The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

you'd think shops test whatever people trade-in... i.e. at least try mounting it and taking a half-arsed picture
I know Harrisons throughly test lenses they take in, well they did on the lenses I took in anyway.

Ah well looks like it'll go back, nothing I do seems to work unfortunately :( back to the drawing board.
Can you not ask them to fix it under warranty if it was such a bargain, or would you rather not take the risk?

I know Harrisons throughly test lenses they take in, well they did on the lenses I took in anyway.

Can you not ask them to fix it under warranty if it was such a bargain, or would you rather not take the risk?

Its more a timing thing, I'd rather not wait for weeks on a repair when I could explore other options - maybe a used Canon FE 100-400, seems to work very well with the MC-11

I can't see it in the first but I can in the second.

It's disappointing but I'm not sure it'd put me off as I'm pretty sure I'd only see it in a small number of pictures and I'm pretty certain no one who sees my pictures would see it. So, I'd probably still buy :D

As owners of affected cameras what do you guys think? Is it an issue but one you can live with? Anyone put off buying for this issue?

I can see it in both, but only at 100% - as the line is a pixel high -it disappears once you start zooming out to standard viewing size

So it's unlikely to be seen unless you needed to crop and someone was being very attentive

Haven't noticed it in any working shots, with back lit flash scenes.

Last edited:
I can see it in both, but only at 100% - as the line is a pixel high -it disappears once you start zooming out to standard viewing size

So it's unlikely to be seen unless you needed to crop and someone was being very attentive

TBH if it happened in 1/1000 shots I don't think many people would mind too much, although it is more noticeable on the A7iii. I don't think you're going to ever ruin a key wedding photo due to this issue either as it's highly unlikely going to get a heavily backlit scene of the bride walking down the Aisle, or throwing the bouquet etc. Whilst it could be annoying in a studio environment or outdoor portrait shoot chances are you'll have fired off several of the same shot anyway and it's unlikely that the artefact will be present in all of them.

Anyway, I'm just glad I went with Brikon and don't have to worry about this :D :p I just have to worry about having a giant Popeye arm instead :LOL:

Thanks.

The flare shots I take are just for me so I don't think I'll worry about this too much.

It'll be interesting to see if the technology moves on over time and if this can be resolved with either in camera trickery or new hardware but the fix may bring a new issue. Such is life. There's no free lunch etc... :D

Last edited:
Thanks.

The flare shots I take are just for me so I don't think I'll worry about this too much.

It'll be interesting to see if the technology moves on over time and if this can be resolved with either in camera trickery or new hardware but the fix may bring a new issue. Such is life. There's no free lunch etc... :D

It would be a several thousand £ lunch not a free one.

It would be a several thousand £ lunch not a free one.

That's not what I meant Tom and I think you know that but I'll play along.

I'm sure you know what I meant was that there are probably going to be trade offs with new developments. For example having focus on the sensor in this way creates this issue, doing it on sensor a different way may cure this issue but create another and of course having focus off sensor may lead to having to MA your lenses to different degrees at multiple distances from the camera. Imagine paying £2k or more for a new DSLR and finding that you have to retune all of your lenses and still not be able to guarantee reliable focus at every focus distance.

Back when I worked in products and all of that stuff one analogy someone gave me stuck with me and it was this... "Imagine a blanket, it has a few holes in it but does it still work as a blanket?" I'd expend that analogy to "and are there any better viable ways of making a blanket with fewer holes?"

The question for me is therefore is a CSC with this sort of issue still a viable camera for me and I think that the answer is yes as even with this issue the affected cameras may still be the best option given the issues that alternative ways of doing things (other cameras) may have.

I realise you folk are nearly all pros who demand autofocus and love fast zooms so this will be of limited interest. However Zeiss have a few promotions on a the moment and one is:

Zeiss Loxia 85mm at £914.00

I realise you folk are nearly all pros who demand autofocus and love fast zooms so this will be of limited interest. However Zeiss have a few promotions on a the moment and one is:

Ooooh! Want!

But it's f2.4. If it was f2... I know this may be just psychological but...

Ooooh! Want!

But it's f2.4. If it was f2... I know this may be just psychological but...

Free postage, arrives next day...

Hey I'll be in near you next weekend. Food Festival at Auckland Castle Saturday

Free postage, arrives next day...

Hey I'll be in near you next weekend. Food Festival at Auckland Castle Saturday

Stop it.

Haven't heard about that, will Google it.

You're welcome to come for tea :D

PS.
I have three old 85mm lenses but I was thinking recently that I could get a modern one... but in reality it's not a length I use all that much as I tend to go more for 35/50mm.

Last edited:
Stop it.
PS.
I have three old 85mm lenses but I was thinking recently that I could get a modern one... but in reality it's not a length I use all that much as I tend to go more for 35/50mm.

Don't buy one then!!! Get another 35mm!.. That Loxia is nice though!

The Batis on their site is still over £100 more than Sex and other places.

With you on this one. Got to roll around in one of these over the weekend!

Shift like s*** and handles corners fantastic. Put it in fast mode hear the engine roar

Stop it.

