The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

If you can't take a decent picture on an A7, don't bother calling yourself a photographer. How about you acquaint yourself with some real photographers:

I took one or my best shots on an android phone that lots loved and even made Flickr explore

Back to chat about the cameras rather than arguing then..... seem to have sorted out some of my issues with manual focusing, I didn't realise that playing about with the different peaking settings (Low, Medium, High) and colour (Moved to Yellow) could make so much difference, set to Medium and Yellow it seems much better than it was with Red, I also noticed that Steadyshot wasn't switched on.... I'm not sure I've ever had it on so that's likely to have made a difference too, picking up the 35 f2.8 that I bought used from the Post Office today but its going to have to do a lot to convince me not to keep the Loxia now I think, despite the price difference.

As for other lenses, I'm half tempted to order a 24-70 f4 from Panamoz and see what I think of it, as they do have a returns policy like any other retailer, if its as bad as most say it is for landscapes then I'll await the rumoured 24-70 GM (whatever the hell that means!) and start looking at primes for now.

I'll be interested to hear how you get on with manual and what technique you find best, peak wide and stop down to shoot, peak stopped down and shoot or use the magnified view.I find peaking good at wide apertures but less so when stopped down.

I'm tied to home this week so just played with my 50mm f1.2 about the house and garden and we pleased to play with MF again after using the 55 and 35mm AF lenses. Peaking at f1.2 was very easy and with good accuracy. Made me want to go out and shoot with it but that'll have to wait until I'm free.

PS.
Hope you're happy with the 35mm f2.8, I think it's rather good :D

Last edited:
https://www.avforums.com/threads/flickr-explore-one-for-jim.1915020/

Loads of examples why being Explored isn't necessarily a judge of image quality :0)

I see, ok, because i was always asking myself about what is the standard or what is the guidelines/rules for those Flickr Explorer shots choices.

Well, in this case i shouldn't look at editors choices or Explorer shots as it may not reflect the quality as you said, sometimes it is a matter of people mind/mood of choices.

Generally there are lots of excellent images in Explore but there are equally as many awful shots. A lot of it is down to those users following thousands of people which means more people will follow them in return.

Back to chat about the cameras rather than arguing then..... seem to have sorted out some of my issues with manual focusing, I didn't realise that playing about with the different peaking settings (Low, Medium, High) and colour (Moved to Yellow) could make so much difference, set to Medium and Yellow it seems much better than it was with Red, I also noticed that Steadyshot wasn't switched on.... I'm not sure I've ever had it on so that's likely to have made a difference too, picking up the 35 f2.8 that I bought used from the Post Office today but its going to have to do a lot to convince me not to keep the Loxia now I think, despite the price difference.

As for other lenses, I'm half tempted to order a 24-70 f4 from Panamoz and see what I think of it, as they do have a returns policy like any other retailer, if its as bad as most say it is for landscapes then I'll await the rumoured 24-70 GM (whatever the hell that means!) and start looking at primes for now.

Having closed my eyes and pulled the trigger on an a7rii this morning, I'm also considering giving the 24-70 f4 a bash.

Having closed my eyes and pulled the trigger on an a7rii this morning, I'm also considering giving the 24-70 f4 a bash.

I think if I stay with primes I'll look to add a second body although right now I'd probably opt for another A7ii (or A7r) rather than the A7rii but be good to see what you think of it!

I really wish to buy A7rII, i will check out the price of A7rII in a local store and then i can think about a price to sell my A7r, and i may add another camera, maybe my 1Dsii so i can have a good price closer to A7rII then i can add just little more.

I have 4 cameras that i want to offer for sale then buy 2 new cameras, but i don't know which 2 cameras to sell together for 1 new camera, A7rII is cheaper than 5DsR, selling A7r alone will not give me enough money to add for A7rII, also i don't want to sell 3 cameras just to get 5DsR, 2 cameras for 1 camera not 3 for 1.

my guess on the 2470gm is g like the top minolta/sony glass, and m for macro at .3 magnification

weight and size would be interesting as the apsc fast mirrorless zoom lenses are heavier than the dslr ones

I really wish to buy A7rII, i will check out the price of A7rII in a local store and then i can think about a price to sell my A7r, and i may add another camera, maybe my 1Dsii so i can have a good price closer to A7rII then i can add just little more.

