The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Because people will pay them..

Exactly.. and lets be fair £3300 for an A7riii when the D850 is £3500 is a bit of a bargain, certainly a far cry from when Sony camera’s were way more expensive than the competition.

You realise most will still do free delivery, you just have to wait a couple of days?...

i know, by cancelling Amazon prime I'm trying to break that need for 'right now' :) I even can get 1 hour delivery where I live.

Also I haven't preordered some 4k UHDs now because they are £19.99 and would incur delivery charge if dispatched separately.

I have the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 :D and it's been on my camera since I got it but a compact wide aperture 35mm with AF would be nice too.

When I'm out by myself or Mrs Woof Woof or just close family MF is usually ok but at other times I want to be a bit quicker than MF allows and not so much the geek with the camera holding everyone up.

I understand where you're coming from, and as was pointed out immediately the Loxia are not autofocus whatever their other qualities. But these days I'm tending to positively choose 50mm or longer for any people photography, just because of my ever diminishing tolerance of facial distortion (if our TV's don't switch format I immediately reach for a remote).
For exactly the reason you wrote, I need an autofocus 50/55mm. Won't improve my results, just neeeeeeeeeeed

Last edited:
Ok, home now and I only have a few minutes before I have to leave again.

First proper impression of the A73 after shooting a wedding. I went nuts with this camera, I think I shot 50% (or more) on this with the 50 Zeiss than I ever did with this focal length for like ever. Partly because the rooms and spaces I was in lean itself to suit this focal length and partly because I was finding the focusing absolutely incredible. I am still importing photos at the moment which will take a while but I want to talk about the colours. These are straight out of the camera, natural light and all I did was transferred them to my phone through the Playmemories app, I shot RAW only so something must have done the conversion but colours look great, skin colours look good.

I came away wanting another body and the 35/1.4 so I can shoot dual A73….the focus tracking on this is incredible, I was on a double decker bus and shooting people looking at the bus as we went past them at 30mph, I had more hits than miss even in that situation which was insane. Eye focus did fall apart at night though when the light was low but face detection still worked.

4czjiPy.jpg

wLoiZ8j.jpg

HOZuhD7.jpg

Lovely shots Ray

Oh, I forgot to add, silent shutter, TRUE silent shutter…a dream, people had no idea what I was doing, during the ceremony I shot with both Sony and Canon and the true silent shooting is really apparent. I could go crazy and machine gun it and it doesn't really matter ! And because no one is moving, rolling shutter is not a problem.

You realise most will still do free delivery, you just have to wait a couple of days?...

that too much, waiting one day is hard enough :D

on serious note, the one day delivery is only part of the prime package. Their unlimited photo storage for RAW files is what seals the deal for me. If it was just next day delivery I wouldn't pay for it.
Also more than 50% of the time amazon delivers stuff next day anyway even without prime :p

so phones, I want a new android phone, Nokia 7 plus, Nokia 8, P20 lite, Honor View 10, Mi Mix 2, that kind of thing, you're all geeks like me..... ? £300ish is the budget... I dont need an S9... dont play games and have a proper camera.

Oh, I forgot to add, silent shutter, TRUE silent shutter…a dream, people had no idea what I was doing, during the ceremony I shot with both Sony and Canon and the true silent shooting is really apparent. I could go crazy and machine gun it and it doesn't really matter ! And because no one is moving, rolling shutter is not a problem.

How do you get on using the Canon and Sony at the same time? I’m still trying to decide but if I could offload the D610 it makes things a bit easier to decide.

One more thing, people have commented how good this new Z battery is, I did 12 hrs, the camera may have been switched off totally for 20mins total during that (between driving between venues and eating) and I ran one totally flat and the 2nd to 18%. I still had a 3rd.

I shot over 5,000 photos on it in the 12hrs. That real world figure is much higher than Sony’s.

How do you get on using the Canon and Sony at the same time? I’m still trying to decide but if I could offload the D610 it makes things a bit easier to decide.

Not sure why you would need a D610, the A73 is FAR superior mate.

One more thing, people have commented how good this new Z battery is, I did 12 hrs, the camera may have been switched off totally for 20mins total during that (between driving between venues and eating) and I ran one totally flat and the 2nd to 18%. I still had a 3rd.

I shot over 5,000 photos on it in the 12hrs. That real world figure is much higher than Sony’s.

Stop it. I sold my mk2 because we didn’t gel...

must. NOT Get a Mk3....

There are a few quirks in both. The Sony I had trouble shooting through railings using spot, the spot wasn’t small enough. I have no way to move the spot focus point fast enough up and down. Also the square for spot is grey and it’s hard to tell where it is at times but....the Canon don’t have eye af.

I find myself chimping with the Canon, I hardly needed to in the Sony, not with using eye af. The Sony did miss shots but it was not that many, the camera made me look good.

With the Sony if it misses focus it feels like it’s my faul.

With the Canon if it misses focus it feels like it’s the camera’s fault and I question why it misses focus 3/5 shots when I haven’t moved or subject hasn’t moved, shutter speed high enough etc.

Stop it. I sold my mk2 because we didn’t gel...

must. NOT Get a Mk3....

Never tried a mk2 because it doesn’t have dual cards but the mk3 is a fantastic camera, the tech inside makes it so easy. I showed a guest how to use eye af, gave her the camera and she could get sharp pictures.

Never tried a mk2 because it doesn’t have dual cards but the mk3 is a fantastic camera, the tech inside makes it so easy. I showed a guest how to use eye af, gave her the camera and she could get sharp pictures.

The Mk2 was barely an upgrade from the Mk1, the Mk3 is in a completely different league... in every way.

Bugger...

I did the photo walk with @dancook For a whole day and took thousands of shots too before my battery almost died(i forgot to bring a spare battery)

Ok, home now and I only have a few minutes before I have to leave again.

First proper impression of the A73 after shooting a wedding. I went nuts with this camera, I think I shot 50% (or more) on this with the 50 Zeiss than I ever did with this focal length for like ever. Partly because the rooms and spaces I was in lean itself to suit this focal length and partly because I was finding the focusing absolutely incredible. I am still importing photos at the moment which will take a while but I want to talk about the colours. These are straight out of the camera, natural light and all I did was transferred them to my phone through the Playmemories app, I shot RAW only so something must have done the conversion but colours look great, skin colours look good.

Great photos. Looks like I neeeeeeed a 50/f1.4...
and an R3

Is this actually a problem as I’ve seen a lot of vids of Sony’s with OCF and they seem to achieve what he wants.

You can work around it but I agree with him, what's the point of having a setting to control how the EVF/rear display acts only to have adding a speedlight or trigger overriding it? It makes no sense.

Just a couple of minor tweaks to fix these things...

Become a member of the Sony alpha page to see it.its worth seeing.

Basically there's a bloke who has tons of access to gear at his disposal and he shoots both Sony and canon and does wildlife.

To cut a long story short he has 400 500 and now 600mm canon prime lenses and his been testing them all out on the A9 and the results are astounding.

The link above blows it out the park as he attached a Sony tc to his 400mm DO lens and it worked! What the f***!
The page you requested cannot be displayed at the moment. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may be broken or expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

Last edited:
Become a member of the Sony alpha page to see it.its worth seeing.

Basically there's a bloke who makes @dancook look like a bargain basement bloke who has tons of access to gear at his disposal and he shoots both Sony and canon and does wildlife.

To cut a long story short he has 400 500 and now 600mm canon prime lenses and his been testing them all out on the A9 and the results are astounding.

The link above blows it out the park as he attached a Sony tc to his 400mm DO lens and it worked! What the f***!

I don't appreciate the comparison.

Back