The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I bet Minnnt is so relieved
he's fell out of love with photography:rolleyes:
It’s hardly surprising after buying a DF though is it? ;)

I think a break would do me good sometimes, I’d have more pocket money that’s for sure ;)

Ah thought you had the 7R3 as when you were selling your canon stuff you said you had an A9 and 7R3!

Having the big files to crop is slightly tempting looking at the A7R3 prices grey!

Must have loved the D750 though, you just kept getting more of them!
My wife shoots weddings with me so it was 2x for me and 1 for her at any given time haha

The D750 is a very capable camera but there was just inherent issues with dslr that I didn't want to have to deal with anymore and now I don't.

No more fine tuning lenses to different bodies and tuning 70-200s at different values for different focal lengths etc

Also don't have a sore back today after yesterday's wedding as I'm used to carrying gripped dslr cameras with huge lenses all day long, 2 small cameras and a relatively small messenger bag and that's all the gear I need.

I won't miss any dslr and tbh my most loved dslr was the D700, what a camera that was

funny enough ive got a canon film camera from the 80' on the way, this has focus linked to were the user looks-way ahead of a joystick:p
Ive got the OM1 with split prism. Now there’s a focussing system ;)

My wife shoots weddings with me so it was 2x for me and 1 for her at any given time haha

The D750 is a very capable camera but there was just inherent issues with dslr that I didn't want to have to deal with anymore and now I don't.

No more fine tuning lenses to different bodies and tuning 70-200s at different values for different focal lengths etc

Also don't have a sore back today after yesterday's wedding as I'm used to carrying gripped dslr cameras with huge lenses all day long, 2 small cameras and a relatively small messenger bag and that's all the gear I need.

I won't miss any dslr and tbh my most loved dslr was the D700, what a camera that was
But surely the lenses are the same size?

Bets on you and I having 3 x A7III by Christmas. (I am already thinking that may be possible….or at least another one)

But surely the lenses are the same size?
Nope. The 85 Batis ain't close to the 85 1.2 Canon I shot with. The 16-35 Is pretty small. The 55 Zeiss is tiny too.

The TT350 flash fits in my jacket pocket when needed for basic bounce flash etc

The 70-200 f4 wasn't even used yesterday either so it may be sold !

There is one downside…I haven't used the A9 but even without that comparison I find the A73 EVF lacking in resolution. Meaning I got to trust the AF to get the focus instead of seeing it in the EVF. It's a touch too low res to be able to tell at a glance.

p.s. I can't find in the menu where the camera display the last shot image on the back of the LCD for say, 1 second.

zrRLN2g.jpg

H7swRkl.jpg

There is one downside…I haven't used the A9 but even without that comparison I find the A73 EVF lacking in resolution. Meaning I got to trust the AF to get the focus instead of seeing it in the EVF. It's a touch too low res to be able to tell at a glance.

p.s. I can't find in the menu where the camera display the last shot image on the back of the LCD for say, 1 second.

zrRLN2g.jpg

H7swRkl.jpg

Nice images!

Shame about the EVF though.

Are the Sony lenses that much lighter then?? I know that if I get the A7iii and 70-200 I will lose 50g lol. The A9 still keeps calling me though.

Are the Sony lenses that much lighter then?? I know that if I get the A7iii and 70-200 I will lose 50g lol. The A9 still keeps calling me though.
I don't want to use a 70-200 2.8 again tbh and I think they're pretty much the same size/weight as what I had before

I loved using the Zeiss 55 and Batis 85 alot throughout the day and definitely didn't feel as sore the following day haha

Also not always having to use the viewfinder was good with me wearing glasses

I don't want to use a 70-200 2.8 again tbh and I think they're pretty much the same size/weight as what I had before

I loved using the Zeiss 55 and Batis 85 alot throughout the day and definitely didn't feel as sore the following day haha

Also not always having to use the viewfinder was good with me wearing glasses

Yeah all bloody heavy but it’s my go to lens for equestrian so needs must! Still, I was quite surprised how balanced it felt on the A7 series.

