The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

How do Nikon owner cope with everything reversed lenses? It's driving me potty.

I had Nikon years ago but I must have completely got used to doing things the way Nikon doesn't.

Other than being driven potty I'm loving these old pre Ai lenses.

How do Nikon owner cope with everything reversed lenses? It's driving me potty.

I had Nikon years ago but I must have completely got used to doing things the way Nikon doesn't.

Other than being driven potty I'm loving these old pre Ai lenses.

You mean putting the lens on anti clockwise? Contrary to everything else in the world, ever?

The aperture ring and focus rings are opposite to everything else in the world ever too.

This must have been second nature to me once. My Nikon SLR was my first interchangeable lens camera, I don't remember being this phased when I switched to Canon. I must be getting old.

Last edited:
Wonder how Tamron lenses can be updated via the camera and Samyang lenses can't. Strange.

I hope this is the case with the Sigma Arts too if they ever need updates etc

Remember.... Sony actually own a stake in Tamron around 12% of the business, so they're closer to Tamron than they are Samyang or Sigma.

Stop it.

You know I struggle to resist 35mm's.

7lOCdo9.jpg

This 35 CZ sure does focus lighting fast, I.N.S.T.A.N.T.

I can only imagine, distinct lack of images for us to drool over though!

I've been pleasantly surprised by the adapted lens performance, I just had to try it myself after looking at so many conflicting reports\videos etc. It's not lightning fast by any means, but so far it looks to be more than usable. Low light is definitely the achilles heel, but in good light it even tracks pretty well at 10fps if needed. Lots more testing to do yet, but I'm more tempted to change over to Sony rather than wait to see what Canon do. I really love my Fujis, but I don't think they'll be around much longer :( All depends on if I can get over the handling though, I've ordered an L bracket to see if that helps enough.

I have to eat humble pie over the eye AF as well, I'd pretty much dismissed it as gimic\crutch etc. but I can see why everyone raves about it now. It is so different to the Fuji implementation it's not funny! The main difference is just activating by a button (that caught me out when trying to find the setting for it in the menus....) I think even the Fuji implementation would be much more useful if it could be used like that.

I can only imagine, distinct lack of images for us to drool over though!

I've been pleasantly surprised by the adapted lens performance, I just had to try it myself after looking at so many conflicting reports\videos etc. It's not lightning fast by any means, but so far it looks to be more than usable. Low light is definitely the achilles heel, but in good light it even tracks pretty well at 10fps if needed. Lots more testing to do yet, but I'm more tempted to change over to Sony rather than wait to see what Canon do. I really love my Fujis, but I don't think they'll be around much longer :( All depends on if I can get over the handling though, I've ordered an L bracket to see if that helps enough.

I have to eat humble pie over the eye AF as well, I'd pretty much dismissed it as gimic\crutch etc. but I can see why everyone raves about it now. It is so different to the Fuji implementation it's not funny! The main difference is just activating by a button (that caught me out when trying to find the setting for it in the menus....) I think even the Fuji implementation would be much more useful if it could be used like that.

I will compare to my adapted Canon for speed and also IQ when I get a chance and the eye AF is not a gimmick, certainly not. People who think "oh, I can just spot focus on that"….sure you can, so can I but by the time you move the focus point and compose, I could have just press eye AF and shot about 20 frames off (if I wanted). Also the tracking in AF-C, you just hold down the Eye AF and compose it knowing it will be focus on the eye all the way.

It's a different way of shooting, a easier way of shooting, dare I say it, a better way of shooting.

I will compare to my adapted Canon for speed and also IQ when I get a chance and the eye AF is not a gimmick, certainly not. People who think "oh, I can just spot focus on that"….sure you can, so can I but by the time you move the focus point and compose, I could have just press eye AF and shot about 20 frames off (if I wanted). Also the tracking in AF-C, you just hold down the Eye AF and compose it knowing it will be focus on the eye all the way.

It's a different way of shooting, a easier way of shooting, dare I say it, a better way of shooting.

Like yourself, I tend to have the AF point where I want it before I bring the camera to my eye. So I am pretty happy using a camera that way, but the eye AF does change how you use the camera completely. So far it seems to me that is just pretty much works as well (I've had some misses, but nowhere near what I'd expect from a DSLR) so it's definitely not just a pretty green box. I haven't used it in situations with multiple faces in frame yet, but for single subjects it is pretty damn awesome.

Fuji face\eye detection would've given up with a profile shot, leaving you having to change to another focus mode to get the shot. Sony hangs on in there, and I've been pleasantly surprised by that.

Jennie
by JJ, on Flickr

Ah yes, it does Eye-Af side on, which I was really surprised about. Their algorithm is something else.

RFXYS1z.jpg

Last edited:
Plus it'll only apply to lenses that are available in e mount already so pointless imo.

Exactly, say your moving over from Canon you'd still be cheaper just selling the glass and picking up new FE mount ones (or just buying an MC-11 depending on your AF needs).

Bought an A7ii from camera jungle this week as a backup for my r iii. "Excellent" condition - arrives, looks great, only 10k shutter. Turn it on and on the top right corner of the screen there is a faint green and blue mark to the LCD - really its only visible when its on a really dark screen, but im a bit annoyed as I dont class that as excellent. Paid £620 for it. What do you guys think - return or just deal?

picture here

Last edited:
Bought an A7ii from camera jungle this week as a backup for my r iii. "Excellent" condition - arrives, looks great, only 10k shutter. Turn it on and on the top right corner of the screen there is a faint green and blue mark to the LCD - really its only visible when its on a really dark screen, but im a bit annoyed as I dont class that as excellent. Paid £620 for it. What do you guys think - return or just deal?

picture here

Good price but if it annoys you return it.

picture here

I'd return pal

picture here
Might be dead or hot pixel that needs remapping. Recently had one on my r3 and it went away on its own. Try setting the date and time to something in the future

picture here
If you can live with it, maybe contact them and see if you can settle on a reduced price, as it’s not the excellent condition they said, they might take it over the return

If you can live with it, maybe contact them and see if you can settle on a reduced price, as it’s not the excellent condition they said, they might take it over the return
I've given them a ring, they said they couldnt offer any money back but could offer a repair (up to a month) or return ... thinking return at the moment. It does look worse in the photo than it actually is though

Update re front focussing Sony 85mm f1.8 lens....

Lens now checked and confirmed to be front focussing. Will be getting a new replacement lens when they come back in stock.
Interesting do they know what was causing it to front focus? Was considering one as my next purchase, but not looked to much in to any issues with it.

Back