The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Well the rumour was for an Nex style ff, so no evf in a tiny body.

I'm a little surprised that there hasn't been a A7r and A7s II yet and I'd have thought that these would have quite quickly followed the 7II if not been announced at the same time. I wouldn't be too surprised to see a 50mp camera as Canon have announced theirs and in fact I'm a little surprised that a high mp count Sony announcement hasn't come already to take a little wind from Canon's sails.

I'm a little surprised that there hasn't been a A7r and A7s II yet and I'd have thought that these would have quite quickly followed the 7II if not been announced at the same time. I wouldn't be too surprised to see a 50mp camera as Canon have announced theirs and in fact I'm a little surprised that a high mp count Sony announcement hasn't come already to take a little wind from Canon's sails.
Hasn't the a7s been out no more then a year and a bit since release?. Sony need to up there lenses tbh

If you ask me they are doing fantastic with the lenses i cant think of any new system that had so many lenses this fast.

Hasn't the a7s been out no more then a year and a bit since release?. Sony need to up there lenses tbh

I'm not too sure how long each has been out but the placement of the shutter button and grip have been criticised by some although it doesn't really bother me. Anyway, the II fixes these and adds IBIS and other goodies so I'd have thought that they'd have rolled r and s II's out but apparently not, yet.

If you ask me they are doing fantastic with the lenses i cant think of any new system that had so many lenses this fast.

Yup. They seem to be cracking along.

28, 50, 85 and a longish macro would tempt me. I really liked the Sigma 150mm although I expect that many will be happy with the 90mm. I'm surprised that there's been no wide aperture 85mm yet and I suppose a 135mm would be very welcome too.

I'm not sure if or what I'll buy though. My most use lens is 50mm and I seem to have seven of them at the mo :D and I only tend to use 28, 85 and 135mm occasionally so the manual lenses I have will probably suit, but new gear is always tempting :D

Severely temped by an A7. The question is - should I spend an extra £400 and get the II or not? I'm buying to replace a bulky DSLR for travelling, so weight is a concern. Is the II worth the extra...?

I would save yourself the money, UK prices are £849 vs £1299 so that's a big gap.
The A7II is bigger and heavier than the A7 but if you need IBIS for older MF lenses it's your only option.
I had a play with the A7II and it's not enough of a upgrade for me.

I fear I might not be able to resist a decent deal on an A7... price wise it seems the best deal of the range right now and bar IBIS seems like it would do all that the A7ii would do, I've been tempted by the A7 + 28-70 deal at £999 and I'm travelling through Heathrow at the weekend where its usually cheaper......

Planning to get either the 35mm or 55mm.
For now I bought an adapter to use my ef lenses

I have the 55mm and it's very good. I a sort of tempted by the 35mm f2.8 but the 28mm would give more of a gap to the 55mm for me.

Good luck choosing.

The 35 is worth it for its size alone. I can fit the camera in my pocket using it.

Looks like a A7R II is on the way soon (May).... and apparently its already in production.
I believe it will definitely be a high-mega pixel monster (50mp) with the same body design like the A7II with IBIS. Not expecting any other ground breaking features similar to the A7 > A7II upgrade.

It is probably safe to assume that Sony will release a A7S II too with similar updates eventually..... I am going to hold out and see what the A9 Pro series brings to the table :)

Last edited:
Looks like a A7R II is on the way soon (May).... and apparently its already in production.
I believe it will definitely be a high-mega pixel monster (50mp) with the same body design like the A7II with IBIS. Not expecting any other ground breaking features similar to the A7 > A7II upgrade.

It is probably safe to assume that Sony will release a A7S II too with similar updates eventually..... I am going to hold out and see what the A9 Pro series brings to the table :)
Link?

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-sony-a7rii-is-coming-very-soon/

As I mentioned previously, the new MK II bodies are larger and heavier than the originals, its a shame in some respects as I prefer the smaller body in this line of bodies.
For the A9 Pro series I would expect larger MK II bodies but with a significant improvement in every area to rival / surpass the Pro level Nikon and Canon bodies, AF Tracking and High Speed being one of the biggest downfalls of the mirrorless series. :)

Last edited:
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-sony-a7rii-is-coming-very-soon/

As I mentioned previously, the new MK II bodies are larger and heavier than the originals, its a shame in some respects as I prefer the smaller body in this line of bodies.
For the A9 Pro series I would expect larger MK II bodies but with a significant improvement in every area to rival / surpass the Pro level Nikon and Canon bodies, AF Tracking and High Speed being one of the biggest downfalls of the mirrorless series. :)

I wish them the best of luck.

