The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Loss of selling a canon for the Sony.

Don't forget where speaking from people who own canon glass already.

Also. Many gm lenses are almost the same size as the canon and adapter attached.

I have the Canon 70-200 which performs extremely well and have showed you all the outcome from it and a video..

It's pointless for me to sell the Canon at a loss and spend 2k on the gm for iq that barely any better then the Canon and af performance I'd barely notice?

Maybe if I was a full time sports togger then maybe. But most of us ain't and are hobbiest photographer's who wouldn't be dissatisfied with adapting some lenses.
Makes perfect sense... but I never had any Canon lenses.. so native was the better option for me. :D

Perhaps but I prefer sticking with native lenses without the need to have an additional adapter stuck between the body and lens, thus adding more length and weight to the Canon lenses.

When I bought my Sony 70-200mm f2.8 GM lens, the Canon 70-200mm f2.8 L II was around £2000, add the Sigma MC adaptor for £200 = £2200.
Why would I buy the Canon + Sigma MC option when I bought the GM for not much more? ;)
What is the Canon setup going to give me over the GM?

You can buy one used and save yourself £1500. So..

You can buy one used and save yourself £1500. So..
Sure, but if you could apply this logic to Sony, I could have bought a used 70-200mm f2.8 GM from this very site for £1450, without then having to spend £100-150 on a used Sigma MC adapter for the Canon? :D
Buy what works best for you.

Sure, but if you could apply this logic to Sony, I could have bought a used 70-200mm f2.8 GM from this very site for £1450, without then having to spend £100-150 on a used Sigma MC adapter for the Canon? :D
If u came from canon and already had the 70-200 f2,8 mk2, would u have gotten rid of it if it did the job for u on your A9? Or still get the GM?

If u came from canon and already had the 70-200 f2,8 mk2, would u have gotten rid of it if it did the job for u on your A9? Or still get the GM?

Me being me, I would probably get rid of it and buy the GM .... I am a native kind of guy.... like things to match and from the same brand.... OCD innit :D

Last edited:
I would say 95% of my shots are done on 35/50/85, especially the 35mm, half my shots in my LR library are of that focal length. The other 5%, due to the infrequency of them, if I need to use them with their maximum performance then I’ll just go with the Canon for that particular shot.

The only exception I can see is the 105/1.4. I plan to shoot mainly portraits with this so Eye-AF is going to be critical, meaning it will make sense to go with the native FE mount. The only reason I think I want an Canon mount is because I like to see it on a Canon sensor, and any portrait work will not really be too much of a challenge for either camera, even via adaptor.

p.s. I have not mentioned this or heard anyone mentioned this. I am personally thanking Sony to make the mount the right way round, twist clockwise to lock, anti-clockwise to unlock, just like Canon, Fuji, Olympus. I remember the first time I picked up a Nikon lens and thought to myself, “what idiot designed this to be purposely backwards, everything else in the world locks down clockwise, stupid stupid mount.”. So thank you Sony for not messing with logic and my head.

*no doubt someone will find an example of something else that locks at anti-clockwise too…that’s stupid too! :p

I’ve been searching for a decently priced, used, 70-200 GM for months. They’re like gold dust. Canon have been selling glass for millennia, man. Loads of great used options.

What are the main factors interesting you guys about the new Tamron 28-75? Is it the combination of the price/size/weight? I know it's cheaper than the Sony 24-105 but that is wider, longer and has optical stabilisation. Or do you think the Tamron would have better IQ than the Sony? (I've never used a Tamron lens before so don't know what they are like)

vs. 24-105mm f/4
mainly f2.8 but its nice to have reduced size, weight and price.

vs. 24-70GM
Size, weight and price

I personally don't care for stabilization in general but my body has it anyway. I think its IQ will be better than 24-105mm f4 but not as good as 24-70mm f/2.8 GM (even though they claim it is). But no one knows for sure, its all just speculation.

Tamron make some very good and sharp lenses and they have a long history of making good affordable lenses. It is also rumoured that some of the zeiss batis lenses are actually designed by tamron (eg: batis 85mm). Sony is the second largest shareholder in tamron (10% i think). Sony in past have rebranded few tamron lenses. More recently pentax have rebranded a few tamron lenses.

Last edited:
I would say 95% of my shots are done on 35/50/85, especially the 35mm, half my shots in my LR library are of that focal length. The other 5%, due to the infrequency of them, if I need to use them with their maximum performance then I’ll just go with the Canon for that particular shot.

