The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I see they've knocked £100 off each of the primes.

I'm tempted... but then I think how relatively inexpensive the Sigma 50mm f1.4 is even though it's arguably the best in its class. I'd be happy with a lens of the quality of the Sigma but smaller and lighter, maybe making it a f1.8 would be enough to reduce the bulk and weight? Whatever... The price of the Sony seems hard to justify when such a good lens as the Sigma is sooooooo much cheaper.

The problem does seem to lie with the zoom lens that is being offers with the A7,for me if i wanted to go FF again maybe an wait a see game :)

The camera price isnt the issue for me, its the lenses, like woof woof I have a Sigma 50 1.4 and 35 1.4 both together cost me less than the Zeiss 55mm! Id be incredibly surprised if the Zeiss is better than the Sigma 35mm.

The camera price isnt the issue for me, its the lenses, like woof woof I have a Sigma 50 1.4 and 35 1.4 both together cost me less than the Zeiss 55mm! Id be incredibly surprised if the Zeiss is better than the Sigma 35mm.

I'll probably hold off on the AF primes and stick with the original plan of using the kit lens as and when but mostly using manual primes in the hope that Sigma see the market as worthwhile and bring aout a few compact and reasonably priced f1.8's. Really, I suppose 50, 85 and something like 28 or 35mm would probably do and I'd probably buy them all and use my manual primes to fill the gaps. Then again... my credit card knows my internet password...

So, who has ordered what so far?

Me... Sony A7 with kit lens, free bag coming with it.

I'll probably hold off on the AF primes and stick with the original plan of using the kit lens as and when but mostly using manual primes in the hope that Sigma see the market as worthwhile and bring aout a few compact and reasonably priced f1.8's. Really, I suppose 50, 85 and something like 28 or 35mm would probably do and I'd probably buy them all and use my manual primes to fill the gaps. Then again... my credit card knows my internet password...

I wouldve thought Sigma would bring out some 2.8 primes like they did for the NEX, but doubt they'll do more than 2 lenses, not enough sales to justify it, not at least for a few years.

That's a thought... if they brought out FF versions of those cheap APS-C primes they'd probably find buyers. I forgot about those.

Would be good, I guess it depends on the numbers theyve been making from the NEX lenses. They have rereleased them so they must be making some money.

Checking launch dates, Sigma made the 19mm in 2012. That was 2 years after NEX hit the market. Im guessing theyll wait to see sales/demand before making any lenses. So end of 2015.

Last edited:
I'm waiting for some real reviews with retail versions, and more crucially customer reviews.

I wouldve thought Sigma would bring out some 2.8 primes like they did for the NEX, but doubt they'll do more than 2 lenses, not enough sales to justify it, not at least for a few years.

Even with the 3 ASPC/43 mirrorless lenses we have from Sigma I'd argue the reason they exist is Sigma's own DPM compacts, from the sound of it there basically just the built in lenses for those given different mounts.

Have had a good play around with both the A7 and A7R today - stuck in HK with nothing better to do, and they have a display with them on behind the WTC in Causeway Bay. 35mm looks the best choice (or only, if you're going for the R). No memory cards in the display models though, but it certainly looks a decent bit of kit. If they had the 24-70mm available at launch I may well be walking away with one today. Shame really. Nice bit of kit.

I went for the a7 with kit lens due to the faster focus!!
but after the recent posts on here i'm now not to sure, especially with the kit lens which is increasingly looking like it has issues

I went for the a7 with kit lens due to the faster focus!!
but after the recent posts on here i'm now not to sure, especially with the kit lens which is increasingly looking like it has issues

I don't expect it to be an amazing lens but for the price I decided it's worth going for occasional use. I'll be happy if it's the equal of the worst lens I've ever had... Canon 17-85mm.

I hardly ever use my Panasonic 14-42mm but it's there if I want it and I'll treat the Sony just the same :D

looks like sony's starting to ship
mine coming on monday by ukmail

No sign of mine but my MD adapter arrived... and turned out to be a set of extension tubes. Oh well...

The Amazon A7 with kit lens is tempting, trying not to pull the trigger, issues above are a little concerning

I wish Amazon would hurry up and list a date for there Primes, they just say out of stock, not pre-order like the body.

No sign (or email about) mine from Wex yet.

Funny, but I never even thought about ordering from Sony, I just went straight to Wex.

I was disappoited that my MD/Sony adapter turned out to be an extension tube... still waiting for that ebay purchase issue to be resolved so if my camera comes before the adapter I'll only have the kit lens.

My A7R has turned up today.

I already have a Nex 7 with E Mount lenses but now exploring what lenses I can use FF.

Not sure how the Canon 17-40 f4 L will fair on the A7R?

Saw someone use an Canon lens on the A7r worked fine,just a bit slow in auto focusing :)

No sign (or email about) mine from Wex yet.

Funny, but I never even thought about ordering from Sony, I just went straight to Wex.

I was disappoited that my MD/Sony adapter turned out to be an extension tube... still waiting for that ebay purchase issue to be resolved so if my camera comes before the adapter I'll only have the kit lens.

I did try and order from Sony, but the website crashed twice so I gave up and went elsewhere! Better deal from Wex anyhow. Also no word on delivery yet. Sony website says out of stock so presumably they've shipped all they had already.

I wouldn't worry to much, unless it corners, most stuff is atleast ok on a 24mp apsc sensor

No news on mine yet, pre ordered from London Camera Exchange. I do have some Leica lenses coming though...

BTW have you seen how cheap (relatively!) Leica R-mount lenses are? Looks like you can get a lot of lens for your money.

So any feedback from anyone that has one yet?

I ordered mine from this bloke... ellieshang

I raised a dispute with ebay and the seller requested a photo, which I sent. Did you order from the same bloke?

Yep that's the one! requested photo here too! Serial muppets evidently :bonk:

They've just mailed to say "Thanks for your reply . We will solve it in our mail soon". I have no idea what that means!

Just start a paypal dispute as well, no ignoring it then.

Back