The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

It's only 90 seconds long...... :)
OK I've watched it but it doesn't explain why ;) :p The only explanation I can think is that it's the same phase detection issues that DSLR's are plagued with. I did think that they used phase detect to quickly focus and then finished with contrast detect to get accuracy but I'm guessing that's not the case. Maybe in order to get speed you need to sacrifice contrast detect and therefore absolute accuracy?

While we were up the hill we looked for our house and in this picture I can see it if I pixel peep at 600%, I can see our bedroom window and the solar panels on the house opposite. That's not bad for a 24mp sensor and a 35mm lens :D I suppose a 42mp sensor would be better though :D

2-DSC00077.jpg

Last edited:
The rumor site has a bit on the new Meike 50mm f1.7 FF Sony mount...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/mei...-f-1-7-full-frame-e-mount-lens/#disqus_thread

The link to Amazon UK doesn't give a price but the USA link says $130. I couldn't find any reviews or comments on build or optical quality but no doubt they'll be along and if it's well built and optically ok it might be worth a look :D I see that they do an 85mm f1.8 but sadly it's in Canon mount not Sony.

Right guys, I really want the a7III but in all honesty I can't justify that cost at the minute. I've managed to shift what I had left of my Canon gear (6D and a couple of lenses), but don't have enough to afford that and any decent lenses at the minute, so I'm considering an a7II for the minute, starting to build my lens collection then eventually buying either the III or whatever is out then.

How do people think I'll manage with the a7II compared to my 6D? I know that it doesn't have the completely silent shutter which I'm a bit gutted about, but overall the AF looks better than my Canon (and I've played about with an original A7 and found that quite nice to use for the 10 mins I got with it), but is there anything else that really lets it down?

Right guys, I really want the a7III but in all honesty I can't justify that cost at the minute. I've managed to shift what I had left of my Canon gear (6D and a couple of lenses), but don't have enough to afford that and any decent lenses at the minute, so I'm considering an a7II for the minute, starting to build my lens collection then eventually buying either the III or whatever is out then.

How do people think I'll manage with the a7II compared to my 6D? I know that it doesn't have the completely silent shutter which I'm a bit gutted about, but overall the AF looks better than my Canon (and I've played about with an original A7 and found that quite nice to use for the 10 mins I got with it), but is there anything else that really lets it down?

A7RII is rather "cheap" these days for used ones. If you can stretch that far might be worth getting that instead. If you particularly care about IBIS then A7II might be your thing otherwise just get the original A7 and save your money. IMO I think A7II is worst update Sony have released so far.

A7RII is rather "cheap" these days for used ones. If you can stretch that far might be worth getting that instead. If you particularly care about IBIS then A7II might be your thing otherwise just get the original A7 and save your money. IMO I think A7II is worst update Sony have released so far.
I saw an A7RII come up the other day at a great price but didn't have my gear sold. Obviously if I can stretch to one of them that would be ideal.

IBIS would be handy, but not a deal breaker. I'm not a massive fan of the shutter button placement on the original, but it's probably something I could live with.

I am in the opinion that you should always save up for what you really want, if that is what you want in the end. Although you can’t afford it now, just wait a little longer, have that patience and get it later on. You want to go Sony because I suspect you really want the A73, if you had the same feeling for the A72 when that came out, I suspect you would have got that when that came out and not now? I am not going to say “yeah, it’ll be fine” because the reality is that I don’t know what you shoot, if you shoot nothing but stock photos of shoes in a lightbox then it make no difference what you use in all honesty but the truth is A73 is not 1 generation but a few generation better than the A72. So much has improved between them, if you are used to the little incremental upgrades of Canon, you’ll be blown how much advance the A73 is to the 6D (as opposed between the 6D to A72 or 6D to 6D2). The only thing that is slower on the A73 is the boot up from cold, everything else is pretty fast.

My advice is save up, get the A73 when you can afford it, save for the lenses you want.

I do the same, I want the Sony Zeiss 35/1.4 Distagon, I could get the Sigma 35, I could get the 35/2.8 or the Samyang 35/1.4 but deep down I know the lens I want, I am saving up until I can afford it, until then I just go without.