The only exception I can see is the 105/1.4. I plan to shoot mainly portraits with this so Eye-AF is going to be critical, meaning it will make sense to go with the native FE mount. The only reason I think I want an Canon mount is because I like to see it on a Canon sensor, and any portrait work will not really be too much of a challenge for either camera, even via adaptor.

p.s. I have not mentioned this or heard anyone mentioned this. I am personally thanking Sony to make the mount the right way round, twist clockwise to lock, anti-clockwise to unlock, just like Canon, Fuji, Olympus. I remember the first time I picked up a Nikon lens and thought to myself, “what idiot designed this to be purposely backwards, everything else in the world locks down clockwise, stupid stupid mount.”. So thank you Sony for not messing with logic and my head.

*no doubt someone will find an example of something else that locks at anti-clockwise too…that’s stupid too! :p
Lol have you seen there 70-200 nikon? The focus and zoom rings are position reversed ie the zoom ring is at the front and focus on the near lol

What are the main factors interesting you guys about the new Tamron 28-75? Is it the combination of the price/size/weight? I know it's cheaper than the Sony 24-105 but that is wider, longer and has optical stabilisation. Or do you think the Tamron would have better IQ than the Sony? (I've never used a Tamron lens before so don't know what they are like)

Mainly because there isn't currently any other (affordable) workhorse F2.8 lens for FE. The GM lens very good but it's also £1800. The 24-105 is longer, F4 and still £1200. If the Tamron lens is a solid performer (I used to use their original 17-50 when I shot Canon crop and it was a very good all round lens) I think it will sell very well as lots of people, myself included, have been waiting for a genuine walkabout lens that's a realistic price for the majority of users.

could be of interest to some ...

Ever tried Capture One as RAW converter? The Fuji X Forum has just started a partnership with Phase One – thus we can offer you a 10% voucher code for the brand new Capture One 11.1 update which supports the new Sony A7 III.

Simply enter AMBSAF during the order check-out to save 10%!

Excellent, thanks for sharing. I am going to test this out, was considering Adobe CC / Afinity Photo.
I don't fancy being forced to go subscription only via the Lightroom route and Afinity Photo doesnt have native catalog support.

Reviews seem positive... here is one....
https://fstoppers.com/originals/capture-one-11-depth-review-208556

I could by Capture One for Sony 11 for 79 euro's! Seems cheap.

Hang one a min....

Capture One Express Sony is an award winning imaging editor for supported Sony cameras that comes with your Sony camera.

My A7 III didnt come with Capture One Express Sony, did I miss something? :eek:

Last edited:
I could by Capture One for Sony 11 for 79 euro's! Seems cheap.

It has less features than the main package, although I've never looked into the actual differences.

I do like Capture One a lot, I had to abandon Lightroom due to its utterly terrible performance but the latest versions work pretty well so there's less incentive to switch.

I do not like that they force you to buy a new version to get updated raw support though...

It has less features than the main package, although I've never looked into the actual differences.

I do like Capture One a lot, I had to abandon Lightroom due to its utterly terrible performance but the latest versions work pretty well so there's less incentive to switch.

I do not like that they force you to buy a new version to get updated raw support though...

from what I understood you get all the features as the pro version but could only use it with Sony RAWs (of course the express free version for sony has less features)

from what I understood you get all the features as the pro version but could only use it with Sony RAWs (of course the express free version for sony has less features)
Still, 70 euro's plus 10% discount sounds cheap enough to give it a try. :)

just get the free version if you want to try it (they probably have a trial version too!)
Fair point doh :D
Time to start looking at a new MacBook Pro, hoping to grab a 2015 model before Apple discontinues them.

I have always been a fan of 50mm focal length, but I do find it quite limiting if just wanting to take out 1 prime as its sometimes a bit long!

I need to actually give 35mm a proper go - I usually buy one then give up pretty quickly lol!

Fair point doh :D
Time to start looking at a new MacBook Pro, hoping to grab a 2015 model before Apple discontinues them.

I have late 2013 model and now a 2016 model. The 2016 model honestly sucks, I really miss the esc button and also only 4 USB-C posts is rubbish especially since one of them is taken up the charger. Also much prefer the old magnetic charger which was also safer.Apple have lost it with this one.

Also own a late 2015 27" iMac that I use for photo editing. I'd suggest this for photo editing instead of a small macbook pro

I have late 2013 model and now a 2016 model. The 2016 model honestly sucks, I really miss the esc button and also only 4 USB-C posts is rubbish especially since one of them is taken up the charger. Also much prefer the old magnetic charger which was also safer.Apple have lost it with this one.

Also own a late 2015 27" iMac that I use for photo editing. I'd suggest this for photo editing instead of a small macbook pro

Space is bit of a issue hence need a MacBook Pro, however once we have moved I could get an external monitor to hook up to the MacBook Pro.
Your not the first person to prefer the older MacBook Pro version over the latest.
Seriously tempted to buy the 2015" 15" Macbook Pro with all the options ticked.......

I have posted tons of video tests and real world images taken on various canon glasses that all prove that it does the job on those scenarios i showed here.

