The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I hardly ever crop, just prefer to frame stuff correctly in camera, 2 primes do everything I need.

Sometimes you see things differently when it's on a large screen. Not always. Depends how artistic you want to be.

Cant always from everything in camera though. Like when i was at Oulton Park and you can go any closer, yet i was still using my 35 or the 24-70, and could then crop right in.
While i was on holiday on a boat trip again couldn't get any closer, literally hundreds of times when its just not possible to frame in camera. I just love the flexibility, plus no massive 70-200 lens to carry around.

None of the new FE lenses interest me. The Samyang 12mm f2.8 or 14mm do though.

Cant always from everything in camera though. Like when i was at Oulton Park and you can go any closer, yet i was still using my 35 or the 24-70, and could then crop right in.
While i was on holiday on a boat trip again couldn't get any closer, literally hundreds of times when its just not possible to frame in camera. I just love the flexibility, plus no massive 70-200 lens to carry around.

None of the new FE lenses interest me. The Samyang 12mm f2.8 or 14mm do though.

@dancook has just bought the 14mm, might be good to have a chat, good bloke.

I did really want the 14mm, but the 12 just looks great.

14-12mm is a lot wider, but yes its a fisheye but more like an UWA, the reviews explain it batter, it doesnt have the huge curvature that most fisheyes have, and it also fits in more on the vertical compared to most.

The 90mm looks nice, but its too short for a macro for me. I have an old 100mm that im using now and thats too short as well. Think my only option is an A mount one Sigma must make one around 150mm hopefully with OSS.

The 90mm looks nice, but its too short for a macro for me. I have an old 100mm that im using now and thats too short as well. Think my only option is an A mount one Sigma must make one around 150mm hopefully with OSS.

They do a 150 and 180 with OS, not sure if in A mount.

Has it been confirmed if the OS works when using adapted to E-Mount?

Has it been confirmed if the OS works when using adapted to E-Mount?

AFAIK the lens should work correctly with an LAEA4. It keeps all the same functions as if it was used on an A mount camera. Ring Sigma imaging UK, they are really helpful.

They dont use OS on A mount thats the problem, A mount uses IBIS.

The Sigma 150mm f2.8 I used on my 20D and 5D was excellent and I do miss it as all I have now is a 50mm macro, that 150mm was/is big and heavy though.

the os works on sigma lenses but i guess doesnt tell body, so you turn ibis off, but i have used with both on and its been ok i think

theres older 180mm sigma's in a few flavours, the 180mm 5.6 is small and light and still sharp, but no OS, but fairly cheap.

Gosh... 77 pages....

Hi there... I've just been given the go ahead to splurge on a camera. I'm thinking of an A7x, however I could use some pointers.

I have shot with Canon +L lenses in the past but ditched it for size constraints. I moved to a Fuji X-E1 2 years ago and fell in love with it and the prime lens lineup. The camera is a tad small in my hands though and I hate the slow AF. Hate it. I love the weight.
I like aperture control on the barrel - including focus distances for street photography and landscape work. I generally shoot landscape/street/portrait with very little sports or long distance stuff. I'd be looking to pick up a camera + Landscape lens (around 20mm mark), GP lens (35mm) and a 50mm for longer-than-35 stuff. Not bothered with zooms.

Looking on the Sony website, there are A mount and E mount and APS-C and Full Frame lenses so it's not clear what's what... There aren't (m)any I can find with barrel apertures but I'm not that bothered if I can control aperture and SS easily from the camera. My 50D had them both on separate wheels easily accessible with the eye on the camera.

If anyone can offer some help/pointers - especially around the Sony "lens language" I'd be grateful. I'm also not convinced I understand the difference between the different A7 models either.

Thanks in advance :)

If you're looking at an A7 family, you want any lens with "FE" in the name. The controls are very Nikon-like - front and rear dials for aperture/shutter speed, but you also get an exposure compensation dial and optionally also use the 4th dial/dpad for ISO control. It's very flexible.

