The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

i wentto the sony world photography exhibition and saw some great images there. highly recommend you go.

the biggest news is that they had a a7mk3 on display ;)

Close to getting A7iii. Can't afford a Sony 16-35, so was initially by thinking about getting MC11 and canon 17-40 f4 for landscapes and general wider stuff. Now wondering if a manual samyang 14mm and a 35mm f2.8 would be the way to go. Would I see appreciably better sharpness and IQ going the latter route?
Don't know if this helps? Can't find a 35mm f2.8 for either Canon or Samyang, but my god does that Canon 35mm f2 IS score some serious sharpness according to DXO :eek: I must admit, I find changing lenses whilst out doing landscapes a bit of a pain, especially if it's windy and there's dust and pollen blowing around.

https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Comp...sus-35mm-F1.4-AS-UMC-Canon__794_0_365_0_358_0

Cheers Toby. Considering the mp of that canon camera, the dxo sharpness scores don't seem that impressive... Or am I reading it wrong?

I love relatively wide when doing landscapes so usually stick to one lens with my Fuji Xt1.. The samyang 12mm.

I'm going around in circles with lenses. Further down the road (autumn) I can see me getting the 70-200 f4, but for now on a limited initial budget of around £1k for a couple of lenses, I'm going back and forth with what to get. I'm set on the 85mm f1/8 which will do for my studio and outdoor portraits... And hopefully for some close up action stuff, but for the rest of my budget I was thinking about the previously stated options.

Then again, I wonder if I should just get a samyang 35mm f1.4 and work with that for all of my wider needs (and to also include portraits). There is a fear though that it won't be wide enough for me! ....Arghhhhh!

The thing is that I originally said that I wanted to strip back to a one body a two lens kit.... Now I'm looking at 4 lenses!... Bah!

Cheers Toby. Considering the mp of that canon camera, the dxo sharpness scores don't seem that impressive... Or am I reading it wrong?

I love relatively wide when doing landscapes so usually stick to one lens with my Fuji Xt1.. The samyang 12mm.

I'm going around in circles with lenses. Further down the road (autumn) I can see me getting the 70-200 f4, but for now on a limited initial budget of around £1k for a couple of lenses, I'm going back and forth with what to get. I'm set on the 85mm f1/8 which will do for my studio and outdoor portraits... And hopefully for some close up action stuff, but for the rest of my budget I was thinking about the previously stated options.

Then again, I wonder if I should just get a samyang 35mm f1.4 and work with that for all of my wider needs (and to also include portraits). There is a fear though that it won't be wide enough for me! ....Arghhhhh!

The thing is that I originally said that I wanted to strip back to a one body a two lens kit.... Now I'm looking at 4 lenses!... Bah!

28 and 85... under budget

Don't know if this helps? Can't find a 35mm f2.8 for either Canon or Samyang, but my god does that Canon 35mm f2 IS score some serious sharpness according to DXO :eek: I must admit, I find changing lenses whilst out doing landscapes a bit of a pain, especially if it's windy and there's dust and pollen blowing around.

https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Comp...sus-35mm-F1.4-AS-UMC-Canon__794_0_365_0_358_0

Yeah it's a nice small sharp lens I wish Sony would provide for e-mount :(

But my Zeiss 35mm f1.4 is very nice too :D

28 and 85... under budget
Cheers for the suggestion. I'll have a look at that 28mm f2. I did briefly consider it but as it would also need to double up for portraits, I thought it might be too wide and introduce distortion. I was thinking that 35mm was probably the minimum that I could readily get away with for portraits.

I'm sure you know this, that it's camera to subject distance that introduces perspective distortion not focal length as such... So if you were to take a head and shoulders shot with an 85mm and then from the same distance take the shot with a 28mm neither shot would have much if any perspective distortion to complain about but the 28mm shot would include more of the subject and surroundings :D Take a tighter head and shoulders shot with 28mm and you're going to need to be careful :D

Close to getting A7iii. Can't afford a Sony 16-35, so was initially by thinking about getting MC11 and canon 17-40 f4 for landscapes and general wider stuff. Now wondering if a manual samyang 14mm and a 35mm f2.8 would be the way to go. Would I see appreciably better sharpness and IQ going the latter route?

