The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

both cameras not available for nearly another year (or two years for people like me who don't normally buy things as soon as they are out)

saw that this morning. Didn't really make me jump out my seat...
but then we don't know much tbh.

A better AF system and cheap lenses might just make me switch. But I am not hopeful on either front after using MK3 version of Sonys

The mk3 Sony is now a mature camera. Also, it also has all the lenses we could need now (mostly). Id be surprised if Canon will compete against Sony with DP technology, Nikon may have struck a deal with Sony to use their sensors, hopefully Sony hasn't shot themselves in the foot by giving them their latest AF/sensor tech.

The mk3 Sony is now a mature camera. Also, it also has all the lenses we could need now (mostly). Id be surprised if Canon will compete against Sony with DP technology, Nikon may have struck a deal with Sony to use their sensors, hopefully Sony hasn't shot themselves in the foot by giving them their latest AF/sensor tech.

As far as I understand Sony doesn't sell the AF tech to others. That is something each manufactures have to develop themselves and add on top of the sony's bare sensor tech. Eg: Fuji and Oly (both have OSPDAF but nothing like Sonys implementation)

Yeah all the lenses but a good QC'd 35mm f1.4 or 35mm f1.8 :p
one of the most popular fast primes and they manage to somehow screw it up :mad:

Last edited:
As far as I understand Sony doesn't sell the AF tech to others. That is something each manufactures have to develop themselves and add on top of the sony's bare sensor tech. Eg: Fuji and Oly (both have OSPDAF but nothing like Sonys implementation)

one of the most popular fast primes and they manage to somehow screw it up :mad:

I really hope so, but this time its different, the AF is on the sensor which is what they are buying in, Nikon wasn't interested in Sonys on sensor AF tech but they are now playing catch up big time.

Ha ha, yeah, a good QC 35mm 1.4 would be nice, my Sigma 35 should be here next week, will let you know. Ive had a rethink, again.

Canon has dual pixel AF which is great for video, and I suspect it'll translate fine to AF-C for stills.

They have their own Eye-AF in the new M50 I believe but it's half baked….I don't expect their first camera to have anything like the A7III but the potential is there to have something competitive.

It would be nice to be able to use native EF lenses……fingers crossed.

Canon has dual pixel AF which is great for video, and I suspect it'll translate fine to AF-C for stills.

They have their own Eye-AF in the new M50 I believe but it's half baked….I don't expect their first camera to have anything like the A7III but the potential is there to have something competitive.

Its decent for video but its not as good as Sonys tech for stills and Im sure Canon will cripple it like they usually do. 2x 4k crop, 60% AF frame etc. all for about 4k.

Canon definitely has the upper hand over Nikon though.

I really hope so, but this time its different, the AF is on the sensor which is what they are buying in, Nikon wasn't interested in Sonys on sensor AF tech but they are now playing catch up big time.

Ha ha, yeah, a good QC 35mm 1.4 would be nice, my Sigma 35 should be here next week, will let you know. Ive had a rethink, again.

They are indeed playing catch up on 3 generations of development. Canon has be more shrewdly developing the DPAF which is rather decent. but DPAF has its own challenges (and I am half expecting it in the A7SIII since sony patented a version of it not long ago).

You mind seems more fickle than mine lol.
Awaiting you findings on the ART. I am hearing mixed opinions or rather 'marmite like' opinions lol - Its either awesome and works smoothly or its jerky and doesn't AF well!

DPAF seems to come at the cost of dynamic range and ISO performance. This is more of a challenge on a mirrorless body whose sensor is always on hence generates more heat and thus more noise. If you look 80D has higher dynamic range than the eos-m5 despite reportedly having the same sensor.

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Canon EOS 80D,Canon EOS M5
https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Canon-EOS-M5-versus-Canon-EOS-80D___1113_1076

The M50 eye-AF is rubbish. Well it competes nicely with Sony A6000 which is like 4 years old now?
The sensor still doesn't compete with A6000 but that's a different story :p

Last edited:
DPAF seems to come at the cost of dynamic range and ISO performance. This is more of a challenge on a mirrorless body whose sensor is always on hence generates more heat and thus more noise. If you look 80D has higher dynamic range than the eos-m5 despite reportedly having the same sensor.