Not to mention your Canon lenses on the Sony via adaptor works much better on the A73 than A72 if that is an intermediate solution you are going for until you can get the native lenses that you want.

I just remembered something which bugs me about the Sony cameras, sometimes the EVF puts me off taking photos.

I see a nice nature scene, bring the camera to my eye - and.. ugh.. it's gone to crap and I don't take the photo.

The Leica EVF, in the Q and SL are so much nicer that they encourage me to take photos.

Be nice if the quality of the Sony EVF were better.

I think perhaps Sony overcompensate with sharpness, and the colours aren't as nice.

Last edited:
I have peaking set so my evf looks nothing like reality :D

I do sort of get your point, but for me it's about seeing something I want to take a picture of and getting into the position from which I think I'll get the best perspective, composition etc and what I then see through the evf although it may be removed from reality contains information I want to see. Maybe bizarrely I'm not too bothered about the finite quality of the evf. Roll on nicer ones :D but I probably wont notice or care all that much :D

I am in the opinion that you should always save up for what you really want, if that is what you want in the end. Although you can’t afford it now, just wait a little longer, have that patience and get it later on. You want to go Sony because I suspect you really want the A73, if you had the same feeling for the A72 when that came out, I suspect you would have got that when that came out and not now? I am not going to say “yeah, it’ll be fine” because the reality is that I don’t know what you shoot, if you shoot nothing but stock photos of shoes in a lightbox then it make no difference what you use in all honesty but the truth is A73 is not 1 generation but a few generation better than the A72. So much has improved between them, if you are used to the little incremental upgrades of Canon, you’ll be blown how much advance the A73 is to the 6D (as opposed between the 6D to A72 or 6D to 6D2). The only thing that is slower on the A73 is the boot up from cold, everything else is pretty fast.

My advice is save up, get the A73 when you can afford it, save for the lenses you want.

I do the same, I want the Sony Zeiss 35/1.4 Distagon, I could get the Sigma 35, I could get the 35/2.8 or the Samyang 35/1.4 but deep down I know the lens I want, I am saving up until I can afford it, until then I just go without.

Not to mention your Canon lenses on the Sony via adaptor works much better on the A73 than A72 if that is an intermediate solution you are going for until you can get the native lenses that you want.
I can see where you're coming from but in all honesty I've had enough of my Canon and just want to move over ASAP.

Most of the features on the A7III I don't need. I mainly shoot cars which are stood still, so don't need mega FPS or insane focus etc.

I mainly want mirrorless so I can have something more compact for street photography, so it's between Sony or a Fuji. I personally would prefer Sony as I don't really want to move back to a crop sensor, but I'm not 100%

I can see where you're coming from but in all honesty I've had enough of my Canon and just want to move over ASAP.

Most of the features on the A7III I don't need. I mainly shoot cars which are stood still, so don't need mega FPS or insane focus etc.

I mainly want mirrorless so I can have something more compact for street photography, so it's between Sony or a Fuji. I personally would prefer Sony as I don't really want to move back to a crop sensor, but I'm not 100%

What lens are you thinking for street photography?

You'll be fine then.

But I will always be in the camp that save up for what you want.
I do see what you're saying, I really do.

I need the camera ASAP though, and can continue saving when I've got this. At least if I go with the A7II I'm on the Sony ladder and can sell that (even at a slight loss), but keep the lenses etc that I've acquired.

I do see what you're saying, I really do.

I need the camera ASAP though, and can continue saving when I've got this. At least if I go with the A7II I'm on the Sony ladder and can sell that (even at a slight loss), but keep the lenses etc that I've acquired.

if IBIS is not a deal breaker and you don't want to adapt canon AF lenses get the A7. its really cheap these days and you can sell it on for a good price. plus this saves you a lot of money for lenses which you'll actually keep unlike the body which you seem to have no intention of keeping.

p.s. if you still want A7II i might know someone selling their's for ~£750-ish if that's of any help...

Last edited:
for all those that pre-ordered tamron 28-75mm there is a £50 off if bought from wilkinson's camera :D

This really does not look like a camera bag at all.

gNf0P6r.jpg
You're right it doesn't, but it does look like an extremely expensive leather bag that I wouldn't dare put down...................ever!

if IBIS is not a deal breaker and you don't want to adapt canon AF lenses get the A7. its really cheap these days and you can sell it on for a good price. plus this saves you a lot of money for lenses which you'll actually keep unlike the body which you seem to have no intention of keeping.

p.s. if you still want A7II i might know someone selling their's for ~£750-ish if that's of any help...

