The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Does or has anyone had any issues with their Sony cameras? Reason I ask is because I was participating in a conversation about it on a Facebook group. People were saying that it seems lots of Sony users have issues with things going wrong on their camera's. I must admit, I have seen post from people with issues. I'm just curios really.

Never had a Sony camera go wrong per say (touchwood) and I have owned a LOT of them from a-mount days.
But there is plenty that is wrong with them out of the box :D

Does or has anyone had any issues with their Sony cameras? Reason I ask is because I was participating in a conversation about it on a Facebook group. People were saying that it seems lots of Sony users have issues with things going wrong on their camera's. I must admit, I have seen post from people with issues. I'm just curios really.

The only one I've had is the A7 and it's never missed a beat. Actually I've never had a fault on a camera of any make except alignment problems with RF's and a jammed shutter on one. Par for the course really but I've never had a fault on a modern electronic camera, touch wood.

The only one I've had is the A7 and it's never missed a beat. Actually I've never had a fault on a camera of any make except alignment problems with RF's and a jammed shutter on one. Par for the course really but I've never had a fault on a modern electronic camera, touch wood.
Cool, Nice to know. I have the A7iii and see posts on Facebook with people reporting problems. It would be nice to know how many they have sold to put it in perspective.

Nope, I've owned nearly every Sony released since the A55/580.

Last edited:
What are these issues?
Some people saying the ibis was getting stuck. A guy had one memory card slot stop reading cards. Another guy had the card slot fail to hold the card in. It woudnt push in without springing back up. A guy couldn't turn his on. Just had a red light and that was it. Some have had lines across the screen and on photos. And by that I don't mean the banding. More like an actual shutter problem.

Just thinking about it I think the one make I think I might be wary of is Fuji as there do seem to be a few reports of cameras locking up or actually failing in one way or another and one model (I can't remember which but I think it was a fixed lens camera) seems to have a quite terrible reputation. And as the claims of being anti this or that and being a fan boy are often thrown about I'm neither a knocker or a fan boy, I'm just relating what I've read on this and other forums.

It doesn't seem to stop them being popular though. If I was buying one I think I'd wait a year when any new model comes out to give them time to iron out any issues.

Last edited:
Some people saying the ibis was getting stuck. A guy had one memory card slot stop reading cards. Another guy had the card slot fail to hold the card in. It woudnt push in without springing back up. A guy couldn't turn his on. Just had a red light and that was it. Some have had lines across the screen and on photos. And by that I don't mean the banding. More like an actual shutter problem.

Not heard of all of them. Have they posted evedince of their findings? 1 case of premature shutter failure says nothing. The af pixel lines were posted a while back by dpreview in certain harsh back light but I haven't heard of anyone here or experienced it myself and I shoot backlight.

Last edited:
I still went and bought an A7iii because I liked it, despite what I heard. Its hard to tell how many have been sold. They always seem to be out of stock and on back order but I don't know if that's Sony holding back stock on purpose to create hype. But if its a handful of units out of millions then its not a problem really.

Just thinking about it I think the one make I think I might be wary of is Fuji as there do seem to be a few reports of cameras locking up or actually failing in one way or another and one model (I can't remember which but I think it was a fixed lens camera) seems to have a quite terrible reputation. And as the claims of being anti this or that and being a fan boy are often thrown about I'm neither a knocker or a fan boy, I'm just relating what I've read on this and other forums.

It doesn't seem to stop them being popular though. If I was buying one I think I'd wait a year when any new model comes out to give them time to iron out any issues.
Me too Ive had three Fuji cameras X100, Xpro1, and Xt1 two had to be returned for repair under warranty only the Xpro1 was trouble free , I will say that the repairs were carried out very quickly so can't complain too much.
I will also say I enjoyed using them very much so a new Xpro2 is a possibility in say six months or so.

I was about to sell my Sony 28mm f2 on ebay, then realised I'm within 14 days of delivery and Jessops will just refund that.. sweet

A7000 rumor is the best rumor ever....

All I can say is..... This is a whole new camera..... Shhhh dont tell anyone.

:ROFLMAO:

looks like it might finally have a front and rear dial too.

edit - oops just seen woofy's comment

I think it's too late for that. The rumor site told me and I told you.

looks like it might finally have a front and rear dial too.

edit - oops just seen woofy's comment

They say it's a new body, I wonder if it'll be mini SLR style rather than RF style.

I also wonder how many of these they'll keep in production.

Not heard of all of them. Have they posted evedince of their findings? 1 case of premature shutter failure says nothing. The af pixel lines were posted a while back by dpreview in certain harsh back light but I haven't heard of anyone here or experienced it myself and I shoot backlight.
Yeah mate. The people with issues posted their problems on Facebook as a video.

Lovely. Camera thoughts?

I do like it, image quality is a given.
Overall I'm happy with the handling, not as good as the Fuj X-H1 but personally don't think anything is.
thought I would miss the Fuji colours a lot more than I am but mostly I like the colours it produces especially the greens in the landscapes and hopefully when I get more use to pp the files that will get better. Saying that do miss some of the Fuji film sims especially the acros b&w's
Nice to have a decent battery life when using live view.
Find the manual focusing to be a joy, haven't really tested the af yet so can't comment on that.
Major gripe is the colour of the af point I'm finding it really hard to notice where it is espically at sunrise/sunset, is there any way to change the colour?
Not a camera thought but I am impressed with the Sony 24-105.

A7000 rumor is the best rumor ever....

All I can say is..... This is a whole new camera..... Shhhh dont tell anyone.

:ROFLMAO:

Under a headline "fictive rendering" of what basically looks like an A6500 with a front control dial, longer grip and a top wheel...so nothing like a "whole new camera" so a bit of a wasted Photoshop effort!

It's a bit of fun not the 10 commandments.

Just wait for the real thing to appear... which shouldn't be too long, probably less time than Moses spent wondered in the desert.

Sorry Alan, I wasn't having a dig at you. Just thought it was a funny conflict of details in the SAR post :0)

Sorry if I gave the impression of being digged :D Far from it hence my ref to it not being the ten commandments. I should have added a :D soz that I didn't.

I just read another thread today of a card slot breaking lol. Then a guy In the comments said his broke after 3 months. Makes me bloody paranoid.

Screenshot_20180904-161758_Facebook.jpeg

Stop reading or take it back.
[emoji1] It's bloody Facebook. There are lots of great posts on there. Lovely shots taken with the A7iii. Some good inspiration. However, the odd post like that pops up. Just makes me nervous when I spent so much money on it.

In all fairness I do feel the camera is more delicate than my old d5200 lol

[emoji1] It's bloody Facebook. There are lots of great posts on there. Lovely shots taken with the A7iii. Some good inspiration. However, the odd post like that pops up. Just makes me nervous when I spent so much money on it.

In all fairness I do feel the camera is more delicate than my old d5200 lol

Ive used a lot of cameras and while it's not a d700 it's as well built as anything FF at a similar price point. Don't bother looking at Nikon's track record if you're nervous.... Anyway, you have warranty.

Maybe you feel it's more delicate because you paid more and are worried more about hurting it.

Ive used a lot of cameras and while it's not a d700 it's as well built as anything FF at a similar price point. Don't bother looking at Nikon's track record if you're nervous.... Anyway, you have warranty.

Maybe you feel it's more delicate because you paid more and are worried more about hurting it.
Yeah your right. Two Year warranty. [emoji5]

Back