The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

:D yes I would but i'm taking a break today.. :D I still got... 6+ weeks worth of redundancy notice period

‘‘Twas only mentioning incase you hadn’t noticed.

I thought you were already doing photography FT. Is that not the case..?

Last edited:
‘‘Twas only mentioning invade you hadn’t noticed.

I thought you were already doing photography FT. Is that not the case..?

I was waiting until Saturday's wedding was finished to get the images to populate it and decided what to do with it.

FT starts.. well nowish :) only been part time before.. good job i bought all my gear already :D

@dancook swap the rear curtain sync to front curtain, allows you to grab the moment as you would and add the light effects after. Easier to capture those dance floor antics.

Ah right, I hadn't given much thought to it - is there much else difference in how it's presented - will need to look into it. thanks

When we got married we desperately wanted a wedding album and got quite a fancy one (for the time), even getting smaller copies for the family. How many times have I, or family members looked at those albums? Once, maybe twice. For me it's been a total waste of money, I only ever look at the images digitally. I think albums are just one of those things we're 'trained' to think we want/need but in reality don't. I think if you can find a way of tactfully portraying this to customers you'll be golden with digital only format, well maybe 99% digital with a print or two of their favourite image.

got married just under two years ago and we got an album. Nothing fancy and we just got the one but a physical one none the less. Its got used a fair amount so far and gets borrowed by my parents and in-laws too. I have personally only looked at it once but my wife has been through it a few times. I imagine down the road it'll probably be something I'll look at fondly again and again albeit once a decade :D (like my parents do with their wedding album). Think it was worth the money for me anyway.

I agree. We only shoot a handful of weddings each year but have never been asked for anything other than Digital’s.

perhaps i am outdated :D
don't think I would splurge out for a fancy expensive one but I like the one the I have :)

That's 200 quid down the drain! Find those batteries!
Only the delayed responsiveness of the aperture dial after taking a photo, doesn't work for about a whole second.. but otherwise worked fine

I'm just realising now i might have lost two batteries :( damnit

How many did you get through on that wedding day?

I had 4 batteries, I might have scraped the entire day on the full charge of 4 batteries but i put the first set onto charge when I reached about 20-30% charge average across them both.

Then once the second set were down to about the same, put in the newly charged ones.

Ideally I'd want 6 to feel comfortable for a long wedding day if I had no access to power outlets.

I was shooting from about 9:45am - 10pm

I had 4 batteries, I might have scraped the entire day on the full charge of 4 batteries but i put the first set onto charge when I reached about 20-30% charge average across them both.

Then once the second set were down to about the same, put in the newly charged ones.

Ideally I'd want 6 to feel comfortable for a long wedding day if I had no access to power outlets.

I was shooting from about 9:45am - 10pm

So battery life still isn't as good as DSLR but much more manageable that on older mirrorless.

So battery life still isn't as good as DSLR but much more manageable that on older mirrorless.
Depends on the DSLR ;)

If doing it full time professionally you'd probably have two bodies with 2 spare batteries for each at least.

Last edited:
Wedding albums is the only reason I don't do weddings lol. I don't have the time and patience to prepare one and deliver it customised to someone's requirements. Seems like a lot of work and faff. If you can make it work with only digital I may join you :D

I think you’re missing a trick. They’re not too bad and some places can offer the design aspect too. Worth looking into as it can add valuable extra to your income.

I did our own album on the Jessops site. I was quite impressed with it when it came. I can see how someone doing weddings for a living could think it was a faff though.

9 batteries for me, don't think I've got through more than 5 in a full wedding 11 hour day though, and that's with a bit of a safety barrier of changing out at 20% or so. I find a battery good for 600 shots fairly comfortably (a7RII), up to 1000 if shooting motorsport where there is more consistent and constant shooting.

At single venue weddings you could easily charge through the day too, in fact that can be kinda crucial if shooting two days back to back.

I like them and there's certainly a sense of speed but you could argue that in a couple the cars are a little blurred and in the first picture if one car was sharp and the other blurred (I assume they're going at different speeds as there seems to be differing blur between the two) it'd be an even better picture.

quality thanks! Yes its difficult to get cars pin sharp when adding blur/movement. i saw someone who does panning shots of f1 cars and none of them are pin sharp yet his composition is amazing and got me thinking that sense of speed is important then pin sharp cars

Damn must have overheated and throttled hard when viewing Dan's amazing shots. Your laptop can't take greatness displayed on that screen
Well we all know your perception of sharpness :p

Joking aside TP has always played up for me. I went through a period where it would oversharpen all my images hosted from Flickr, now it softens them slightly, as it has with Dan’s. Viewed on Dan’s site they’re fine, which is why I know it’s a TP/browder setting issue (y)

quality thanks! Yes its difficult to get cars pin sharp when adding blur/movement. i saw someone who does panning shots of f1 cars and none of them are pin sharp yet his composition is amazing and got me thinking that sense of speed is important then pin sharp cars
1/45 is a tough ask with F1, although that being said Ive seen some cracking shots at 1/25 and 1/15 (of course focal length will also play a part). I agree slow shutter shots don’t need to be, and are very very rarely pin sharp, but there’s a difference between blurry and not quite being pin sharp (y)

Yup. I think so.

got me thinking that sense of speed is important then pin sharp cars
Can't you do more of both like #4! ;)

Panning does take a lot of practice, and also experimenting with shutter speeds to see the best combination of sharp and blurry, and then that varies with subject and how good you get at it. ;) Last time I did it with Superbikes I had aches in muscles I didn't know I had. :LOL:

I was racking the zoom back and forth on the 16-35mm whilst rotating the camera side to side :D it was all a bit pot luck anyway

Some awesome shots, good luck with the career change.

Just out of interest, with the shutter drag shots how did iou have it set up, I assume on camera flash then what’s the shutter speed around a second? And aperture/iso. Will be cool to Jane a play arround with

Some awesome shots, good luck with the career change.

Just out of interest, with the shutter drag shots how did iou have it set up, I assume on camera flash then what’s the shutter speed around a second? And aperture/iso. Will be cool to Jane a play arround with

Direct flash maybe 1/32

1/8th, f9ish, iso 3200.

Just have a play :) I went manual focus

Back