The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

And especially the L glass or Zeiss lenses, they get replaced with newer models much less frequently too. The 35L had like an 18 year before it got a mk2.

Sony is yet to provide upgrade for any of its lenses on e-mount. They will probably start doing that once they complete their lineup which is a fair distance away.

Sony is yet to provide upgrade for any of its lenses on e-mount. They will probably start doing that once they complete their lineup which is a fair distance away.

If they redo the 50mm macro I might take a look.

why what's wrong with the current version?
The one I had wouldn't focus reliably on my A7.

I'd read reviews that said it could hunt but it was much worse than I expected plus it was inconsistent. It'd maybe hit the target on the first attempt or fail then do the opposite. Switch to another subject and maybe it'd hit or maybe it wouldn't, go back to a subject it had previously locked on to and maybe it would miss. With peaking on you could see the focus was all over the place. Switching to my 55mm cured everything.

All in all it was terrible and the only lens I've ever returned for naff performance.

I'd read reviews that said it could hunt but it was much worse than I expected plus it was inconsistent. It'd maybe hit the target on the first attempt or fail then do the opposite. Switch to another subject and maybe it'd hit or maybe it wouldn't, go back to a subject it had previously locked on to and maybe it would miss. With peaking on you could see the focus was all over the place. Switching to my 55mm cured everything.

All in all it was terrible and the only lens I've ever returned for naff performance.

Normally I don't expect macro lenses to be good with AF but what you say sounds rather bad even for a macro lens. Hope they update this and also the FE50/1.8

Did you try more than 1 lens?

Normally I don't expect macro lenses to be good with AF but what you say sounds rather bad even for a macro lens. Hope they update this and also the FE50/1.8
The only other af macro lenses I've had are a Canon 50mm f2.5 and Sigma 150mm. I'd expect a macro to be on the slow side but to still hit but this wasn't the issue.

I suppose it could have simply been faulty and maybe I should have asked for a swap but I'd lost confidence in the thing so got my money back.

At the time I couldn't find anyone else using one on an A7 so had no one elses experience to take into account.

Last edited:
Lowest T-stops, joint best distortion, best sharpness (barely), a little more CA and more vignetting.

The 55 is indeed a bargain.

fmkmW0C.png

In their rating it is M-, which is Mint, almost like new, boxed with hood which is excellent. Much easier to swallow than £1300, and if I bought one new it'll be used the minute I get it anyway. Lenses like these holds their value and should still get £999 from it years from now if I sell it.

That's £1300 with VAT though, without it's £20 less than that used price?

The only other af macro lenses I've had are a Canon 50mm f2.5 and Sigma 150mm. I'd expect a macro to be on the slow side but to still hit but this wasn't the issue.

Seems to be a trend then, the 90mm macro I just got works well but misses a couple of things consistently (wood grain on my table, white on white edges) while the 85mm Batis doesn't have as much of a problem with these. From medium/long range the AF is actually pretty snappy but when it misses something close it can take a while.

I've heard that lens isn't the best even with a good copy anyway, it's not worth the price tag and considering I do have the Canon 35mk2 it makes even less sense to get a lens of a lesser quality.

Planar 50….well, they say 50mm is the best focal length. Personally I prefer 35mm more but I can make 50mm work too and in a way I prefer it for half body portraits.

Not until there is a good 35/1.4 :p

I know the AF maybe isn't 100% but I've always had a soft spot for the adapted Sigma 35mm Art lens, worked great on my A7riii, I assume the native one will be even better once it released.

Oh nos, time to get some lenses ready. Im thinking I can get a Samyang 35 1.4, CZ 55 1.8 and Sony 85 1.8...... or a CZ 35 and Sony 85 1.8 for thereabouts the same money. :thinking:

The FLs are fairly similar but in favour of option 1, I also have the 55 as a smallish walk around prime package.

Last edited:
Oh nos, time to get some lenses ready. Im thinking I can get a Samyang 35 1.4, CZ 55 1.8 and Sony 85 1.8...... or a CZ 35 and Sony 85 1.8 for thereabouts the same money. :thinking:

The FLs are fairly similar but in favour of option 1, I also have the 55 as a smallish walk around prime package.