Haven't heard about that, will Google it.

You're welcome to come for tea :D

PS.
Very kind, could bring some nice cake from the fair. But shan't have time this weekend as dropping a daughter at Uni, seeing Mum & the festival and staying at sisters in Bishop, before back to the smoke Sunday. But I have been known to visit Hartlepool, Roseberry Topping and RSPB Saltholm which must be a stones throw from you, so maybe later in the year?

If you haven't seen the castle it is quite photogenic and the weather looks promising. I'll be taking my 21mm too ;)

G Wagons are super cool

No chance I know a few people with them all
Braking down with electrical failure quite a few in the area
But when they work they’re so nice ;) Reliability has got better to be fair.

Shift like s*** and handles corners fantastic. Put it in fast mode hear the engine roar
I’ve always found Audi’s a bit sterile compared to other marques, YMMV ;)

Don't buy one then!!! Get another 35mm!.. That Loxia is nice though!
I honestly think I'm done buying lenses.

I have all the old msnual lenses I want apart from a couple of Voigtlanders and modern manual lens wise I have all I want unless I go for modern manual 85. Modern AF lens wise I have all I want unless I go for the 20mm Firin and maybe an 85mm f1.8 and maybe a wide zoom.

So I have all I need, unless I don't : D

No chance I know a few people with them all
Braking down with electrical failure quite a few in the area
According to the latest JD the Audi's are at the bottom of the reliability table just above BMW. I was surprised at this given the image of reliability and quality that the Germans try to push.

Actually when you've owned old MG's none of this matters :D

Very kind, could bring some nice cake from the fair. But shan't have time this weekend as dropping a daughter at Uni, seeing Mum & the festival and staying at sisters in Bishop, before back to the smoke Sunday. But I have been known to visit Hartlepool, Roseberry Topping and RSPB Saltholm which must be a stones throw from you, so maybe later in the year?

If you haven't seen the castle it is quite photogenic and the weather looks promising. I'll be taking my 21mm too ;)
Yes, give me a shout if heading up this way and the same for the rest of you. I tend to be quite busy at home but with notice I could possibly get some cover and meet up.

According to the latest JD the Audi's are at the bottom of the reliability table just above BMW. I was surprised at this given the image of reliability and quality that the Germans try to push.

Actually when you've owned old MG's none of this matters :D

I've owned multiple BMW's (all which had issues), before owning a 2015 Golf R and now a 2017 Audi Allroad. Audi has less rattles than the Golf, other than that - i've had no serious issues with either. (side mirror dip failed on the Golf, also had a little wind noise from one door). So far, no issues with the Audi other than slightly misting up headlights now and again (LED units, so no heat to disperse the misting!).

Whilst no car is free from faults, the 2 cars i've owned from the VAG group have certainly been better than the BMW's I owned before that...

Side note: Has anyone got a dash cam they'd recommend? I think it's about time I bought one.. (vaguely camera related, right?!)

I've owned multiple BMW's (all which had issues), before owning a 2015 Golf R and now a 2017 Audi Allroad. Audi has less rattles than the Golf, other than that - i've had no serious issues with either. (side mirror dip failed on the Golf, also had a little wind noise from one door). So far, no issues with the Audi other than slightly misting up headlights now and again (LED units, so no heat to disperse the misting!).

Whilst no car is free from faults, the 2 cars i've owned from the VAG group have certainly been better than the BMW's I owned before that...
The most unreliable cars I've had have been BMWs, but then I've had 6 which is more than any other brand I've had so it's a little skewed. However my 330 sport coupe needed a new air con system, my first M3 had 12 (yes 12) faults and ended up being exchanged in the end, and my current X5 still has ongoing issues, although minor. The most reliable cars I've had have been Scoobies and my Land Rover.

The most unreliable cars I've had have been BMWs, but then I've had 6 which is more than any other brand I've had so it's a little skewed. However my 330 sport coupe needed a new air con system, my first M3 had 12 (yes 12) faults and ended up being exchanged in the end, and my current X5 still has ongoing issues, although minor. The most reliable cars I've had have been Scoobies and my Land Rover.

Yeah, that's a tad rough. What one earth was wrong with the M3 (which model)? Engine wise, I stick to the flat 6's on the BMW's - not a fan of the 4 pots. V6 on the Audi now, lovely engine it is.

Yeah, that's a tad rough. What one earth was wrong with the M3 (which model)? Engine wise, I stick to the flat 6's on the BMW's - not a fan of the 4 pots. V6 on the Audi now, lovely engine it is.
M3 was the E92 V8. Problems ranges from a weird rattling sound from the engine that I had a battle over for about 3-4 months with BMW refusing that it was there, in the end it turned out to be the belt to the power steering pump (or was it air con pump? :confused:) Then there were minor things like the DAB not working requiring a new rear windscreen, issue with the rain sensor wipers, plus others, but the final nail was very loud banging (like a gun being fired) which caused the back end to judder. This went undiagnosed :eek:

My current X5 is a 6 pot, and very nice it is too,..... for a diesel ;)

Back