I like my A7 and it'd be lovely for cars and stuff but I doubt I'd recommend it for anything like "street" unless going old style and doing it hyperfocal / zone as the autofocus is rather leisurely. I think that anyone looking to potentially use one for snappy street shooting should probably try one and see if they're happy with the AF before buying.

You're right it doesn't, but it does look like an extremely expensive leather bag that I wouldn't dare put down...................ever!

This is a worry... When eating out one day my leather jacket was on the back of the chair and when we got up to leave some nice person sitting behind had slashed it. Had to get the panel replaced.

Last edited:
Its a bag. It'll be fine.

I have another brown leather bag, used to use it every day to commute and the leather has aged beautifully, I wouldn't actually call it old looking, but just natural leather looking.

That was a very boring read. Interesting thing is your a73 is ff 1" ahead and mine is fine when doing a simple focus test... weird
Maybe a dodgy batch of sensors or EVF version of a focus screen with the AF points off where they should be?

Hmmm getting closer and closer to introducing one into our wedding setup over summer as a bit of a road test. Over the past few jobs I've done I've been thinking of how the A7iii would've been better in certain situations. There are a few things about the D750 I'd miss. Sony hasn't matched Nikon's lossless compressed mode - I worked out that I'll need 128gb cards at the rate I currently shoot. And the ergonomics aren't as good but I think I'll get used to it.

Anyway, thinking of pairing it with a 35mm and shooting alongside our current D750s as a replacement for my 35mm-lensed body. Is the Distagon the best 1.4 35mm on E-mount?

Hmmm getting closer and closer to introducing one into our wedding setup over summer as a bit of a road test. Over the past few jobs I've done I've been thinking of how the A7iii would've been better in certain situations. There are a few things about the D750 I'd miss. Sony hasn't matched Nikon's lossless compressed mode - I worked out that I'll need 128gb cards at the rate I currently shoot. And the ergonomics aren't as good but I think I'll get used to it.

Anyway, thinking of pairing it with a 35mm and shooting alongside our current D750s as a replacement for my 35mm-lensed body. Is the Distagon the best 1.4 35mm on E-mount?

If you get a good copy, nearly impossible. I tested it extensively against the Samyang. Zeiss better bokeh, Samyang sharper in the centre, Zeiss faster caf.

If you get a good copy, nearly impossible. I tested it extensively against the Samyang. Zeiss better bokeh, Samyang sharper in the centre, Zeiss faster caf.

Are you saying it's nearly impossible to get a good copy of the Distagon?

Maybe a dodgy batch of sensors or EVF version of a focus screen with the AF points off where they should be?
Interestingly there was a thread on a Facebook A7iii thread this morning that was discussing AF problems in particular on cameras with serial numbers starting 377..... Mine is one of those.

Interestingly there was a thread on a Facebook A7iii thread this morning that was discussing AF problems in particular on cameras with serial numbers starting 377..... Mine is one of those.
Have you contacted Sony directly so they can look into it to see if indeed there’s a dodgy batch? Mind you, they’re still quiet regarding the stripes so maybe denial is their policy ;)

Have you contacted Sony directly so they can look into it to see if indeed there’s a dodgy batch? Mind you, they’re still quiet regarding the stripes so maybe denial is their policy ;)
Not yet. Funnily enough, affected owners were being urged to contact Sony to document and report their issues.

I will see where I'm at with it tomorrow...

Not yet. Funnily enough, affected owners were being urged to contact Sony to document and report their issues.

I will see where I'm at with it tomorrow...
If they do decide to replace yours maybe ask them what the serial number is of the new one prior to sending it?

Question, does it matter if I set my A73 to PAL or NTSC? I notice you get a LOT more video recording bitrate modes in NTSC over PAL.

You do realise that when the rumour gets round that models with serial numbers 377etc have a fault their second hand value will go through the floor!
It's happened before with other makes.

Last edited:
Back