The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

But it's more expensive than the Nikkor :eek:

They might as well not release this lens in Nikon F mount :p

This is like a total wild guess, I get a feeling that they haven’t compromised anything in making this at all, it doesn’t feel like they are making to hit a price point, there doesn’t seem to be and size restrictions, filter thread size restrictions. It’s almost like “just make the best 105/1.4 you can get” and see what comes out and we’ll price it accordingly.

If this lens falls in line with their other Art lenses, it will be a portrait photographer’s dream, I also think these kind of fast prime lenses won’t be made forever, the newer model will always be a little slower (105/1.8), more compact. Canon 200/1.8 was replaced with the 200/2.0. 50/1.0 is now 50/1.2, and even 50/1.4 is basically the new standard, 85/1.2 is now 85/1.4. These super fast lenses seems to be done to show off, a kind of Halo lens for the brand.

Sigma seems to be doing what Canon did back in the 90’s with their 135/1.8. Once their R&D have had their fun, it’ll be refined and back to regular schedule.

That’s what I think anyway.

At the moment it will be just body and kit lens.

Would like it to extend to poss 1 prime lens, compact flash and accessories.

Will be used for general safe keep and city breaks,

Budget up to £50.

This is like a total wild guess, I get a feeling that they haven’t compromised anything in making this at all, it doesn’t feel like they are making to hit a price point, there doesn’t seem to be and size restrictions, filter thread size restrictions. It’s almost like “just make the best 105/1.4 you can get” and see what comes out and we’ll price it accordingly.

If this lens falls in line with their other Art lenses, it will be a portrait photographer’s dream, I also think these kind of fast prime lenses won’t be made forever, the newer model will always be a little slower (105/1.8), more compact. Canon 200/1.8 was replaced with the 200/2.0. 50/1.0 is now 50/1.2, and even 50/1.4 is basically the new standard, 85/1.2 is now 85/1.4. These super fast lenses seems to be done to show off, a kind of Halo lens for the brand.

Sigma seems to be doing what Canon did back in the 90’s with their 135/1.8. Once their R&D have had their fun, it’ll be refined and back to regular schedule.

That’s what I think anyway.

Well its not like nikon 105mm f1.4 is bad, in fact its pretty sharp wide open. I'd be surprised if there was any perceivable difference in output with the current sensors.

Budget up to £50.

tenba dna 8 seems like a nice small fit with good easy access :)

slight over budget but you can find used ones under your bedget

Budget up to £50.

My mind was going Wotancradt Ryker, Wotancradt Ryker, Wotancradt Ryker then saw the budget.

I might end up getting one. I've still got the hope that someone will make me a nice bag from my old leather jackets as that'll keep the memory alive and in use but no one seems interested in taking my money :( There are sometimes bag makers at the local agricultural show in the summer and if there are any this year I'll ask and if not I'll probably give up and get a Wotancraft.

In the meantine I'm still using the manbag the Mrs haggled down for me on the floating market :D

The floating market, A7 and Sony 35mm f2.8, f8.

DSC06933.jpg

Last edited:
I might end up getting one. I've still got the hope that someone will make me a nice bag from my old leather jackets as that'll keep the memory alive and in use but no one seems interested in taking my money :( There are sometimes bag makers at the local agricultural show in the summer and if there are any this year I'll ask and if not I'll probably give up and get a Wotancraft.
Buy the Sony A7 III first ;)

Buy the Sony A7 III first ;)

It'll just be spending money for new toys, that's all... I almost exclusively use manual lenses these days so I don't exactly need blistering performance. The things that could tempt me are the focus joystick thingy and possibly reduced chance of sensor reflections but to be honest sometimes things like that can add to a shot. I don't know if this is a reflection issue or not but everyone loves this shot, me too :D

A7 and Sony 35mm f2.8, f4.

DSC04472.jpg

Last edited:
As I'm here. This shot from last week was one of my favorite non Mrs Woof Woof shots and the more I look at it the more I like it :D

A7 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.4, at f8.

1-DSC00021.jpg

I wanted all of the cliffs visible but sadly it was hazy and they're not so I'll have to try and take the shot again on a clear sunny day and those are rare here. We were there again today but the tide was in and it was raining :(

Last edited:
That 7artisans 50mm f1.1 is still for sale in the classifieds... There's a slightly cheaper one on evil bay.

PS.
I keep looking at these and also the Voigtlander 50mm f1.1 but I suppose I should forget them and use my Minolta 50mm f1.2 or more modern Voigtlander 40mm f1.2.