I am hoping that some sports shooters will be putting up reviews/samples etc etc of the A73. That’s if they got one before they all vanished from the UK!

Nope. The 85 Batis ain't close to the 85 1.2 Canon I shot with. The 16-35 Is pretty small. The 55 Zeiss is tiny too.

The TT350 flash fits in my jacket pocket when needed for basic bounce flash etc

The 70-200 f4 wasn't even used yesterday either so it may be sold !
But then you're not comparing apples with apples, an 85mm f1.2 is bound to be heavier than an 85mm f1.8, the Canon 85mm f1.8 is the same weight as the Batis. But as long as you're happy and getting the shots you want is all that matters (y)

I’ve toyed with the A7rii as a replacement for my EM1 but I’ve always thought the lack of direct control of the AF point would drive me mad, in fact I did have that briefly with the Sony RX100-3 and it did drive me mad :LOL: Do you ever get used to it?

A7R3 has fixed that issue with the Joystick thingy? I think? Lol

But then you're not comparing apples with apples, an 85mm f1.2 is bound to be heavier than an 85mm f1.8, the Canon 85mm f1.8 is the same weight as the Batis. But as long as you're happy and getting the shots you want is all that matters (y)
True ! I always knew the 85 1.2 wasn't great for anything that moved faster than a snail but at 1.2 I found it to be woefully inaccurate.

That's odd, I guess this boils down to what you're used to. The A7iii has the same res EVF as my EM1 and I have no issue seeing focus in the EVF (y)

A7R3 has fixed that issue with the Joystick thingy? I think? Lol
Sure has, the A7iii, A7riii and A9 all have direct control of the Af point (y)

Oh my... the A7R3 is £2500 at Panamoz and in stock...

Do I need a high res camera, probably not, but I imagine you can crop in quite nicely!!

Sure has, the A7iii, A7riii and A9 all have direct control of the Af point (y)
And Touch AF if you need it for video work although not sure how good it is in practice.
The touch screen implementation on these bodies feels like its been put in there for a future firmware to release its true potential.

True ! I always knew the 85 1.2 wasn't great for anything that moved faster than a snail but at 1.2 I found it to be woefully inaccurate.

I’ve got the 85mm f1.2 arriving today. I’ve had a few of them before and found the speed etc on par with using it on a canon body. Not very fast!
It does have a certain character about it though.

Oh my... the A7R3 is £2500 at Panamoz and in stock...

Do I need a high res camera, probably not, but I imagine you can crop in quite nicely!!
Yes, having owned a couple of Sony A7R II's it does give you good cropping abilities but as mentioned earlier, you will need to accept the larger file sizes and most likely slower AF compared to the Sony A7 III.

I’ve got the 85mm f1.2 arriving today. I’ve had a few of them before and found the speed etc on par with using it on a canon body. Not very fast!
What... :eek: G Master gone back? :( Will you be getting another?

Yeah when it hits the target it's really nice

I just found the 50L and 85L to be almost useless to me at 1.2 which I guess defeated the purpose. Wonder is it more accurate on the Sony bodies [emoji848]

And Touch AF if you need it for video work although not sure how good it is in practice.
The touch screen implementation on these bodies feels like its been put in there for a future firmware to release its true potential.

Yes because Sony is da best at fw updates innit

Yes, having owned a couple of Sony A7R II's it does give you good cropping abilities but as mentioned earlier, you will need to accept the larger file sizes and most likely slower AF compared to the Sony A7 III.
TBH I don't need the best of the best AF, as long as it matches my D750's that's fine for me (y)

Yeah when it hits the target it's really nice

I just found the 50L and 85L to be almost useless to me at 1.2 which I guess defeated the purpose. Wonder is it more accurate on the Sony bodies [emoji848]

Yes I'd say so. Since the issue with miscalibrated lens will be particularly bad with such a fast lens. On Sony you don't have that issue. Always worth a try ;)

Yes because Sony is da best at fw updates innit
I'd say so far the firmware updates for the Sony A9 have been ok, they resolved some issues and added some functionality. (see below).
Apparently more updates are on the way for the Sony A9....
I believe the A9 and most lenses have had a couple of updates so far, the FE 70-200mm f2.8 GM has had 5 firmware updates.