You'll be very happy with the 55mm - it's pin sharp right from wide open and in a whole other league quality-wise compared to Nikon and Canon's 50mm lenses. For 35mm you have either the high quality and compact f2.8, or the f1.4 is going to be available in a month or two. It will be bigger and more expensive, but has the aperture ring if that helps you.

For your landscape/20mm lens, there's the 16-35mm if you could live with a zoom, or the upcoming 28mm has a 21mm adapter you can use with it.

As for the A7 models, basically A7r is high resolution (36MP), A7s is super low light and 4k video, and the A7 is the all-rounder (and also cheapest). The A7II is a new version of the A7 with in body stabilisation and a few tweaks.

Gosh... 77 pages....

Hi there... I've just been given the go ahead to splurge on a camera. I'm thinking of an A7x, however I could use some pointers.

I have shot with Canon +L lenses in the past but ditched it for size constraints. I moved to a Fuji X-E1 2 years ago and fell in love with it and the prime lens lineup. The camera is a tad small in my hands though and I hate the slow AF. Hate it. I love the weight.
I like aperture control on the barrel - including focus distances for street photography and landscape work. I generally shoot landscape/street/portrait with very little sports or long distance stuff. I'd be looking to pick up a camera + Landscape lens (around 20mm mark), GP lens (35mm) and a 50mm for longer-than-35 stuff. Not bothered with zooms.

Looking on the Sony website, there are A mount and E mount and APS-C and Full Frame lenses so it's not clear what's what... There aren't (m)any I can find with barrel apertures but I'm not that bothered if I can control aperture and SS easily from the camera. My 50D had them both on separate wheels easily accessible with the eye on the camera.

If anyone can offer some help/pointers - especially around the Sony "lens language" I'd be grateful. I'm also not convinced I understand the difference between the different A7 models either.

Pretty easy, native A7 lenses have FE in the title. If you find the XE1 AF frustrating you will find the A7 AF frustrating.

A7S - 12MP lowlight monster
A7 - 24MP
A7II - 24MP updated A7 with body stabilisation and changed ergonomics
A7R - 36MP

EDIT Ray read my mind!

Changing aperture and shutter seems ok to me and one thing I like about these cameras is being able to shoot with auto ISO in manual exposure mode which may help you for street stuff.

I mostly use Minolta Rokkor manual lenses but also have the FE 55mm which seems to be very good. When focusing manually with AF lenses you can get a distance scale in the evf but I don't know how accurate this is, it may be good enough... but there's always the option of using manual lenses with markings and end stops via adapters.

I don't know if AF speed will be an issue or not, that's up to you and what you shoot.

Good luck choosing :D

Thanks for the replies everyone... It's all helpful. I won't clutter the thread more as I have plenty to go on but I do have one question...

If you find the XE1 AF frustrating you will find the A7 AF frustrating

As in worse or the same? Is a four figure camera body really as bad?

I am a Canon user at the moment, and as such am reluctant to get rid of my current kit, especially as all my glass is L glass. If I were to get a Sony A7 as a light walkabout lens ( I do mostly Landscapes ) which is the best quality Sony/Zeiss lens for the A7?

Philip

The lens line up is still limited but those available and coming seem to be aiming towards the top of the market. I have the kit lens and the 55mm f1.8 which seems to be very good, the 35mm f2.8 gets good reviews and the newly released primes seem to be getting good reviews too.

I am a Canon user at the moment, and as such am reluctant to get rid of my current kit, especially as all my glass is L glass. If I were to get a Sony A7 as a light walkabout lens ( I do mostly Landscapes ) which is the best quality Sony/Zeiss lens for the A7?

Philip

Depends if you use primes or zooms. Prime fe 28, 35 or 24-70 zoom.

Gosh... 77 pages....

buy a leica?
or m mount lenses

Back