The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

We have got to the point of desperately needed more pics as we are now comparing cameras to food!!!

I just had....

- 2 eggs
- 2 hash browns
- 2 lots of beans
- 2 toasts

2 of everything..... for redundancy like SD card slots :D lol

The subject I'm worried about is my kids running round and doing their sports

The A9 would eat that up for breakfast, in a similar fashion to the 1DX and D5

Since everyone keeps saying the A7III has the same AF and even better eye tracking, the A7III should handle it just as well.

Be aware of the nuances, and try one out if you're unsure, but I think it's worthy of consideration and you may be pleasantly exhilarated..

Since everyone keeps saying the A7III has the same AF and even better eye tracking, the A7III should handle it just as well.
Everybody but me..... :D

Be aware of the nuances, and try one out if you're unsure, but I think it's worthy of consideration and you may be pleasantly exhilarated..

I've been shooting photos of my kids and dog running around since I had an NEX5, then an A6000, then an A7i so there's no reason at all why anybody couldn't do the same with an A7iii. My only comment would be that the increasing reliance on focusing aids is leading to people stating that AF is rubbish if the camera doesn't lock on and deliver 20 pin sharp shots in a 1 second burst using just Eye AF every time. Maybe there needs to be a little bit of realism, and possibly photographer ability, required when deciding if a camera is 'good enough'?

Just get one. f1.4 has both and says they are comparable, you don't have both.
Comparable perhaps, but that doesn't make it the same :D
From a technical perspective its impossible for the A7 III to have the same AF, the sensor read-out allows the Sony A9 to perform AF/AE calculations 60 times a second, which has a big impact on AF performance / tracking / lock-on etc
The Sony A7 III is already down to 8 fps if you want live view with black out, each time the sensor blacks out it loses AF/AE for that split second. :)

I've been shooting photos of my kids and dog running around since I had an NEX5, then an A6000, then an A7i so there's no reason at all why anybody couldn't do the same with an A7iii. My only comment would be that the increasing reliance on focusing aids is leading to people stating that AF is rubbish if the camera doesn't lock on and deliver 20 pin sharp shots in a 1 second burst using just Eye AF every time. Maybe there needs to be a little bit of realism, and possibly photographer ability, required when deciding if a camera is 'good enough'?

He should probably keep his Fuji then?

I agree....
give me a Sony A7 and I can track fast moving planes......
I guess I just like technology being IT nerd.

Technique is very important in tracking a subject well etc.

Comparable perhaps, but that doesn't make it the same :D
From a technical perspective its impossible for the A7 III to have the same AF, the sensor read-out allows the Sony A9 to perform AF/AE calculations 60 times a second, which has a big impact on AF performance / tracking / lock-on etc
The Sony A7 III is already down to 8 fps if you want live view with black out, each time the sensor blacks out it loses AF/AE for that split second. :)

Do you just read the technical specs off the back of the A9 box for each reply? F1.4 is actually physically using both cameras side by side and has said that, for their use, they're not seeing a difference or that the A7iii is actually better at Eye-AF tracking. No offence Riz, but a photographer actually using both cameras side by side is a more reliable judge of performance than a collector who openly says that they don't use their gear (much).

I agree....
give me a Sony A7 and I can track fast moving planes......
I guess I just like technology being IT nerd.

Technique is very important in tracking a subject well etc.

I'm not saying that the A7i is better than the A7iii all round because it's not (I've only used an A7iii for half an hour at the Photography Show but it's clearly the 'better' camera). My point is just that, at some point, the responsibility for delivering results also comes down to the photographer taking the time to learn their skill and develop their abilities otherwise it will just end up with Full Frame point and shoots.

We have got to the point of desperately needed more pics as we are now comparing cameras to food!!!

hmm... don't think I have posted these here yet. 6 shots panorama using LR6, handheld with FE85

24270234368_f26875be11_h.jpg

24270238958_fbe3e2eafd_h.jpg

Do you just read the technical specs off the back of the A9 box for each reply? F1.4 is actually physically using both cameras side by side and has said that, for their use, they're not seeing a difference or that the A7iii is actually better at Eye-AF tracking. No offence Riz, but a photographer actually using both cameras side by side is a more reliable judge of performance than a collector who openly says that they don't use their gear (much).
Fair points but for certain people the technical / spec side play a big part in the buying process....... I rather have more fire power at my disposal even if I don't use it, you never know someday it may come handy.

For example its like saying what's is the point in buying a car which goes over 100mph when we can only drive at 70mph.
Sony A7 III = 70mph
Sony A9 = 100mph

. Maybe there needs to be a little bit of realism, and possibly photographer ability, required when deciding if a camera is 'good enough'?
but all the company reps and reviewers tell me I should buy the latest and greatest and it will make me a better photographer innit?