I even showed a sigma 35mm 1.4 focus in darkness in CAF mode

The 85mm 1.2 also performs better on a sony then on a canon body, ie it locks on focus just as fast as in a canon body but has more accurate AF and EYE-AF to boot.

Seriously you and many here would do perfectly fine with adapted glasses.

Have to agree, unless your doing something like sport or more "pro" stuff or maybe trying to shoot kids running around its fine...

I'd expect IQ to be close, The newer Tamron glass has been excellent, size/price/weight and f2.8 attracting me, £700 v £1850 for the 24-70... will miss 24mm but I've got a 21mm for that!

OS I don't care about when the A7riii has IBIS

Space is bit of a issue hence need a MacBook Pro, however once we have moved I could get an external monitor to hook up to the MacBook Pro.
Your not the first person to prefer the older MacBook Pro version over the latest.
Seriously tempted to buy the 2015" 15" Macbook Pro with all the options ticked.......

if the move is imminent then surely its better to holdout and buy an iMac. Also Monitor+MBP takes more space than an iMac, not to mention wires everywhere!
I use MBP for work but only because I use dual 27" monitors. If its one monitor I have to use for photo editing then it'd be an iMac.

if the move is imminent then surely its better to holdout and buy an iMac. Also Monitor+MBP takes more space than an iMac, not to mention wires everywhere!
I use MBP for work but only because I use dual 27" monitors. If its one monitor I have to use for photo editing then it'd be an iMac.
Your talking sense..... could setup a desk in the spare bedroom for a iMac..... however if our little one gets in there bye bye iMac - smash! :D lol

Mainly because there isn't currently any other (affordable) workhorse F2.8 lens for FE. The GM lens very good but it's also £1800. The 24-105 is longer, F4 and still £1200. If the Tamron lens is a solid performer (I used to use their original 17-50 when I shot Canon crop and it was a very good all round lens) I think it will sell very well as lots of people, myself included, have been waiting for a genuine walkabout lens that's a realistic price for the majority of users.

I had one too, I think it cost about £80 new and at the time I hadn't used a sharper zoom, actually I found it a bit too sharp for portraits :D

If they make a decent job of this one and if it's a good price I expect a few here will be buying one.

I have always been a fan of 50mm focal length, but I do find it quite limiting if just wanting to take out 1 prime as its sometimes a bit long!

I need to actually give 35mm a proper go - I usually buy one then give up pretty quickly lol!

I used to mainly use 50mm but I seem to have migrated to 35mm.

Not Sony but interesting....

I spotted this instant film Rollei on DPR...

https://www.dpreview.com/news/9122234525/rollei-returns-with-the-new-rolleiflex-instant-kamera-tlr

I can't see it being as popular as the Fuji ones but I think a few people might be mildly interested, until the novelty wears off. Some might stick with one I suppose and they do look nice :D

Direct link to the kickstarter page which has a little video on it...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rolleiinstantcamera/rolleiflextm-instant-kamera

I think my niece would love one :D

Last edited:
Not Sony but interesting....

I spotted this instant film Rollei on DPR...

https://www.dpreview.com/news/9122234525/rollei-returns-with-the-new-rolleiflex-instant-kamera-tlr

I can't see it being as popular as the Fuji ones but I think a few people might be mildly interested, until the novelty wears off. Some might stick with one I suppose and they do look nice :D

Direct link to the kickstarter page which has a little video on it...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rolleiinstantcamera/rolleiflextm-instant-kamera

I think my niece would love one :D

It’s a Mint TL70 with a branding tie in with Rollei (that’s a brand owned by a holding company, not the proper camera company). It’s surpassed its funding in the first hour but seems to be from the majority of people who don’t get that it’s an existing camera with a new badge!

It’s actually a good Instax camera and certainly nicer to use than the Fuji versions (other than the Mini 90 that’s very good but now discontinued).

It really depends what your going to be shooting, for a lot of people the functionality/capability of an adapted Canon lens is more than enough for their use, certainly I've never had any issues but I tend to do things that are slower paced like landscapes, travel shooting, etc - not sport.

So for portraits using off camera flash they would be okay? I generally shoot portraiture and people. Nothing fast at all

Just given Capture One Express Sony a quick trial, initial impressions are good.... very quick to pick things up coming from Adobe Lightroom and its pretty snappy even on my old MacBook Pro mid-2010.
I am still considering Affinity Photo on a iPad Pro thought rather than a MacBook Pro / iMac setup. :)

Close to getting A7iii. Can't afford a Sony 16-35, so was initially by thinking about getting MC11 and canon 17-40 f4 for landscapes and general wider stuff. Now wondering if a manual samyang 14mm and a 35mm f2.8 would be the way to go. Would I see appreciably better sharpness and IQ going the latter route?

Back