The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

awsome thanks for the comments! i will try and see if i can get them more sharper next time! I think im getting the hang of it now though
I would start higher making sure you get sharp shots, then gradually work your way to slower shutter speeds. I struggle to get below 1/50 with the 70-200mm f2.8 though, which is a similar weight to the 100-400mm, I don't know how these folk do it with the 500 and 600mm primes :eek: I've been tempted to get the new Nikon 70-300mm for motorsport as it's super light and for this kind of shot outright IQ isn't important.

I would start higher making sure you get sharp shots, then gradually work your way to slower shutter speeds. I struggle to get below 1/50 with the 70-200mm f2.8 though, which is a similar weight to the 100-400mm, I don't know how these folk do it with the 500 and 600mm primes :eek: I've been tempted to get the new Nikon 70-300mm for motorsport as it's super light and for this kind of shot outright IQ isn't important.

Probably by using a tripod?

Probably, with gimbal head. although I have seen some just using a monopod but I just can't get on with them.

I don't get along with monopods either but people who use them tell me it gets a lot better with practice and experience.
I suppose I never had the patience for it.

Bristol cameras, cheapest place I found for batteries and I got a free disposable camera

37911799_10160948655815227_741186431870828544_o.jpg

CVP will match Bristol camera's price if you ask and will also do free delivery for orders over £100 which is nice if you are ordering 2 or more of these batteries. Bristol camera on the other hand increases your delivery charge with increase in order price :p

So the a7 and 28 arrived and after reading on here I expected it to be a dog of a camera. But in AFS with the 28 the focussing is fast and accurate. Sure the menus will take a bit to get used to and the AFC isn’t as good as the D750 but for our trip I think it’ll be an awesome little setup.

Was impressed enough to buy an 85mm :banana:

So the a7 and 28 arrived and after reading on here I expected it to be a dog of a camera. But in AFS with the 28 the focussing is fast and accurate. Sure the menus will take a bit to get used to and the AFC isn’t as good as the D750 but for our trip I think it’ll be an awesome little setup.

Was impressed enough to buy an 85mm :banana:

It's a brilliant little camera if you don't need to shoot fast action.

Last edited:
One of the most oppressive experiences of heat I’ve experienced in 68years period. Worse than 76

Mrs WW said yesterday that it was uncomfortably hot and humid and more so than Thailand :D and this is someone who kept her fleece on in the tropical dome at the Eden Centre :D Personally I think Thailand is worse as there's no relief from the humidity there but central Kazakhstan is the hottest I've experienced.

PS.
It's warm and humid here but we've just had a big thunder storm.

Last edited:
Buy a cheap old vintage tele prime with an adapter.

Yeah, the FD 300/5.6 I just got would be ideal - or similar. Because nobody ever designed a terrible 300 prime it's sharp right off the bat, and with perfectly useable high ISOs of the Sony sensor I personally love the light weight and don't miss the extra stop or two of light gathering at all.

I'd happily use even an ISO 20,000 shot after passing it through DXO prime, and my 300/5.6 was £100 (I shopped around for the best one I could find, that price is for near-mint).

Yeah, the FD 300/5.6 I just got would be ideal - or similar. Because nobody ever designed a terrible 300 prime it's sharp right off the bat, and with perfectly useable high ISOs of the Sony sensor I personally love the light weight and don't miss the extra stop or two of light gathering at all.

I'd happily use even an ISO 20,000 shot after passing it through DXO prime, and my 300/5.6 was £100 (I shopped around for the best one I could find, that price is for near-mint).

my EF 100-300mm was £10 :D

Buy the A7III with kit lens from amazon, sell the kit lens and you have the camera for under 1800. UK stock at Grey price :)

Back