So what if I don't have a clue it looks good hung round my neck and it gives me the all important bragging rights when I sneer at people with lesser gear.
lookatme.gif

I'm not saying that the A7i is better than the A7iii all round because it's not (I've only used an A7iii for half an hour at the Photography Show but it's clearly the 'better' camera). My point is just that, at some point, the responsibility for delivering results also comes down to the photographer taking the time to learn their skill and develop their abilities otherwise it will just end up with Full Frame point and shoots.
Agreed but camera's like the Sony A9 make it easier to take the money shots, taking away some skill.... Eye-AF, 20 fps etc... it's all making taking photos easier. :)

Fair points but for certain people the technical / spec side play a big part in the buying process....... I rather have more fire power at my disposal even if I don't use it, you never know someday it may come handy.

For example its like saying what's is the point in buying a car which goes over 100mph when we can only drive at 70mph.
Sony A7 III = 70mph
Sony A9 = 100mph

You can drive at 100mph too, just that you shouldn't :D

Sony A7 III = 70mph
Sony A9 = 100mph

Of course, but what if the client only needs a camera that goes 70mph? (getting weird with the metaphors now!)

Whilst the A9 is clearly the flagship, there's no denying that, the fact that a photographer using them side by side is seeing better performance from the A7iii in some areas is important. Paper specs don't always tell the full story.

Agreed but camera's like the Sony A9 make it easier to take the money shots, taking away some skill.... Eye-AF, 20 fps etc... it's all making taking photos easier. :)

Again, as a paid photographer, I agree that making my life easier in the moment is a good thing. However, there's also a point where digital photography can become stale and boring because it's 'too easy' and that's where it just becomes another job. For me personally, that's why I spend more time shooting film but I understand we're all different. Then again, I've just sold 148 large format Chroma's via Kickstarter that will be shipping worldwide so maybe I'm not the only one ;)

I think that one point is that if you have a camera with all of the bells and whistles they're there to be used or ignored as you see fit and you can turn it all off and go fully manual if that's what you want to do but you can't get up one morning and decide to turn all the bells and whistles on if you have a camera that hasn't got any.

Again, as a paid photographer, I agree that making my life easier in the moment is a good thing. However, there's also a point where digital photography can become stale and boring because it's 'too easy' and that's where it just becomes another job. For me personally, that's why I spend more time shooting film but I understand we're all different. Then again, I've just sold 148 large format Chroma's via Kickstarter that will be shipping worldwide so maybe I'm not the only one ;)

I haven't bought a camera as although I'd like getting one to play with I just haven't got the physical or brain time to do it. I did make a small contribution and I must say that the update emails have been well worth it. It's been a fascinating project to read about and follow.

Well done Steve :D

So what if I don't have a clue it looks good hung round my neck and it gives me the all important bragging rights when I sneer at people with lesser gear.
lookatme.gif

The amount of middle aged blokes walking round the Photography Show on Tuesday with a rucksack full of camera gear and 5D/D5/A9's around their necks with 70-200/100-400 lenses mounted was hilarious. They all looked knackered/sweating and appeared to have sore necks because they were using their brightly branded straps that came in the box!

I haven't bought a camera as although I'd like getting one to play with I just haven't got the physical or brain time to do it. I did make a small contribution and I must say that the update emails have been well worth it. It's been a fascinating project to read about and follow.

Well done Steve :D

Thanks Alan. I appreciate any support and interest. Glad the updates are useful too ;)

Excellent news....... 148 sales will soon turn to 1000's. :)
I agree with what your saying, this is a strong point with the Fuji system, it feel's more fun, but for me it slowed down the process slightly in getting that shot.

The amount of middle aged blokes walking round the Photography Show on Tuesday with a rucksack full of camera gear and 5D/D5/A9's around their necks with 70-200/100-400 lenses mounted was hilarious. They all looked knackered/sweating and appeared to have sore necks because they were using their brightly branded straps that came in the box!
Hahahaha quality..... personally I would have just taken my iPhone 7 and Sony RX100 III, both easily fit in a pocket. :)

my car cost less than what I have spent on cameras :p

I've always been into open cars and especially the smaller MG type stuff so that kept the cost down a bit. The worst I got was when I had a Lotus Elise, an MX5 and an MGB roadster. Deciding what to set off in was a pain.

The amount of middle aged blokes walking round the Photography Show on Tuesday with a rucksack full of camera gear and 5D/D5/A9's around their necks with 70-200/100-400 lenses mounted was hilarious.
Hey size is important, I myself have a Canon 100-400mm MkII which I wear it to all important occasions.............................................fully extended of course! ;)

Back