The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Amazon have it listed for the 6th December.

Would be nice, i'm going to Scotland for new year so would be a good time to try it out properly. I'm a little gutted i have to wait until i think February for the 24-70, im not used to only using primes so only having a 35mm is going to be tough.

Then a DSLR will suit you better. CSC are never going to have huge shot counts from there batteries.

Would be nice, i'm going to Scotland for new year so would be a good time to try it out properly. I'm a little gutted i have to wait until i think February for the 24-70, im not used to only using primes so only having a 35mm is going to be tough.

I ordered the kit lens as I think it's a handy thing to have. I have a 14-42mm for my G1 and although I don't use it much it's nice to have it available. I don't have a kit zoom for my 5D but I thought I'd get one for my A7 just in case it comes in handy :D I haven't ordered a prime and will mostly be using my manual Minolta Rokkors.

MF lenses should be kinder to the batteries. They certainly are with my G2.

I very rarely use the back screen so that'll help too. I certainly have no problems with my G2's battery life.

i get decent life out of my a77 and a55 batteries. the shot count probably means less on a csc due to the evf/lcd and sensor always being on, so if your taking alot in a short time you will get a higher number.

I very rarely use the back screen so that'll help too. I certainly have no problems with my G2's battery life.

This is what im thinking if there is an option to turn the back screen off and only have it when i choose to review a picture or want to see settings.

i get decent life out of my a77 and a55 batteries. the shot count probably means less on a csc due to the evf/lcd and sensor always being on, so if your taking alot in a short time you will get a higher number.

There SLT and have much bigger batteries as well.

Last edited:

I turn my cameras off between shots too. I've never had a battery problem with any camera I've owned so I hope that the A7 is the same. I may invest in a spare once the Chinese third party brigate have them on ebay for 5p :D

I turn my cameras off between shots too. I've never had a battery problem with any camera I've owned so I hope that the A7 is the same. I may invest in a spare once the Chinese third party brigate have them on ebay for 5p :D

They already do, it takes standard NEX batteries.

I ordered the kit lens as I think it's a handy thing to have. I have a 14-42mm for my G1 and although I don't use it much it's nice to have it available.

Agree that a kit zoom can be handy to have, I too have the 14-42mm and it's useful to have for video purposes if nothing else (I have the G2). I'd be interested in the Sony kit zoom too, again mainly to take advantage of the OSS for video purposes. I would more than likely shoot most of my video outdoors in daylight, so the f3.5 - f5.6 'limitation' wouldn't be a massive issue I don't think.

This is what im thinking if there is an option to turn the back screen off and only have it when i choose to review a picture or want to see settings.

This is definitely a feature I would want! Not yet heard if it's possible on the A7's yet.

So I guess it's a bit too early to take my lens into the Sony shop just yet ... :(

I bought an m39 to NEX adapter and everything! Spent over five quid!

I was in the big Sony shop in Tottenham Court Road today and they said 6th Dec for the A7R.

I have an M-mount adaptor waiting for it, and have been perusing old Canon FD lenses etc. Looking forward to this!

I was in the big Sony shop in Tottenham Court Road today and they said 6th Dec for the A7R.

I have an M-mount adaptor waiting for it, and have been perusing old Canon FD lenses etc. Looking forward to this!

Sony said November 28-December 2nd for mine before I changed my mind and bought from Wex. I've MD, OM and Nikon adapters en route as well, and even repaired my Minolta 45mm f2 and reinstated the OM mount on my Zuiko 24mm f2.8 ready. Just need a ball bearing for the aperture click on the Minolta!

I've ordered a Minolta MD adapter and will probably order a Zuiko adapter too.

Have you lot seen this vid?...

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/

It's a bit long (45mins or so...) but I was interested in his comments about DSLR's being bloated things and the A7 being the size of a SLR of old... exactly my thoughts about my G1 and my soon to arrive A7. If the A7 had a built in flash I'd be happy to say that it's the first camera to directly replece my 35mm SLR's... but it hasn't so that praise and honour will have to wait and until then my G1 remains the closest replacement so far despite its smaller than 35mm sensor.

I do wish that the A7 had the G1's articulated screen so that I could turn it to the body for an even more film shooting like experience.

Looks like neither is particularly good at focusing. Not that surprising really, and 99% of the stuff i shoot is stationary so should pose a problem for me.

Im confused now.

http://www.photoreview.com.au/revie...eable-lens/first-look-sony-ilc-a7#Full_Review
"Autofocusing was very fast and remained accurate at quite low light levels, including after dark. Hunting was never detected with the fast prime lens so it will be interesting to test this function with slower zoom lenses when they become available."

So one saying AF is slow one saying its fast.

You always seem to get this,i think the only way to know if to give them a try and see if they are fast enough for the work you do,i when thought this with the fuji XE-1 X1pro ok they weren't the faster out their,but not as bad as some reviews made out,and with the update they were even better :)

I'm sure that AF will be faster than me with my Rokkors :D

with the nex5n my mum has, it tends to hold the apature at what you set, I think, rather than stop down the moment the shot is taken, which would effect focus speed

Ill quote:

Autofocus: α7 vs. α7R, or phase vs. contrast-detect autofocus
After shooting several hundred images on our trip with Sony in Tennessee, I found far fewer sharp-focus images from my α7 shooting than from the α7R. Other editors had the same trouble, at least one declaring she had no sharp shots from the α7, while the α7R was fine. Most of the trouble I found was when shooting with the 28-70mm OSS lens, so I switched to the 35mm F2.8 just to get a few more sharp images as we walked around Rock City. I got much better, in-focus images with the 35mm and 55mm lenses.

I haven't had time to pit the two cameras against each other to see if there's a real problem with the kit lens, but there's no question the α7's images are different from the α7R in other ways as well. The α7's JPEG images are more heavily processed with Sony's overaggressive anti-noise strategies. What should be soft bokeh is too often re-rendered as something that looks more like paintbrush strokes than a simple out-of-focus area. We'll be looking in more depth at this in the coming weeks.

So which do I prefer?
After shooting with the α7 and α7R for some time, I preferred the α7R for its faster, more reliable autofocus and better images overall. Naturally, I wanted to prefer the α7, with its lower-res 24MP sensor and lower price. The main reason I preferred the α7R: I liked the images better, and I liked the experience better. The α7's JPEG noise suppression looks quite overprocessed, giving even out-of-focus areas a brush-stroke appearance, and its phase-detect autofocus isn't as fast, nor as accurate (we'll be testing further to confirm and characterize this). With either camera, I would like a way to lock the EV compensation dial, but I could very easily see using the α7R as my main camera for a number of uses, including portraiture (if anything, its detail is unnecessarily high; hence my wish that the 24MP α7 were a little better).

Back