The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Why not because I'd lose my beloved 42mp sensor :(

It is a lot of money. And I'd be putting the money I have saved for buying new glass towards the A9. Hmm... I don't like the low dynamic range of A9 either or the 5fps mechanical shutter.

Yup.

Years ago when I was working, on good money and single I used to put some money away for the future but I also tried to buy myself a little toy every month. Over time I got a couple of hi fi systems, one for upstairs and one for down, cameras (of course,) watches and other man toys I didn't strictly need... because life is for living and you have to have a bit of fun :D You can always donate to your local good causes as well :D
im looking for donations for a new floor in the bedroom :D

Yup.

Years ago when I was working, on good money and single I used to put some money away for the future but I also tried to buy myself a little toy every month. Over time I got a couple of hi fi systems, one for upstairs and one for down, cameras (of course,) watches and other man toys I didn't strictly need... because life is for living and you have to have a bit of fun :D You can always donate to your local good causes as well :D

I happily take donation for the Sony A9 cause :D

So long as you're aware in five years or less it will start to feel outdated.
It will still take very good pictures and video though.

Well after 5 years may be they'll have an A7R installment with AF and features of A9 :D

Why not because I'd lose my beloved 42mp sensor :(

It is a lot of money. And I'd be putting the money I have saved for buying new glass towards the A9. Hmm... I don't like the low dynamic range of A9 either or the 5fps mechanical shutter.

Megapixels aren't everything nowadays though unless you're wanting to crop like a bad un. Again depends no the use. I'm a pro wedding photographer and for me , silent shutter, amazing eye tracking, resistant to flicker, just a couple of things for me.

Megapixels aren't everything nowadays though unless you're wanting to crop like a bad un. Again depends no the use. I'm a pro wedding photographer and for me , silent shutter, amazing eye tracking, resistant to flicker, just a couple of things for me.

I agree it isn't. I also have a LX100 which is 12mp. At the same time it comes in handy a lot of times. I also shoot a fair bit of landscape, macro and portraits for which megapixels and dynamic range can come in handy :)
I also shoot a bit of action but nothing so intensive at the moment that A7RIII can't handle pretty well. I currently don't have the time for shooting wildlife/birds like I use to for which A9 would be very nice indeed.

Last edited:
A7iii with 24-105 yesterday

43810403701_8cdf867369_o.jpg

Does it? I’ve only ever driven past the Kelpies, guess I should probably go have a proper gander sometime, huh?

Can you go inside them?!

If you go on the official tour you get inside briefly. No stairs or anything inside so I've never bothered, I think they probably look better from outside especially after dark.

Kelpies by barrysprout, on Flickr

Forgive the intrusion of a Fuji shot in the thread :D

Two from today, A7 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.4.

DSC01247.jpg

I took a picture like this last one with my Panasonic GX9 recently so I took another with my A7 just to compare :D

DSC01250.jpg

Does the A7III/A7RIII have any built in timelapse features?? I thought Sony had it but looking on the specs I don't see any mention of it.

Does the A7III/A7RIII have any built in timelapse features?? I thought Sony had it but looking on the specs I don't see any mention of it.

no, previously you were able to buy it from playmemories apps but sony in their infinite wisdom have removed that also :mad:

no, previously you were able to buy it from playmemories apps but sony in their infinite wisdom have removed that also :mad:

Thanks, I thought I hadn't dreamt it. Any sign of it being added on a future firmware update? or any workaround? (other than doing it manually with an intervalometer)

You can use the S&Q setting to record as low as 1fps, it will automatically play back like a timelapse but only at 1080p
For many this will be adequate for a quick burst of moving clouds etc.

What I have read is that they have removed compatibility of the Play Memories apps with their latest top end cameras, which was a way of going Timelapses, so an external solution needs to be found. I use the Timelapes app on the RX100III, and while it is great to use, and makes the final video, but it is limited to 990 frames afaik. So good and bad.

Thanks, I thought I hadn't dreamt it. Any sign of it being added on a future firmware update? or any workaround? (other than doing it manually with an intervalometer)

This seems like a decent write up about current options - https://photorec.tv/2018/01/sony-a7riii-a9-time-lapse-options/

Sony will only add firmware update if there is enough people moaning about it of which I don't think there is at the moment. Feel free to start a petition or something and it may get some traction. At the moment I wouldn't hold my breath for a FW update that'll add this feature.

No, the series 1 and series 2 mondels had an app you could purchase as an add on, but the series 3 models have a newer undelying software operating system, which no longer inclused the Playmemories app store and as such access to the timelapse app.

As someone who shoots a lot of timelases, and processes the raw files on the computer rather than a video exported out of the camera, personally i always tended to use my external intervalometer any way on my a7s so havent really noticed the lack of any built in timelapse features.

if you just want something quick and rough out of the camera, you are able to adjust the frame rate in the s&q video seconds to record video at 1fps, which will be exported in camera as 24fps video etc

One of the 'men of the moment' switches to Sony

Not disagreeing with things that he said but boy it is a lot rant. It was borderline apologising to his fans who associating him with Fuji all this time. The whole 15min can be summed up as “I switched because I think it will get me better images.”

Not disagreeing with things that he said but boy it is a lot rant. It was borderline apologising to his fans who associating him with Fuji all this time. The whole 15min can be summed up as “I switched because I think it will get me better images.”

Most of what he said made sense, think he didn't want to loose subscribers! If I was a Canon user I would have jumped ages ago. I have thought of switching my Fuji gear Sony but I like the size and feel of the Fuji which is what I got it for.. But I am still tempted to get one to try :)

At this stage Sony doesn't offer me any benefits over the D850 apart from size and I'd actually be loosing some features that I have with the D850. I'm waiting to see what Nikon offer with their mirrorless.

Ok. You switched yet?

I'm not a sheep, don't need to follow :p anyway I was Fujifilm UKs featured photographer if the week last week, so I reckon I've got the measure of the Fuji now :D:D

Saving hard for a GFX, and the fact that most Canon EF glass has a big enough image circle means that lenses don't need to cost a fortune, think that X100F and GFX will suit my shooting requirements.

The take home point was that the hybrid A7iii more or less replaces three sets of gear for him.

One of the 'men of the moment' switches to Sony

I agree it got a bit ranty, so I didn't watch all of it. TBH not sure why people feel the reason to make 'I've switched' videos. Find those boring in general.

Last edited:
I don’t get these videos. Who cares or makes a choice based on what others do?

I can only assume the marketing men must think or know people buy products on what 'others do' as they surely wouldn't waste money on this type of 'advertising'?

(I accept this video is more of a 'blog' though)

Last edited:
Back