The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I'm not that bothered about the A7III or any other camera at the moment, I've got a camera that satisfies my needs now. I am content :)

Me too, I managed to avoid Sony A7 III GAS this week.
So when I do my next wedding / event I’m going to need a backup body in case my A9 died, will decide then.

So if I buy an A7iii and the low light CAF is worse than the D750 and the EVF has some lag I can blame 1.4 for misrepresentation of Sony? :LOL:

So if I buy an A7iii and the low light CAF is worse than the D750 and the EVF has some lag I can blame 1.4 for misrepresentation of Sony? [emoji38]
I've had about 6x versions of the D750 like I've said and I'm 100% certain the A7III mops the floor with it.

I've had about 6x versions of the D750 like I've said and I'm 100% certain the A7III mops the floor with it.
I think you’re over egging it a bit tbh. Let’s get serious for a minute. IQ wise nothing much in it, the A7iii is a tiny bit less noisy at high ISO. And let’s talk AF systems. The D750 has one hell of an AF system capable of most things. Yes there are better systems that can gain acquisition a split second faster, such as the D5, 1dx-2, A9 and even the A7iii, but are they light years ahead, are they in a completely different ballpark? Seriously? And for tracking sports, dogs running etc etc I can get a hit rate of at least 90% and usually better. So let’s say the D5, A9 get 99% hit rate, again is that light years ahead, a different ballpark?

I get that cameras are improving, I get that some have tech that take the skill out of photography make getting shots easier ;) But to say they’re in a different ballpark etc is over egging it imo. YMMV (y)

I’m not saying you are right or wrong but as of yet I have not seen the EVF in action in low light and I’m not talking about floodlit footie pitches as they are not really low light. Once I have either tried one for low light action or seen examples through an EVF I’m on the fence.

These guys made a nice vid, but again not exactly low light.

View: https://youtu.be/wypVszYEC3Q

They took the A9 and A7Riii for some sporting action.

I’m not saying you are right or wrong but as of yet I have not seen the EVF in action in low light and I’m not talking about floodlit footie pitches as they are not really low light. Once I have either tried one for low light action or seen examples through an EVF I’m on the fence.

What is your low light, by way of shutter speed, aperture and iso?

I think you’re over egging it a bit tbh. Let’s get serious for a minute. IQ wise nothing much in it, the A7iii is a tiny bit less noisy at high ISO. And let’s talk AF systems. The D750 has one hell of an AF system capable of most things. Yes there are better systems that can gain acquisition a split second faster, such as the D5, 1dx-2, A9 and even the A7iii, but are they light years ahead, are they in a completely different ballpark? Seriously? And for tracking sports, dogs running etc etc I can get a hit rate of at least 90% and usually better. So let’s say the D5, A9 get 99% hit rate, again is that light years ahead, a different ballpark?

I get that cameras are improving, I get that some have tech that take the skill out of photography make getting shots easier ;) But to say they’re in a different ballpark etc is over egging it imo. YMMV (y)

One trick the A7III does is that it looks for a face all the time, this could be a good or bad thing but if you turn on Face Detection Display, you will see a white box on faces on the screen before you having to press the shutter of AF-ON. It is already analysing the scene and getting its gears ready for you to shoot. Most other AF that I know don't do anything until you half press that shutter button.

Last edited:
One trick the A7III does is that it looks for a face all the time, this could be a good or bad thing but if you turn on Face Detection Display, you will see a white box on faces on the screen before you having to press the shutter of AF-ON. It is already analysing the scene and getting its gears ready for you to shoot. Most other AF that I know don't do anything until you half press that shutter button.
Then just hover your AF point over the face you want it to track and boom. People can say I'm over selling it if they want but I know how different yesterdays wedding went compared to how I shot previously and I'm 100% never going back to dslr

Yep some have some great bells and whistles that may or may not help the user depending on what/how they shoot. I can see times when this face recognition and eye AF are advantageous for sure (y)

Last edited:
What is your low light, by way of shutter speed, aperture and iso?