I wish them the best of luck.
Sony are not too far off to be fair, Sony mirrorless bodies have come a long way in such a short space of time, but compared to DSLR bodies, its still in its infancy. A big step forward would be incorporating the A6000 4D AF system onto the FE Full-Frame sensor system with other improvements.
The key area's where the current A7 series has been criticized is AF performance / speed / tracking and lack of real weather sealing.
I know the lack of lenses has been mentioned too but this is a new system and it does take time to build high quality lenses.

Sony are not too far off to be fair, Sony mirrorless bodies have come a long way in such a short space of time, but compared to DSLR bodies, its still in its infancy. A big step forward would be incorporating the A6000 4D AF system onto the FE Full-Frame sensor system with other improvements.
The key area's where the current A7 series has been criticized is AF performance / speed / tracking and lack of real weather sealing.
I know the lack of lenses has been mentioned too but this is a new system and it does take time to build high quality lenses.

But you said rival / surpass, not 'they are moving into the right direction'. Theres a big difference.

now is ee what u mean,

As i said in the other forum, expect mirrorless to take over DSLR within the next 5-10 years

And as I said, thats fairly obvious with manufacturing cost cutting and more beginners buying interchangeable cameras. 10 years, thats ages away, I care about now!

But you said rival / surpass, not 'they are moving into the right direction'. Theres a big difference.

Its too early and the Sony FE system has not been out long enough to mature to compete directly with Pro-level DSLR's, I think that Sony will make a bigger shift once they release a professional FE body with DSLR rivalling AF Tracking & Speed.
As it stands the AF and AF tracking abilities on the A7 series do not match high-end DSLR's and that's what most mirrorless systems get marked down for.
Give it time and watch how Nikon and Canon will need to too focus on a high-end mirrorless body........ the day of DSLR's will come to an end eventually.... technology always moves on :) I would say in the next 2 years we will see a mirrorless body which can AF and AF track as good as the DSLR's.

And as I said, thats fairly obvious with manufacturing cost cutting and more beginners buying interchangeable cameras. 10 years, thats ages away, I care about now!
Besides af what else is lacking then in mirror less? 10 years is a guesstimate. Could be sooner. In fact all Sony need to do is slap on af system that's as good as a 5D3 and it's game over for mirrored slrs.

Edit. Even the view finder is getting better by each release. I just say find anything besides af that mirrored has over mirror less

Last edited:
Its too early and the Sony FE system has not been out long enough to mature to compete directly with Pro-level DSLR's, I think that Sony will make a bigger shift once they release a professional FE body with DSLR rivalling AF Tracking & Speed.
As it stands the AF and AF tracking abilities on the A7 series do not match high-end DSLR's and that's what most mirrorless systems get marked down for.
Give it time and watch how Nikon and Canon will need to too focus on a high-end mirrorless body........ the day of DSLR's will come to an end eventually.... technology always moves on :)

Again, my comment was based on the following statement "For the A9 Pro series I would expect larger MK II bodies but with a significant improvement in every area to rival / surpass the Pro level Nikon and Canon bodies"

NOT
whats happening in the next few years!

Again, my comment was based on the following statement "For the A9 Pro series I would expect larger MK II bodies but with a significant improvement in every area to rival / surpass the Pro level Nikon and Canon bodies"

NOT
whats happening in the next few years!

We will have to wait and see what the A9 brings to the table ;)

Besides af what else is lacking then in mirror less? 10 years is a guesstimate. Could be sooner. In fact all Sony need to do is slap on af system that's as good as a 5D3 and it's game over for mirrored slrs

How are you two finding it so difficult to realise Im talking present, not future, wether its 5 or 10 years? Its obvious mirrorless sales will eventually exceed mirrored. Arent you really stating the obvious? If it was that easy don't you think Sony would've already had an AF system as good as Canikons, get real.

Back