The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Really, in what way? I just about talked myself into the A7riii :)

I agree with Chris I did try the a7riii at the show along side the a7iii and I noticed the a7iii much better

I agree with Chris I did try the a7riii at the show along side the a7iii and I noticed the a7iii much better
But that's not comparing it to the D750 :p

Really, in what way? I just about talked myself into the A7riii :)

The A7riii is great, I'd say it pretty much matches the D850 AF wise but I do think the D750 was a hair faster, but your unlikely to notice it - just buy one and enjoy!

I'd be surprised if there was all that much different, the A7riii is going to be slower though by virtue of its epic 42mp sensor!

Sigma lenses early summer for “some” of them, so that’s June?

Early on July 6th then (As that will be the only day of Scottish Summer!

The A7riii is great, I'd say it pretty much matches the D850 AF wise but I do think the D750 was a hair faster, but your unlikely to notice it - just buy one and enjoy!

I'd be surprised if there was all that much different, the A7riii is going to be slower though by virtue of its epic 42mp sensor!

Early on July 6th then (As that will be the only day of Scottish Summer!

Confused, the d850 is supposed to have better and faster af than the d750?

I always felt the D750 was a little nipper, but then I don't tend to use all the AF points (51 v 153), I only briefly shot with a D750 again recently so it wasn't a proper test!

I always felt the D750 was a little nipper, but then I don't tend to use all the AF points (51 v 153), I only briefly shot with a D750 again recently so it wasn't a proper test!
This confused me too as I thought the same as Twist, that the D850 was better than the D750, and D500 for that matter.

Chris I’m working on a plan to afford it (y)

I know everything :sneaky:

They'e supposed to launch at the same price as canikon counterparts but me thinks a bit higher as they'll be fresh out.
Well in that case do you know when we are expect tamron 28-75mm? ;)

This confused me too as I thought the same as Twist, that the D850 was better than the D750, and D500 for that matter.

Chris I’m working on a plan to afford it (y)

It probably is! I don't use the AF on any of them to their fullest ability!

All? Nope. Some.

This happens when something new comes out, brand doesn't matter.
Yeah I’m like a magpie and get attracted to shiny new things ;)

Seems like everywhere you look you’re getting different opinions. I was surprised to see the A9 score as low as that on the running towards and zoom while focussing tests tbh, especially as I’ve seen a lot of places say it’s better than the D5. Makes you wonder if he had the right AF setting?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsZtUZvoeO0

He concludes that the 5DIII has a better focusing system than the D750.

Seems like everywhere you look you’re getting different opinions. I was surprised to see the A9 score as low as that on the running towards and zoom while focussing tests tbh, especially as I’ve seen a lot of places say it’s better than the D5. Makes you wonder if he had the right AF setting?

There was a known issue regarding AF while zooming which was addressed via body firmware ver. 2.00 and ver. 05 for the 70-200mm f2.8 GM etc

Also the SD cards were UHS-I / slower versions I believe.

There was a known issue regarding AF while zooming which was addressed via body firmware ver. 2.00 and ver. 05 for the 70-200mm f2.8 GM etc

Also the SD cards were UHS-I / slower versions I believe.
Ahh right, makes sense. Did it also have an effect on AF with subjects coming towards you I wonder?

Well that's why you would be zooming.

Has anyone ever shot whilst zooming with the shutter open?

I had a phase of doing that years ago in low light, it can make for some interesting pictures especially if you also move the camera in an arc :D

PS.
Need a well lit subject though.

Last edited:
Back