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Canon EOS 80D,Canon EOS M5
https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Canon-EOS-M5-versus-Canon-EOS-80D___1113_1076

The M50 eye-AF is rubbish. Well it competes nicely with Sony A6000 which is like 4 years old now?
The sensor still doesn't compete with A6000 but that's a different story :p

Thus half baked.

What do you think will look the best?
It’s going to be for my home cinema :D

Sorry bud, hadn't been back on the thread. I think a vinyl on black acrylic would look best as the infilled paint can be rough around the edges in places due to the engraving. If you send me an idea of dimension I can get a price from the guy who owns the lasers that I use.

Yeah it's the EF lens support that will swing it for me. Eye AF I'm not to bothered about, it's a nice to have and doesn't work in every situation so I tend to use selected small spot (or whatever it is called) a lot more now. Edit: although if Canon has poor EVF blackout I'll be less than impressed...

Last edited:
Yeah it's the EF lens support that will swing it for me. Eye AF I'm not to bothered about, it's a nice to have and doesn't work in every situation so I tend to use selected small spot (or whatever it is called) a lot more now. Edit: although if Canon has poor EVF blackout I'll be less than impressed...

There is no way the canon will have no blackout. Sony is miles ahead of them in sensor design.... Miles.

The spec and how both (but particularly Canon) compare to the Sony is irrelevant, Canon sell cameras because of the name and/or because people are invested in the system. The M range was a dog at the start but still became one of the biggest selling mirrorless ranges.

Sorry bud, hadn't been back on the thread. I think a vinyl on black acrylic would look best as the infilled paint can be rough around the edges in places due to the engraving. If you send me an idea of dimension I can get a price from the guy who owns the lasers that I use.
Excellent dude, I will drop you a PM when I have a spare mo with some spec's. :D

Just updated the tamron lens. Update looks exactly same as any other sony lens which kinda tells me they have paid and licensed some stuff from Sony.

Anyway one thing the tamron website does not tell you and you will need it if you are running latest mac OSX is the 'DriverLoader_1013'. It can be found here - https://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/mac/driver/1013/en/index.html
Follow instructions on Sony website for the driver loader part and then instructions on the Tamron website for the updating lens part.

I don't understand why updating needs to be such a chore. Wouldn't it just be easier to copy a file on to a SD card and load it into the camera. The camera can then do its business instead of following a million steps from multiple websites!! :banghead::banghead:

Last edited:
Not by me. ;)

Tbh, I rarely pick up the legacy glass I have and shoot with it. I really ought to, though, there’s some cracking looking shots you get, which you just can’t recreate with modern glass.

Just updated the tamron lens. Update looks exactly same as any other sony lens which kinda tells me they have paid and licensed some stuff from Sony.

Anyway one thing the tamron website does not tell you and you will need it if you are running latest mac OSX is the 'DriverLoader_1013'. It can be found here - https://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/mac/driver/1013/en/index.html
Follow instructions on Sony website for the driver loader part and then instructions on the Tamron website for the updating lens part.

I don't understand why updating needs to be such a chore. Wouldn't it just be easier to copy a file on to a SD card and load it into the camera. The camera can then do its business instead of following a million steps from multiple websites!! :banghead::banghead:

Updated mine aswell there pal

Seems like a nice lens too! Originally purchased solely for video but could see me using it out and about with the family

Updated mine aswell there pal

Seems like a nice lens too! Originally purchased solely for video but could see me using it out and about with the family
Yeah mainly bought it for family and video use myself. It's so silent and fast makes it really easy to photograph my toddler son. He has very acute hearing even the faintest AF sound or sound of shutter will grab his attention. Then he simply starts chasing me till he can get hold of the camera :D

The A7RIII definitely has better noise pattern than the MK2 which is easier to deal with and retain more details.

It's a wonderful lens for anyone who likes shooting that focal length

Its a pretty decent FL, I think I wrote this lens off prematurely, its a nice little performer on the A7iii, the A7mk1 definitely clouded my judgement. Crazy how a camera can spoil a lens for me. Its sharp, very fast and tiny in comparison to the usual beasts I use.

Last edited:
Its a pretty decent FL, I think I wrote this lens off prematurely, its a nice little performer on the A7iii, the A7mk1 definitely clouded my judgement. Crazy how a camera can spoil a lens for me. Its sharp, very fast and tiny in comparison to the usual beasts I use.
Indeed, IMO I'd get this over the sigma ART anyday

3Q7ZQmX.jpg

8zq4K2O.png

Back