Last edited:
Last edited:
First indication on the price for tamron 28-75mm/2.8 - https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-tamron-28-75mm-fe-price-is-94500-yen/

Probably will be around £800-1000 I guess in the UK. I am slowly selling and gathering pennies :D

Alan, you wouldn't be interested in a spare second minolta 45mm f2? :D

Update:
seems to be 8690 Swedish Krona - https://www.cyberphoto.se/info.php?article=2875mk3so
That is like £720 :eek:

It's Tamron remember, so 94500 yen = £620 add VAT and you end up on £744.

Big opportunity for them, given the alternative options and prices there's a great big hole in the market for them to exploit.

It's Tamron remember, so 94500 yen = £620 add VAT and you end up on £744.

Big opportunity for them, given the alternative options and prices there's a great big hole in the market for them to exploit.

Would be nice if it came in at that price. But then the question would be - the Tamron, or a used Canon L lens for a little more?

Would be nice if it came in at that price. But then the question would be - the Tamron, or a used Canon L lens for a little more?

Native Id say. Depends on if the Tamron performs as well or nearly in terms of IQ.

You sure? I tried a Canon 70-200 2.8 L II today - worked excellently well. In fact, felt just about native. Eye af also tracked in CAF with really no issues at all. Properly surprised me.

Optically, the Canon is easily the better lens. So..

You sure? I tried a Canon 70-200 2.8 L II today - worked excellently well. In fact, felt just about native. Eye af also tracked in CAF with really no issues at all. Properly surprised me.

Optically, the Canon is easily the better lens. So..

The Canon is better than the GM? I wouldve thought they are very similar.

Adapted lenses just dont perform like native when the light goes.

Tamron for me, full native support with eye AF beats adapter :)

Also tamron is claiming is GM quality so it may be as good as canon L lens.

The Canon is better than the GM? I wouldve thought they are very similar.

Adapted lenses just dont perform like native when the light goes.

Not sure, actually - haven’t seen any side by side comparisons. Equally I haven’t seen any proper reviews on the Tamron yet, so I’m reserving judgement on that. If it’s truly as good as the GM it’s a no brainier, sure.

What's the alternative? Price range and function it's probably a used EF 24-70mm f/2.8 mkI or a FE 24-105mm f/4, I've got to assume it's a better performer than either of those (or at least close to the FE) and being native is always easier to live with, then add in its relatively small size (a little long but not too tubby) and weight (even when compared to an f/4) and it would appear to tick a lot of boxes.

So I'm optimistic; more choices, more people using the system, more used copies floating about is all to my benefit.

Last edited:
At a glance I thought Sony had released a lens dock ! Silly Facebook ads!

Z0BivtS.png

Mia Sabel, she'll makes you a bag.
She'll help you design it, and make it to fit. And it will cost at least as much as ONO or Wothowmuchcraft :)

http://www.sabelsaddlery.co.uk/home.html
See the Bags and Cases page, gallery pictures, page three for my telescope case. Also buy my belts from her.

Last edited:
So @twist how you getting on with yours?

Weekend was lens testing so didn't do anything proper. Quite annoyed. Don't have time during the week. So far impressions are good, it's an expensive move for no real difference in image quality though. I need some quality time with it. Eye af still isn't foolproof like some would have you believe.

Not head over heels with it.... hopefully that will come.

Yea it works like native

It doesn’t work like native lenses, as it doesn’t shoot at 20fps for starters ;)
Adding 3rd party adaptors between the body and lenses is always going result in compromises, size is another compromise.
If you add the price of latest Canon 70-200mm L lens cost then add the latest Sigma adaptor cost.... I’d say it’s pretty close to the Sony 70-200mm GM price @ £2200 approx.

Last edited:
I see a lot of people are using Canon lenses on their Sony's. I take it that an adapter is being used, do you still retain all functions of camera/lens using the adapter?

First indication on the price for tamron 28-75mm/2.8 - https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-tamron-28-75mm-fe-price-is-94500-yen/

Probably will be around £800-1000 I guess in the UK. I am slowly selling and gathering pennies :D

Alan, you wouldn't be interested in a spare second minolta 45mm f2? :D

Update:
seems to be 8690 Swedish Krona - https://www.cyberphoto.se/info.php?article=2875mk3so
That is like £720 :eek:

A colleague is off to Hong Kong in a week's time. Keeping fingers crossed that some of the HK dealers will have it up on their websites by then.

Back