I used a 17-40 on an A7ii a few years back and really pleased with it, especially considering the cost of one used - I'd buy it over the 14mm (unless you really need 14mm)

I'm sure you know this, that it's camera to subject distance that introduces perspective distortion not focal length as such... So if you were to take a head and shoulders shot with an 85mm and then from the same distance take the shot with a 28mm neither shot would have much if any perspective distortion to complain about but the 28mm shot would include more of the subject and surroundings :D Take a tighter head and shoulders shot with 28mm and you're going to need to be careful :D
Yeah, cheers. I got caught out a while back taking portraits in a tight cellar. I borrowed my mates 35mm 1.4 art and the model ended up with a cone head.... She wasn't best pleased.... And I was left embarrassed! Lol.

Yeah, cheers. I got caught out a while back taking portraits in a tight cellar. I borrowed my mates 35mm 1.4 art and the model ended up with a cone head.... She wasn't best pleased.... And I was left embarrassed! Lol.

Sorry to post that as I'm sure you know but there are those reading this who don't. I've spoken to some even quite experienced people who don't appear to understand perspective and also what happens when you use wider lenses on crop cameras.

Just another word on perspectives... one picture I took years ago was of a lady (my then GF) with nice legs :D so I shot with a wide lens from a low angle and of course her legs looked even more epic and she loved the picture :D As did everyone :D

Sorry to post that as I'm sure you know but there are those reading this who don't. I've spoken to some even quite experienced people who don't appear to understand perspective and also what happens when you use wider lenses on crop cameras.

Just another word on perspectives... one picture I took years ago was of a lady (my then GF) with nice legs :D so I shot with a wide lens from a low angle and of course her legs looked even more epic and she loved the picture :D As did everyone :D
Haha. No worries. Your post was very helpful, cheers.

Yep, that distortion can sometimes be used to great effect.

!

It's one of those lenses that's not optimised for high MP so if you check the scores with the 5D4 it doesn't alter much, on the A7iii I'd expect it to be pretty comparable with the 5D4 (less MP but a better and newer sensor). ON the 5D4 it's only one score lower than my Nikon 18-35mm G on the D750 and I'm always wowed with the detail on that lens tbh. I don't know how the 18-35mm fairs on my D850 as they've not done any testing with the D850 yet. Come on DXO pull your bloody finger out, the D850's been out for ages now :mad:

LCE have a used 16-35mm f/4 for £650.

The thing to remember, if you go with an adapted wide angle, the corners will suffer for it. If you can live with that then it's a cheap option if you already have an adapter otherwise I wouldn't bother.

I think I'm right in saying that 28mm equiv is now the most used focal length by far... if only because of the vast number of people shooting with phones.

Having spent the last two days looking at Mrs Woof Woof's extended family holiday shots from Singapore, and they're excellent on screen, I can see why many see 28mm as one of the classic focal lengths. It's a bit on the wide side for me but as I seem to have gone from 50mm to 35 as a standard and my most used lens was once a 12-24mm I may get to 28mm one day :D I am tempted to get the 28mm f2.

Last edited:
Hmmmmm! ... Sony 28mm f2 for £365 at Clifton Cameras ... or ... Samyang 35af 1.4 from SRS for £499 .... although that's a bit big looking (and probably heavy, as a walkabout)

... or something completely different? :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmmm! ... Sony 28mm f2 for £365 at Clifton Cameras ... or ... Samyang 35af 1.4 from SRS for £499 .... although that's a bit big looking (and probably heavy, as a walkabout)

At the moment my Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 is my favourite but there's a tempting 7artisans 50mm f1.1 in the for sale section and a cheaper one on evil bay.

Sammy in stock at SRS....one less now..

Space is bit of a issue hence need a MacBook Pro, however once we have moved I could get an external monitor to hook up to the MacBook Pro.
Your not the first person to prefer the older MacBook Pro version over the latest.
Seriously tempted to buy the 2015" 15" Macbook Pro with all the options ticked.......

I have the newer version and love it. Hook it up to a 27’ screen when I really want to spoil myself but more importantly it’s given me extra freedom. Being upstairs out the way all the time was starting to get to her indoors, can
do plenty now on my lap.

if the move is imminent then surely its better to holdout and buy an iMac. Also Monitor+MBP takes more space than an iMac, not to mention wires everywhere!
I use MBP for work but only because I use dual 27" monitors. If its one monitor I have to use for photo editing then it'd be an iMac.

Let’s be honest, iMacs are far better value for money but really depends how you want to work. I personally didn’t want a desktop in the living or dining room. Being stuck upstairs is pretty unsociable with the family.

Certainly when my monitor needs replacing I’ll go for an iMac, nice to have both but depends how deep your pockets are (doesn’t seem too much of an issue with you boys here [emoji3])

Back