Option 1

Back to Sony? What camera you getting?

I think I’d go second option

Well I've still not managed to get my hands on an A7riii yet but today I did manage to try the A7rii with 24-70mm and 70-400mm f4 (didn't have the f2.8) and it wasn't good news. I caught by knuckles a couple of times on the lens when using a grip, and when I was holding it to change the functions etc there was pressure on my knuckles from the lens. Also, my pinky finger didn't have anywhere comfortable to rest. It normally hangs off the bottom anyway (even with the D750 and EM1) but it somehow it feels natural, which it didn't with the Sony. I know my hands are larger than average but I didn't think they were as shovel like as the A7 makes them feel. I know the A7riii's grip is slightly different and might be enough to make a difference, but then reports I've read say that the deeper grip means you wrap your fingers around more and so your knuckles are even more likely to foul against the lens.

Also it felt very front heavy with the 70-200mm f4 let alone the f2.8 so I'd definitely need the grip, but with how much my pinky finger hangs off the bottom I'm not sure that the grip would be comfortable to use as I'd imagine my pinky finger would be cramped up against the actual grip part of the battery grip. I'm a bit gutted tbh, but there's no way I can shell out that much for a camera and system that doesn't feel right. I'll still try and get hands on the A7riii but in all honesty I think I'll be going for the D850 and then waiting to see what Nikon do with their mirrorless. I should get good use out of the D850 as it will be a long time for Nikon to master a mirrorless camera and build up a decent lens lineup. I tried the D500 whilst I was there (didn't have the D850 but it's pretty similar) and it did feel so much better.

@snerkler the grip helps with my pinkie :) if I don't use the grip I tend to hold the camera very differently
Useful to know ta. I like living in a small town, but at times like this it can be a pain as stores are limited so it makes it difficult to try anything :(

Well I've still not managed to get my hands on an A7riii yet but today I did manage to try the A7rii with 24-70mm and 70-400mm f4 (didn't have the f2.8) and it wasn't good news. I caught by knuckles a couple of times on the lens when using a grip, and when I was holding it to change the functions etc there was pressure on my knuckles from the lens. Also, my pinky finger didn't have anywhere comfortable to rest. It normally hangs off the bottom anyway (even with the D750 and EM1) but it somehow it feels natural, which it didn't with the Sony. I know my hands are larger than average but I didn't think they were as shovel like as the A7 makes them feel. I know the A7riii's grip is slightly different and might be enough to make a difference, but then reports I've read say that the deeper grip means you wrap your fingers around more and so your knuckles are even more likely to foul against the lens.

Also it felt very front heavy with the 70-200mm f4 let alone the f2.8 so I'd definitely need the grip, but with how much my pinky finger hangs off the bottom I'm not sure that the grip would be comfortable to use as I'd imagine my pinky finger would be cramped up against the actual grip part of the battery grip. I'm a bit gutted tbh, but there's no way I can shell out that much for a camera and system that doesn't feel right. I'll still try and get hands on the A7riii but in all honesty I think I'll be going for the D850 and then waiting to see what Nikon do with their mirrorless. I should get good use out of the D850 as it will be a long time for Nikon to master a mirrorless camera and build up a decent lens lineup. I tried the D500 whilst I was there (didn't have the D850 but it's pretty similar) and it did feel so much better.

Good job that you bided your time and did due diligence. (y) When all's said and done, with your current kit and investment, I think sticking with Nikon is the sensible way forward for you. :)

Good job that you bided your time and did due diligence. (y) When all's said and done, with your current kit and investment, I think sticking with Nikon is the sensible way forward for you. :)
Yeah, would've been a nightmare if I'd jumped ship without trying first. Investment wise it's swings and roundabouts as I'll have to keep the Olly kit if I buy the D850 but with the Sony I'd have sold the Olly kit which would make the change pretty much the same financially with the lenses etc that I have in mind. I was looking forward to having FF for travel, and really like the look of the Sony 100-400mm, but then I'm not sure I like the rendering of the Sony 70-200mm f2.8 as much as my VRII even though the Sony's sharper. Hardly the end of the world though ;)

The technique to hold a Sony Alpha camera is to balance it mostly on your left hand and not take the weight by the body by the right hand. Think of all lenses like a telephoto and treat it that way. Any large aperture glass will dwarf the body, no getting round it.

