The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Its really fun to print and I really enjoy it. We completed making an album yesterday from all our pictures from 2017.

Previously when I worked out costs canon pixma-pro was the most cost effective to output option. But it was still cheaper to outsource the prints :(
The main issue is the ink dries out and becomes useless if you don't print often. This is not an issue with the canon selphy so its good for small 6x4 prints. I am used to printing in bulk instead of making regular prints; may its better if I print regularly...

I think @twist has a pixma-pro... I wonder how he feels about cost effectiveness?

I think the great thing about also printing at home is the amount of control you have (colour etc) and when you start using different paper options instead of standard stuff. Its much more expensive to print on good paper when you send it out... but to buy in good paper isn't very expensive.

I also save a lot of money by using a CISS system, works out miles cheaper than cartridges... not all printers can use these though.

... This is CISS....

Basically a tank system... costs about £75, but I think prints then work out something like 15p each.

Canon_Pro_9000_CISS_1.w.jpg

I think the great thing about also printing at home is the amount of control you have (colour etc) and when you start using different paper options instead of standard stuff. Its much more expensive to print on good paper when you send it out... but to buy in good paper isn't very expensive.

I also save a lot of money by using a CISS system, works out miles cheaper than cartridges... not all printers can use these though.
... This is CISS....

Basically a tank system... costs about £75, but I think prints then work out something like 15p each.

Ah cool, how do I find out which printers support these? (and I suppose where do you source these from?)

Also which exact printer do you use?

Also I guess these still do have the same ink drying out issue if you don't print for long periods?

Last edited:
Thank for linky

Also I guess these still do have the same ink drying out issue if you don't print for long periods?

Yes, but the ink in the tanks won't dry, just in the carts and your supplier may be able to get you a replacement set of carts if they dry rather than buying the whole kit again.

Printing a 7x5 every couple weeks is alright though at the costs Ive spoken about rather than Canon individual carts!

Previously when I worked out costs canon pixma-pro was the most cost effective to output option. But it was still cheaper to outsource the prints :(
The main issue is the ink dries out and becomes useless if you don't print often. This is not an issue with the canon selphy so its good for small 6x4 prints. I am used to printing in bulk instead of making regular prints; may its better if I print regularly...

Dry-out is mainly a problem associated with the pigment based inks, not the dye based.

Seeing that City inks have been mentioned, you wouldn't go far wrong with this cheap A3 option below.

https://www.cityinkexpress.co.uk/cheap-printer-bundles/cheap-printer-bundles-for-canon-printers/a3

Question, What’s the quality control like on Sony Zeiss lenses? I’m still new to this system and I know you can micro adjust the body but does anyone ever do that?

It’s just I found a used lens I want to buy but don’t know if QC is ever an issue on the Sony Zeiss lenses.

Question, What’s the quality control like on Sony Zeiss lenses? I’m still new to this system and I know you can micro adjust the body but does anyone ever do that?

It’s just I found a used lens I want to buy but don’t know if QC is ever an issue on the Sony Zeiss lenses.

It can be an issue with some of the primes. What lens?

Dry-out is mainly a problem associated with the pigment based inks, not the dye based.

Seeing that City inks have been mentioned, you wouldn't go far wrong with this cheap A3 option below.

https://www.cityinkexpress.co.uk/cheap-printer-bundles/cheap-printer-bundles-for-canon-printers/a3

thanks for the idea, and funny you should mention that particular printer as there are couple of open box ones at wex going for £135 which I was considering seriously.

hmmm... do you use this printer?

thanks for the idea, and funny you should mention that particular printer as there are couple of open box ones at wex going for £135 which I was considering seriously.

hmmm... do you use this printer?
No, however a mate of mine uses one with a CISS and produces some great prints. The printer itself isnt as robust as the Canon Pro's, however it does the job successfully.

Meant to be a belter and haven’t heard any QC issues, they do plague some of the earlier Sony Zeiss glass, in particular the 35mm f1.4

I've heard that lens isn't the best even with a good copy anyway, it's not worth the price tag and considering I do have the Canon 35mk2 it makes even less sense to get a lens of a lesser quality.

Planar 50….well, they say 50mm is the best focal length. Personally I prefer 35mm more but I can make 50mm work too and in a way I prefer it for half body portraits.

Nice one :) You'll replace all your Canon gear eventually ;)

Not until there is a good 35/1.4 :p

I've heard that lens isn't the best even with a good copy anyway, it's not worth the price tag and considering I do have the Canon 35mk2 it makes even less sense to get a lens of a lesser quality.

Planar 50….well, they say 50mm is the best focal length. Personally I prefer 35mm more but I can make 50mm work too and in a way I prefer it for half body portraits.

Not until there is a good 35/1.4 :p

If you get a good copy of the sony zeiss 35mm f/1.4 its actually quite good. in fact I personally prefer its rendering to canon version (then again I am a sucker of zeiss glass, always have been :p ).

... This is CISS....

sorry for more questions, but how did you work out the 15p cost? is that including cost of the paper, if so what sort of paper and size?

It's done.

That's a good price, I assume it's a nice used one?

After reading your comments and seeing your pictures I'm sure you've done the right thing, having a f1.8 would always have eaten away at you.

I'll look forward to seeing your usual excellent shots but now with a new tool :D

That's a good price, I assume it's a nice used one?

After reading your comments and seeing your pictures I'm sure you've done the right thing, having a f1.8 would always have eaten away at you.

I'll look forward to seeing your usual excellent shots but now with a new tool :D

In their rating it is M-, which is Mint, almost like new, boxed with hood which is excellent. Much easier to swallow than £1300, and if I bought one new it'll be used the minute I get it anyway. Lenses like these holds their value and should still get £999 from it years from now if I sell it.

In their rating it is M-, which is Mint, almost like new, boxed with hood which is excellent. Much easier to swallow than £1300, and if I bought one new it'll be used the minute I get it anyway. Lenses like these holds their value and should still get £999 from it years from now if I sell it.

Yup unlike cameras.

Back