The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Yes thanks. I have looked through those but that backlit lady with the sun glasses doesn't seem to be there or if she is I keep missing her.

Why obsess over that one photo?

I've given you a link to a raw with the effect occurring as you requested.

Just having a backlit scene isn't enough, if it was you'd be seeing far more reports, in a photo it wasn't intended for you generally only see it on flares. You can see that in the photo I linked to, the white of the light doesn't show it, the purple flare just underneath does.

Which is my point. Not seen people who have the camera experience this issue.

Compared to say the stop down focus issue that anyone can try and replicate

So you believe that dpr testers are liars?

They are people after all that used the camera.

Why obsess over that one photo?

I've given you a link to a raw with the effect occurring as you requested.

Just having a backlit scene isn't enough, if it was you'd be seeing far more reports, in a photo it wasn't intended for you generally only see it on flares. You can see that in the photo I linked to, the white of the light doesn't show it, the purple flare just underneath does.

Calm down. There's no need for yet more tantrums. I'm not obsessing, I'm just asking because that's the picture that Twist posted and the one that got me interested.

This one... f1.8, 1/125, ISO 250.

DSC00092.jpg

Crop at 100%.

DSC00092-C.jpg

I honesty don't know if it's an issue for me.

Well it's been causing so much concern today that I thought I'd look into it. It's not something that is likely to make a difference to me which is why I haven't bothered before.
First stop- google DPR a73 samples. One of the first images they experienced the problem with is available as a RAW download.
next stop - google DPR A73 striping, takes me to their sample gallery page which tells me it only happens in some circumstances when shooting wide open.
next stop - look at settings on the shot which shows the striping and set them on camera. put a flash behind a doll to cause flare and take shot.
Load into lightroom and I can see the striping pattern in the background. On the A7RII it's very faint but it's there. Even if it was to appear in any of my shots it wouldn't cause me a concern because even when trying to replicate the problem nit is very faint and has to be viewed at 100% to see it.

A7R00889.jpg

Last edited:
So who here can define the definete steps to reproduce this issue all the time?

What exact lighting conditions. Camera settings etc etc needs in order to 100 percent replicate the issue?

As someone who sometimes provokes flare deliberately I suppose this could affect some of my pictures but I think that needs balancing against the benefits.

PS.
That biker couple shot... in a whole image no one I know would spot that banding. That's not an excuse from a Sony fan boy and I'm not saying this is acceptable... Just Sayin' that I think we've seen similar issues before and the human race survived.

Last edited:
But other users have on the dpr forum and also discussed it, and proven it via raw analysis. You really don't want to accept it.... says a lot.

Dan also recreated it with the a9 in minutes but guess you glazed over that.
I do accept it and I'm asking how to and why you would buy the camera in the first place.

Diddnt see Dan create the same issue.only the A9 banding on led lights.

Which is my point. Not seen people who have the camera experience this issue.

Compared to say the stop down focus issue that anyone can try and replicate
To be fair I never saw anyone who suffered with either the flare or shutter shading issue (except the one example of each) with the D750 either yet you'd think it was visible on every shot the way it was portrayed. As I say, these things are blown out of proportion. The thing is with any of these is that I'd be gutted if I was unlucky enough to experience it, that's why I sent my D750 in for the recall despite me being 99.9% sure I would have never seen it ;)

I'll wait on Dan's response as i missed when he posted it. Or I'll troll through his Flickr to try and find it.

See if I can reproduce it with the exact same settings as Dan

I hope it's not some over the top settings like under exposing by 10 stops in order to reprogram lol

Last edited:
The first time I came across an issue like this was when I had my 5D and was reading about some update or other, I can't remember what mk it was, anyway there were reports of ghost images and black spots in blown highlights. These things can be an issue but I do think they and in what circumstances they appear need describing and demonstrating. It's the engineer in me.

Received a used 100-400 GM today but getting a really odd issue - the camera doesn't seem to register that its even there, won't show what F-stop its in (a bit like a dumb adapted manual lens), updated camera firmware to latest and lens firmware seems ok, any suggestions?

Received a used 100-400 GM today but getting a really odd issue - the camera doesn't seem to register that its even there, won't show what F-stop its in (a bit like a dumb adapted manual lens), updated camera firmware to latest and lens firmware seems ok, any suggestions?

Sometimes cleaning the contacts and reseating the lens helps. This was a common issue with old Minolta lenses on a-mount bodies.

That doesn’t sound good, as mentioned it could be the contacts but if the firmware updated ok it might me something more serious.

Obviously you tested on both cameras?

That doesn’t sound good, as mentioned it could be the contacts but if the firmware updated ok it might me something more serious.

Doesn’t want to update firmware, camera tells me that the lens is on v0.1, downloaded v0.2 but when I try and update it just says its “not available for this lens”

Obviously you tested on both cameras?

Yep, same issue on both, the A7rii was on an old firmware (V2) which I initially thought might be the issue but no dice - I updated that to FW 4.00 but the 100-400 still doesn’t work properly, everything else works great though (Samyang 35 f1.4 / Voigtlander 65mm)

Doesn’t want to update firmware, camera tells me that the lens is on v0.1, downloaded v0.2 but when I try and update it just says its “not available for this lens”

Yep, same issue on both, the A7rii was on an old firmware (V2) which I initially thought might be the issue but no dice - I updated that to FW 4.00 but the 100-400 still doesn’t work properly, everything else works great though (Samyang 35 f1.4 / Voigtlander 65mm)

Looks like it be going back prob why it been traded in where ever you purchased from

you'd think shops test whatever people trade-in... i.e. at least try mounting it and taking a half-arsed picture

You would of though so. I know some who do take extra care with testing. But some I doubt it.

I have no doubt it was tested as it was bought from Ffordes but just a bit odd, one body I’d have suspected the camera but two different models it can’t be.
Shame as its mint, and was about £700 less than a new one which frankly I don’t want to pay....

Any switches on the lens? Try switching them

I have no doubt it was tested as it was bought from Ffordes but just a bit odd, one body I’d have suspected the camera but two different models it can’t be.
Shame as its mint, and was about £700 less than a new one which frankly I don’t want to pay....
700 less for second hand? Bargain of the century but I would have been sceptical about it.return it as it seems like a dud

I can't see it in the first but I can in the second.

It's disappointing but I'm not sure it'd put me off as I'm pretty sure I'd only see it in a small number of pictures and I'm pretty certain no one who sees my pictures would see it. So, I'd probably still buy :D

As owners of affected cameras what do you guys think? Is it an issue but one you can live with? Anyone put off buying for this issue?

Back