Benefits and improvements from the latest update
Enhance Continuous AF
Enhances continuous auto focus on moving subjects
Enhances AF-C stability while zooming
Adds new or enhanced functions for sports/news media photography professionals
New function: assign protecting images to custom key
New function: FTP transfer protected files at once *1
Displays wired LAN MAC address
Inputs IPTC metadata to files *2
Inputs camera serial number to metadata
Others
Improves all-round operational stability
Improves the accuracy of the overheating warning
*1: Only the images protected on Ver.2.00.
*2: Need to create IPTC information beforehand by using the "IPTC Metadata Preset" software.

Previous Benefits and Improvements

The following benefits and improvements are also included in this update.

Supports "Eye AF" function for A-mount lenses via the LA-EA3 mount adapter *1
Fixes an issue where RAW files may disappear when SDXC or microSDXC memory cards are used in certain smartphones *2
Improves the image quality and overall stability of the camera
Improves continuous autofocus (AF-C) performance while zooming in with the SEL70200GM or SEL100400GM lens *3
Improves the overheating warning functionality
*1: This function is only for A-mount lenses which can adapt to 8 or 10 fps (maximum) tracking AF-C shooting.
See here for details.
*2: Raw data recorded by the ILCE-9 with system software Ver. 1.00 or 1.01 could disappear. Please backup your raw data files, even if you’re updating the system software to Ver. 1.10.
*3: The system software version Ver.03 or later for SEL70200GM and Ver.02 or later for SEL100400GM are needed respectively. The statement was added at the same time as the lens system software was released.

Yes I'd say so. Since the issue with miscalibrated lens will be particularly bad with such a fast lens. On Sony you don't have that issue. Always worth a try ;)
And if you can use Eye-AF, it makes life easier when trying to nail focus using fast lenses like 1.2 and 1.4? :)

What... :eek: G Master gone back? :( Will you be getting another?

Remember I told you it had a fault?
Was offered a discount on it, to send it back for fixing or to send back for full refund. Went for the refund and need to return it today/tomorrow. Really annoying as the issue doesn’t happen all the time and gets solved by turning the camera on and off.

Doing a shoot in London tonight so planning on testing the 100mm stf. If it doesn’t impress it’ll probably be sold and I may even move everything on. Not feeling the love for the system atm

Was offered a discount on it, to send it back for fixing or to send back for full refund. Went for the refund and need to return it today/tomorrow. Really annoying as the issue doesn’t happen all the time and gets solved by turning the camera on and off.

Doing a shoot in London tonight so planning on testing the 100mm stf. If it doesn’t impress it’ll probably be sold and I may even move everything on. Not feeling the love for the system atm

Canon M system calling you?!

Dibs on samyang 35mm/1.4 :D

Yes..... its a shame as the 85mm f1.4 GM is a corker of a lens! :)
Moving back to Fooj?
What kit will you be parting with, just in case I am intersted :D lol.
A night shoot with the 100mm f2.8 STF, let me know how the lens performs as you have to remember it loses about 2 stops due to the APD. So will act like a f5.6 in terms of light gathering. :)

Last edited:
Yes..... its a shame as the 85mm f1.4 GM is a corker of a lens! :)
Moving back to Fooj?
What kit will you be parting with, just in case I am intersted :D lol.
A night shoot with the 100mm f2.8 STF, let me know how the lens performs as you have to remember it loses about 2 stops due to the APD. So will act like a f5.6 in terms of light gathering. :)

i'll probably stick with sony but just finding the system feeling little clunky and sluggish atm.

yes i know about the T-stops of the lens. there will be some light at the start, but lights on also so will be a chance to test out the bokeh. the stuff I've shot close up is buttery smooth.

Back