The technique to hold a Sony Alpha camera is to balance it mostly on your left hand and not take the weight by the body by the right hand. Think of all lenses like a telephoto and treat it that way. Any large aperture glass will dwarf the body, no getting round it.
Even the 70-200 f2.8 and my old 100-400 dwarf my 5d body

I hate the handling of the body on its own (although the A7r3 is better than the 2), I also struggle to find somewhere for my pinky.
With the A7rii I added an L-Grip which made the world of difference but there is a lack of decent L-Grips for A7riii currently so I use the A9 grip extender.
That said when I briefly had the 70-200 f2.8 I used the battery grip which handled brilliantly, I don't think I'd use anything bigger than a 24-70 without a battery grip..

I hate the handling of the body on its own (although the A7r3 is better than the 2), I also struggle to find somewhere for my pinky.
With the A7rii I added an L-Grip which made the world of difference but there is a lack of decent L-Grips for A7riii currently so I use the A9 grip extender.
That said when I briefly had the 70-200 f2.8 I used the battery grip which handled brilliantly, I don't think I'd use anything bigger than a 24-70 without a battery grip..

You got a Sony again Chris?

You got a Sony again Chris?

I have decided not to part with the A7riii... XH1 still never turned up and the more I've thought about it (and looked at some comparisons between XT2 shots of mine and A7rii/A7riii) the more I've decided I can't go back to soley APS-C and 24mp for the stuff I shoot and I'm not entirely convinced the XH1 is a "jump enough" ahead of the XP2/XT2 to justify the price (especially with the price offers we've seen the last few weeks on those bodies).

That said I am seriously looking at my lens lineup now, currently only with a couple of adapted manual lenses, so can basically start again, likely to try a keep it simple with a standard zoom of some kind, a wide prime, a mid-range (35mm prime) and a 65 or 85mm, perhaps with one of the longer Sony Zooms (70-200/100-400) as I'd love to give the A7riii a shot at motorsport.

Possible that all of the primes are manual focus (although the Samyang AF ones look good if big), still got an MC-11 kicking about so a Sigma Art maybe an option too.

I think the pull of the Fuji was that after using the XT2 in Rome it felt a bit "cheaper" / less showy than the Sony to an extent, small body and 3 primes, and I was quite happy slinging it aound my neck, however there really isn't any reason I can't do basically the same with Sony, and in a month or so I wouldn't be surprised to see used grey A7rii bodies for close to £1000 so can always add a "cheaper" more expendable body to my kit if I want to.

That pinky grip which blocks the battery door is £100!

It so good though!

I have decided not to part with the A7riii... XH1 still never turned up and the more I've thought about it (and looked at some comparisons between XT2 shots of mine and A7rii/A7riii) the more I've decided I can't go back to soley APS-C and 24mp for the stuff I shoot and I'm not entirely convinced the XH1 is a "jump enough" ahead of the XP2/XT2 to justify the price (especially with the price offers we've seen the last few weeks on those bodies).

That said I am seriously looking at my lens lineup now, currently only with a couple of adapted manual lenses, so can basically start again, likely to try a keep it simple with a standard zoom of some kind, a wide prime, a mid-range (35mm prime) and a 65 or 85mm, perhaps with one of the longer Sony Zooms (70-200/100-400) as I'd love to give the A7riii a shot at motorsport.

Possible that all of the primes are manual focus (although the Samyang AF ones look good if big), still got an MC-11 kicking about so a Sigma Art maybe an option too.

I think the pull of the Fuji was that after using the XT2 in Rome it felt a bit "cheaper" / less showy than the Sony to an extent, small body and 3 primes, and I was quite happy slinging it aound my neck, however there really isn't any reason I can't do basically the same with Sony, and in a month or so I wouldn't be surprised to see used grey A7rii bodies for close to £1000 so can always add a "cheaper" more expendable body to my kit if I want to.

It so good though!

Yeah but it’s the fact that it blocks the battery door that I’m having a real issue with.

And A7rii for £1000...crazy.

Back