaps some hate DSLR with such a passion that it gets the better of them.
It's good to keep a balanced view.
Nikon is Nikon, a great brand with history to back it up.

Actually DPR spotted it in their hands on. The images are from their sample gallery.

From what I understand it does show up in other cameras incl the A9 (which I mentioned previously) but its worse due to A7iii sensor design.
It's a shame, let see what real-world usage reveals......

No I haven't.

Believe it or not I haven't read up all that much on the later A7x cameras as I only have a passing interest as I'm very probably keeping my A7. If I was more interested I'd read the threads and reviews and make an informed decision not run around waving my hands in the air shouting "We're all doomed."

The issue seems to be related to a know hardware effect and there are people who see it and equally there are well known respectable reviewers and bloggers who don't seem to be able to reproduce it.

Maybe it can be mitigated or hidden by some in camera or post processing trickery or a firmware fix or maybe we're stuck with it until a different way of focusing can be found.

No I haven't.

Believe it or not I haven't read up all that much on the later A7x cameras as I only have a passing interest as I'm very probably keeping my A7. If I was more interested I'd read the threads and reviews and make an informed decision not run around waving my hands in the air shouting "We're all doomed."

The issue seems to be related to a know hardware effect and there are people who see it and equally there are well known respectable reviewers and bloggers who don't seem to be able to reproduce it.

Maybe it can be mitigated or hidden by some in camera or post processing trickery or a firmware fix or maybe we're stuck with it until a different way of focusing can be found.

But you responded so you saw the images I posted on the previous page?

But you responded so you saw the images I posted on the previous page?
No, I just looked at the crop of the eyes on this page.

I'll go back and take a look...

PS.

I've just copied and pasted those two pictures into CS5.

The whole picture shows as 100% and cropping to the eyes like in the crop shows as 2500% so I can't tell anything from these. I'd need to see the raws and process the picture myself to decide if it's an issue for me.

Is there anywhere that a raw of the whole picture can be downloaded?

Last edited:
Naaaa we don't condemn the D750, just the DSLR's in general ;) lol
To be fair, I don't think the D750 should be condemned, its a really good body... perhaps some hate DSLR with such a passion that it gets the better of them.
It's good to keep a balanced view.
Nikon is Nikon, a great brand with history to back it up.

D750 is indeed superb, but sometimes a change is good. Maybe it might be the wrong decision (one of which I have not made yet) but we learn by our mistakes (or good moves!).

How much more real world would you like it? Seems a pretty standard scenario to me.

Has anybody recreated the issue on their own body?
Could it be the studio lights they used?
Could it be a faulty body/sensor?
Could it be some kind of electrical interference?
Could it be a software related conversion issue?
Could it be a rouge individual who has doctored the images?

:D lol

Hopefully it does get dealt with, I know Ill be trying to reproduce it in my own scenarios. Wait and see.
I look forward to the result...... hopefully it's just a faulty body which DPR had :)

Has anybody recreated the issue on their own body? Yes, its been replicated, so has the video phenomenon.
Could it be the studio lights they used? Cmon, really??!! Like they have special lights nobody has ever used!
Could it be a faulty body/sensor? No, its due to design
Could it be some kind of electrical interference? No, its due to design
Could it be a software related conversion issue? No, its due to design
Could it be a rouge individual who has doctored the images? No, its due to design

:D lol

It must be the aliens.

Talking about price and money the value of GBP has risen yet again... but cameras still at the rip-off price :mad:

It depends on where they're sourcing them from because we're basically back to where we were in 2016 with the Dollar and Yen but still over 10% off with the Euro.

Anyone so inclined will save a good chunk of money importing. If you're not VAT registered you'll save £300 buying an A7 III in the US (whenever they get stock) and as mental as it seems if you take the D850 I'm working it out to be a £700 saving; those prices include paying VAT.

No, I just looked at the crop of the eyes on this page.

I'll go back and take a look...

PS.

I've just copied and pasted those two pictures into CS5.

The whole picture shows as 100% and cropping to the eyes like in the crop shows as 2500% so I can't tell anything from these. I'd need to see the raws and process the picture myself to decide if it's an issue for me.

Is there anywhere that a raw of the whole picture can be downloaded?

This is the original image for anyone else interested in the striping.

https://2.img-dpreview.com/files/p/TS4000x6000~sample_galleries/6769434587/5655951041.jpg

Has anybody recreated the issue on their own body?
Could it be the studio lights they used?
Could it be a faulty body/sensor?
Could it be some kind of electrical interference?
Could it be a software related conversion issue?
Could it be a rouge individual who has doctored the images?

What year is it?

On a positive note, the using the Sony A7III with 70-200 2.8 saves me 160g!!!

Back