The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

It depends on what it offers, many people I've spoken to with the A7III say it's an amazing camera but would have happily paid a bit more for a better EVF etc.

Personally I'm looking for D850 equivalent which I'm not going to get for £2K so not that price bracket isn't really of interest to me.

Then they should've bought the A7r3.

Have they?

A7 - 2013
A7ii - 2014
A7iii - 2018

A7r - 2013
A7rii - 2015
A7riii - 2018

A7s - 2014
A7sii - 2015
A7siii - ???

See the pattern? Those days are over.
Did you not see my winky face ;)

Then they should've bought the A7r3.

That's exactly what I would have done, but (up to now) the A7R3 was £1200 more so they were think a couple of hundred £'s more not £1K+

How much better is the EVF on the A7R3?

That's exactly what I would have done, but (up to now) the A7R3 was £1200 more so they were think a couple of hundred £'s more not £1K+

How much better is the EVF on the A7R3?

Dunno mate, A7iii EVF is good enough for me, Id rather have the saving and other bits it offers.

What’s missing in the A73 compare to the other 2 don’t affect how the photos are taken or it’s quality. I wouldn’t want or need the pixels and rather save that £1700...which can almost get you another A73.

What’s missing in the A73 compare to the other 2 don’t affect how the photos are taken or it’s quality. I wouldn’t want or need the pixels and rather save that £1700...which can almost get you another A73.

i think blackout free viewfinder of A9 and its AF system will certainly help in getting more in-focus shots.

pixelshift feature of A7RIII will also result in more detailed higher quality pictures in some cases.

i think blackout free viewfinder of A9 and its AF system will certainly help in getting more in-focus shots.

pixelshift feature of A7RIII will also result in more detailed higher quality pictures in some cases.

How will blackout free VF get more shots? FPS and slightly more advanced AF perhaps, means 2x as much filtering of crap, 10fps is bad enough watching each open and close of the eye lid yawn.... for £2600 more you've got to be mad.

A7r3 sure, if you're into landscape and want the pixels, definitely, Id rather buy more lenses than crop into a scene.

Of course everyone elses MMV and thats why Sonys done well in releasing each cam.

How will blackout free VF get more shots? FPS and slightly more advanced AF perhaps, means 2x as much filtering of crap, 10fps is bad enough watching each open and close of the eye lid yawn.... for £2600 more you've got to be mad.

A7r3 sure, if you're into landscape and want the pixels, definitely, Id rather buy more lenses than crop into a scene.

Of course everyone elses MMV and thats why Sonys done well in releasing each cam.
Lack of blackout makes it easier to keep your subject within the frame while tracking.
I like my 10fps mechanical shutter too but I can imagine 20fps being useful in some high action scenarios.

Sure, buy an APSC, then you won't need to if you intend to always crop into a FF image.

Well the point is having one body with option of cropping while retaining resolution, not lugging around a second body for when you want to shoot crop.

Lack of blackout makes it easier to keep your subject within the frame while tracking.
I like my 10fps mechanical shutter too but I can imagine 20fps being useful in some high action scenarios.

Well the point is having one body with option of cropping while retaining resolution, not lugging around a second body for when you want to shoot crop.

How is a lack of black out makes it easier to keep it within the frame? I mean….I think I know what you are getting at but for that to happen in the real world the subject would really have to suddenly go from 0 to 100mph for you to miss the framing. The black out on cameras, any cameras….are never long enough for the subject to be in the frame 1 shot and then not the very next shot, ever.

In a real world scenario I can't even seeing that to be a problem, it's something that is nice to have, but not something that makes my pictures better or even allow me to get the shots easier.

And if something is moving that fast, you are going to miss it no matter what.

Last edited:

Well the point is having one body with option of cropping while retaining resolution, not lugging around two bodies for when you want to shoot crop and when you want FF

But 5fps with flash is meh, also. For me 20fps for people is to much.

If you want to crop drop into the sensor then thats great.

But 5fps with flash is meh, also. For me 20fps for people is to much.

If you want to crop drop into the sensor then thats great.
Agreed don't like the 5fps mechanical shutter. Not even sure why they couldn't have made it 10fps like A7(R)III.

How is a lack of black out makes it easier to keep it within the frame? I mean….I think I know what you are getting at but for that to happen in the real world the subject would really have to suddenly go from 0 to 100mph for you to miss the framing. The black out on cameras, any cameras….are never long enough for the subject to be in the frame 1 shot and then not the very next shot, ever.

In a real world scenario I can't even seeing that to be a problem, it's something that is nice to have, but not something that makes my pictures better or even allow me to get the shots easier.

And if something is moving that fast, you are going to miss it no matter what.

I think it could definitely help. I have never really used it much to say how helpful it is in real world. I have made do so far without it and it hasn't been a massive issue. But feels like something that could help a fair bit. But I am speculating at this point and so would you be unless you have properly used it. So at this point it's simply your speculation vs. mine :D

To be fair she's probably seen more new cameras and lenses than the rest of us put together! lol ;)

Fair point.
Quite funny that after a shot sometimes she’ll run to me and ask to look into the evf to review the shot. Fortunately she’s easily pleased!!

It does for us enthusiasts, but the question is will it? TBH even if it's half decent I think Nikon fanboys will buy it. The Canon M systems still sells and that's not been great performance wise.
Hey you leave my M100 alone,it's my fav camera no recalls so far ;)

thanks guys that reminds me I too got a plate with my peakdesign slide. I should go check it out first before buying anything. :facepalm:

Well well.

I too have the newer plastic one, but I kept this one one cause I prefer it - and it’s all metal.

Yeah I also have the old original metal one. Got my slide when it first came out :)

Make sure you go on the PD website and request a bunch of (free) anchor replacements. Turns out their most recent anchors have a manufacturing fault. I ordered like 15 new ones or something. [emoji1]

Make sure you go on the PD website and request a bunch of (free) anchor replacements. Turns out their most recent anchors have a manufacturing fault. I ordered like 15 new ones or something. [emoji1]
Yeah got those long back :)
I only got 4 replacement ones since I only have the one slide.
But my original 4 anchors are still going strong.

Contemplating getting the A9 with its current offers.... Should I do it!?

I know this is a gear thread but maybe it's worth stepping back just a little and assessing what the A9 will bring you over what you already have or could get for less money. If the clinical assessment balance tips in favour of the A9 then fair enough and I suppose it's fair enough if you just want one and can afford it :D

The uninterrupted view, good resistance to artificial light flicker and speed of operation might be big attractions for many people even if in reality an A7III may provide most if not all of the image quality at a lesser price.

If you can afford it. Why not? :D

Contemplating getting the A9 with its current offers.... Should I do it!?
No save your money for something other than photographic,it’s just a box that takes photos,like hundreds of others manufactured
but with a few advanced features that you can get by without.

On the other hand ,why not.

No save your money for something other than photographic,it’s just a box that takes photos,like hundreds of others manufactured
but with a few advanced features that you can get by without.

On the other hand ,why not.

Yup.

Years ago when I was working, on good money and single I used to put some money away for the future but I also tried to buy myself a little toy every month. Over time I got a couple of hi fi systems, one for upstairs and one for down, cameras (of course,) watches and other man toys I didn't strictly need... because life is for living and you have to have a bit of fun :D You can always donate to your local good causes as well :D

Back