The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Money no object, what wide angle would you take on a city break (handheld night shooting will feature a fair bit)?

Sony or Canon mount is fine, but it has to be available on LensesforHire (which to be fair is pretty much every option I'm aware of).

As a fully paid up member of the 'MC-11d Sigma Art Fan Club' I'm struggling to look beyond the 14mm 1.8.

The 35 and 85 Art are already along for the ride, so weight concerns are largely irrelevant at this point!

Probably a Batis 25mm
But if you like super wides it may not be for you

I don't like big lenses. An old lens plus an adapter is usually about the size of the 55mm f1.8 which is just about ok.

I can't see myself buying one of the bigger lenses but a more compact 35mm f1.8 might get me very interested ...

With you 100% on this lens-size thing, though weight remains less of an issue for me...the loxia 85 is surprisingly heavy but is a delight.
Some might argue the best lens in my bag is the 90mm macro, yet is ubdoubtedly least used due to size.

The Fuji XT-3 has arrived folks which is probably more interesting than both the Nikon & Canon mirrorless bodies and has dual SD slots lol.

26mp BSI
20 fps [emoji33]

when exactly did you try it? i mean what time? Was you the bloke waiting anxiously behind me like a little boy wanting to play with some new toys that i was currently playing with? hehe
Think I was the last one up try it out.
Don't think we crossed paths, I'd have recognised you.

Money no object, what wide angle would you take on a city break (handheld night shooting will feature a fair bit)?

Sony or Canon mount is fine, but it has to be available on LensesforHire (which to be fair is pretty much every option I'm aware of).

As a fully paid up member of the 'MC-11d Sigma Art Fan Club' I'm struggling to look beyond the 14mm 1.8.

The 35 and 85 Art are already along for the ride, so weight concerns are largely irrelevant at this point!

Do you need AF?

There's a llaowa 15mm f2 which is more reasonably sized.
Tikina firin 20mm f2 is quite nice also

Though not sure these will be available on lenses for hire.

Barring these two I'd simply get the 16-35GM.

The Fuji XT-3 has arrived folks which is probably more interesting than both the Nikon & Canon mirrorless bodies and has dual SD slots lol.

26mp BSI
20 fps [emoji33]

Yep looks very good. Certainly one of the best crop mirrorless out there. If you like Fuji style of imaging.

How did you find the Zeeeeeee?
Hi all i just had a hands on with the z7!! with @dancook who was around the area from my work

here are my intial thoughts:

pros:
Better grip and ergonomics then the A9/A7r3
Able to automatically transfer via bluetooth the shots u take but in full res jpg to your phone while you shoot.
AF indoors was fast and smooth on the 35 f1.8 lens
Touch screen on menu is great

Cons:
Rolling shutter and banding in silent shooting mode(@dancook tested this)
35 1.8 lens nearly as big as a 35 1.4

Overal it looks like a camera that can take a beating but if i was a d850 owner i would skip and wait for gen 2 that should fix some of the obvious shortcomings already mentioned here(like 1 card slot, buffer capacity)

Its a good start from Nikon though But as always you should decide if this camera is for you based on your needs and wants.

It is X-trans, but a new sensor, isn't ISO kind of faked on all cameras anyway?

I've not noticed across other brands as I have with Fuji, they are out by quite a bit. Nearly a stop. Shame no ibis. Video mode looks excellent on paper.

Nikon rep told me the sensor readout for electronic shutter was not given out. And when I asked if a better camera was coming, perhaps a z9 he seemed offended.

Hi all i just had a hands on with the z7!! with @dancook who was around the area from my work

here are my intial thoughts:

pros:
Better grip and ergonomics then the A9/A7r3
Able to automatically transfer via bluetooth the shots u take but in full res jpg to your phone while you shoot.
AF indoors was fast and smooth on the 35 f1.8 lens
Touch screen on menu is great

Cons:
Rolling shutter and banding in silent shooting mode(@dancook tested this)
35 1.8 lens nearly as big as a 35 1.4

Overal it looks like a camera that can take a beating but if i was a d850 owner i would skip and wait for gen 2 that should fix some of the obvious shortcomings already mentioned here(like 1 card slot, buffer capacity)

Its a good start from Nikon though But as always you should decide if this camera is for you based on your needs and wants.

Seems an ok start for them - but the FPS situation puts me straight off! Maybe the Z6s in 2020 might be a better one!

I've not noticed across other brands as I have with Fuji, they are out by quite a bit. Nearly a stop. Shame no ibis. Video mode looks excellent on paper.