Walk in to a barn, turn on a few dim yellow lights and that’s my situation than I find myself in every so often!

1/250 as 1/500 was pushing it, iso 4500-10000, f2.8 only. But need to have clear, fast and easy to follow tracking in this light.

Walk in to a barn, turn on a few dim yellow lights and that’s my situation than I find myself in every so often!

1/250 as 1/500 was pushing it, iso 4500-10000, f2.8 only. But need to have clear, fast and easy to follow tracking in this light.
That’s not ‘that’ low tbh. But you need to consider quality of light, contrast, backlight etc etc too, these will all affect the AF tracking.

Then just hover your AF point over the face you want it to track and boom. People can say I'm over selling it if they want but I know how different yesterdays wedding went compared to how I shot previously and I'm 100% never going back to dslr

So I know you had/have an A9 and A7R3, you also now have the A73?

That’s not ‘that’ low tbh. But you need to consider quality of light, contrast, backlight etc etc too, these will all affect the AF tracking.

Well yes, all of that was rubbish too :ROFLMAO:

Wonder what we will all be saying 10 years from now when everyone goes back to DSLR because mirrorless has sucked the fun, skill and challenge out of photography :D:D
It’ll be cool because it’s retro innit ;)

Joking aside, film cameras are making a bit of a resurgence so it’s not inconceivable that DSLRs will come back into fashion at some point (that’s not saying they’re out of fashion presently of course).

I had an A7R2 first then ordered A7R3 and changed my mind to an A9 after I decided I didn't want 2x 42mp cameras...

I had an A7R2 first then ordered A7R3 and changed my mind to an A9 after I decided I didn't want 2x 42mp cameras...
I’ve toyed with the A7rii as a replacement for my EM1 but I’ve always thought the lack of direct control of the AF point would drive me mad, in fact I did have that briefly with the Sony RX100-3 and it did drive me mad :LOL: Do you ever get used to it?

You people do know Canon have been using face detect for some time right lol

Just saying like....haha
I had it on my A77 and A77-II tbh ;) It reminds me of when Apple brought out FaceTime, the way they advertised it it was as though they’d invented video calling yet it had been around on Sony smartphones (and possibly others) for years. But Apple took it to the next level, which I’m sure is what Sony are doing here :)

I’ve toyed with the A7rii as a replacement for my EM1 but I’ve always thought the lack of direct control of the AF point would drive me mad, in fact I did have that briefly with the Sony RX100-3 and it did drive me mad [emoji38] Do you ever get used to it?
I just assign the down button on the wheel to activate AF control then you can move the box about freely. You do get used to it but the A7III is significantly better when it comes to control and responsiveness

A7III for video/weddings etc. A9 for speed and A7r2 for still life/studio/landscape

I knew that would be your response ;)
I’m going to try and resist the A7 III for now...... try and hold out for the A9 II and find a cheap body as a backup until then.

Ah thought you had the 7R3 as when you were selling your canon stuff you said you had an A9 and 7R3!

Having the big files to crop is slightly tempting looking at the A7R3 prices grey!

Must have loved the D750 though, you just kept getting more of them!

Last edited:
I knew that would be your response ;)
I’m going to try and resist the A7 III for now...... try and hold out for the A9 II and find a cheap body as a backup until then.
Yeah, just shows still that no-one’s invented the perfect camera yet ;)

If the A9ii has at least a 10fps mechanical shutter or global electronic shutter, 40+mp (with lossless compressed RAW) and no EVF lag (which it wouldn’t with a global shutter) then that would be getting pretty close ;) Especially if it was sub £2k :LOL:

Ah thought you had the 7R3 as when you were selling your canon stuff you said you had an A9 and 7R3!

Having the big files to crop is slightly tempting looking at the A7R3 prices grey!

Must have loved the D750 though, you just kept getting more of them!
I think a high res camera has to be my next one, I have to crop a lot with my Wildlife and would like the extra res for that. EVFs would certainly be advantageous for me in this scenario too as you see a true DX image in the VF rather than the full frame with borders round.

Back