I really hoped for IBIS on it too, but they're doing a bit of a Canon on that front, they don't want to hurt sales of their now Flagship XH1

I really hoped for IBIS on it too, but they're doing a bit of a Canon on that front, they don't want to hurt sales of their now Flagship XH1

Im not sure Id ever buy fuji at full price again, they are releasing cameras very frequently and cashback etc, existing users must be feeling pretty screwed. It used to be what Sony did and it really annoyed.

So why can’t the Nikon and Canon do decent FPS with AF and live view?

Behind on the tech or not willing to take all the customers away from the D5/D500 etc?

So why can’t the Nikon and Canon do decent FPS with AF and live view?

Behind on the tech or not willing to take all the customers away from the D5/D500 etc?

Because they want people to buy their current DSLRs and want to release a Z9/R in a higher spec milc eventually (at higher price of course!). Sony did something radical with the a7iii because they had to with incoming Canikon arrivals.

Im not sure Id ever buy fuji at full price again, they are releasing cameras very frequently and cashback etc, existing users must be feeling pretty screwed. It used to be what Sony did and it really annoyed.

I'm not 100% sure I would either. I don't like that they kept the XT3 identical to the XT2, would have liked to see a better grip at the very least and the more I check specs it seems a lot of the upgrades are video-centric

I think we're going to see more of this as stills and vid converge in one camera.

High ISO capability of the A7R3, rubbish light in the park yesterday but I had to get out!

43584990255_0b10688cd4_c.jpg

A7R3, 100-400GM +1.4x tc @560mm, F8 1/800th, ISO 12800. Goldcrest.
I could have upped the NR a tad more but I was afraid of losing any more IQ.

44444729072_bf8872fd9b_c.jpg

8000 ISO otherwise same settings

Last edited:
High ISO capability of the A7R3, rubbish light in the park yesterday but I had to get out!

43584990255_0b10688cd4_c.jpg

A7R3, 100-400GM +1.4x tc @560mm, F8 1/800th, ISO 12800. Goldcrest.
I could have upped the NR a tad more but I was afraid of losing any more IQ.

44444729072_bf8872fd9b_c.jpg

8000 ISO otherwise same settings

yay a photo. looks good on flickr.

I'm not 100% sure I would either. I don't like that they kept the XT3 identical to the XT2, would have liked to see a better grip at the very least and the more I check specs it seems a lot of the upgrades are video-centric

I thought from quickly scanning the specs etc this morning that they had made the camera body grip bigger. It made me sit up as the small grip on the X-T2 was a real problem for me. Perhaps I heard it wrong but I hope not.

I thought from quickly scanning the specs etc this morning that they had made the camera body grip bigger. It made me sit up as the small grip on the X-T2 was a real problem for me. Perhaps I heard it wrong but I hope not.

also the dial on the t3 are thinner than on the t2

Are you getting one? Still got the X-H1? Or are you coming back to Sony? :D

pointless me saying no, as theres always a chance. but currently got a sony and 3 lenses. have waited around looking at what Nikon & canon are doing. liking the ergonomics of both - think sony are lagging behind canon, nikon and fuji (xh1) here imo.. theres wasted real estate on the sony camera. saying that, im fine to shoot in manual mode with front and real dial for aperture and shutter speed, with the control wheel for iso.

sony rule currently with af, continuous eye af and have a decent lens suite that now has 3rd party support. sensor quality is superb also. its hard to look past them tbh.

if i was a betting man (i am) i'd back the odds on an a73 or a7r3 being my next purchase.

Handling and weather sealing don't seem to be issues for me but they are a constant and repeated gripe against Sony and if I was Mr Sony I'd be addressing these and other issues for the next iteration.

After I'd done a 35mm f1.8 of course.

Handling and weather sealing don't seem to be issues for me but they are a constant and repeated gripe against Sony and if I was Mr Sony I'd be addressing these and other issues for the next iteration.

After I'd done a 35mm f1.8 of course.

can't please everyone. make the cameras bigger: someone complains. keep them small and others will continue to complain.

can't please everyone. make the cameras bigger: someone complains. keep them small and others will continue to complain.

To date Sony have kept the older cheaper and in the case of the A7 smaller cameras in production so that option is there for people who prioritise size and weight over features and handling. How many of these they'll keep in production and for how long I don't know.

I also don't know how much weight people give to reviews and bloggers but they must be factors and if handling and weather sealing get repeatedly bashed and also used by the competition as marketing plus points for their systems someone at Sony should be making a decision as to if it's worth improving these things or not.

Back