I have 4 cameras that i want to offer for sale then buy 2 new cameras, but i don't know which 2 cameras to sell together for 1 new camera, A7rII is cheaper than 5DsR, selling A7r alone will not give me enough money to add for A7rII, also i don't want to sell 3 cameras just to get 5DsR, 2 cameras for 1 camera not 3 for 1.
Get an a7r2 and pair it with a 1dx if possible or maybe a 7d2

I have some questions milling around in my mind, but first a bit of background.
I shoot mainly urban/architecture, family, and some wildlife. After years in the wilderness pining for my OM4ti and Mamiya 7 systems, my Nikon D70s became a doorstop last year so, sick of using my phone, I just put my hand in my wallet and bought... (thank you to woof woof suggesting Sony)
Camera body A7 mk2, with lenses 25mm batis, 35mm loxia, 50mm loxia, and 90mm macro. And Ona bag. I'm on a bit of a Christmas-came-early high.

I missed getting the batis 85mm by an hour or so, probably just as well as I prefer a longer portrait lens...always liked 100-135 range to be honest.

Will I need a second battery ...if I use a flashgun for say 20-30 shots?
Will my old small metz 20gn flashguns fit & work?
What skylight filters (if any) do you folk recommend? I always keep lens hoods attached.
When will a 100 to 135 prime portrait lens be forthcoming?
Can I get a converter to fit a swarovski CTS85 scope?

Grateful for any advice
Andy

What skylight filters (if any) do you folk recommend? I always keep lens hoods attached.

I don't think use of flash will have an impact on battery life but best to have a second battery handy. Put the camera in airplane mode to prolong battery.

The Metz 20 will work okay but it is a rather basic bit of kit and it doesn't swivel. Nissin i40 is way better and not hideously expensive.

I never use a filter, lens hood gives enough protection for me.

Your 90 macro is a fine portrait lens. There is a 135mm f2 manual focus Samyang on the market but I'd give the 90 a good go before buying something else.

Is the CTS85 T-Mount? In which case yes. Otherwise, I can't help there.

I have some questions milling around in my mind, but first a bit of background.
I shoot mainly urban/architecture, family, and some wildlife. After years in the wilderness pining for my OM4ti and Mamiya 7 systems, my Nikon D70s became a doorstop last year so, sick of using my phone, I just put my hand in my wallet and bought... (thank you to woof woof suggesting Sony)
Camera body A7 mk2, with lenses 25mm batis, 35mm loxia, 50mm loxia, and 90mm macro. And Ona bag. I'm on a bit of a Christmas-came-early high.

I missed getting the batis 85mm by an hour or so, probably just as well as I prefer a longer portrait lens...always liked 100-135 range to be honest.

Grateful for any advice
Andy

You can buy 2 3rd party batteries for about £15 I think. Well worth it. How did you miss the batis? It's a lens I'd love.

Are any a7rii using canon glass with metabones iv with the latest firmware update? Thoughts?

Thanks

You can buy 2 3rd party batteries for about £15 I think. Well worth it. How did you miss the batis? It's a lens I'd love.
How? Well I visited a couple of shops in the morning to examine the old & new camera bodies, see the system and examine some of the lenses (though none of the Zeiss were in stock of course), then went home to consider things over lunch.
Decided and rang another shop I was aware of after lunch. Manager by chance had taken delivery of one of each batis that morning! Within those couple of hours the 85mm had already been sold, and I jumped at the 25mm!

Good advice on the batteries, thanks
Andy

get ex pro whites for the spare batteries, filter wise if you gonna have em the b w mrc ones are the best imo

get ex pro whites for the spare batteries.

I have a single EX-Pro and wouldn't buy another. Doesn't last as long in use- maybe a 10-15% shortfall against the Sony OE. The bigger issue, though, is that it doesn't hold its charge very well before use. At times it'll register a drop from 100% to 65-70% just from sitting in my case.

I have a single EX-Pro and wouldn't buy another. Doesn't last as long in use- maybe a 10-15% shortfall against the Sony OE. The bigger issue, though, is that it doesn't hold its charge very well before use. At times it'll register a drop from 100% to 65-70% just from sitting in my case.

My Sony one does that.

If I leave batteries in the camera they discharge pretty quickly, outside of the camera they still discharge but sloooower. I have one Sony battery and one bought off the auction site which is about half the weight but seems ok in use.

Quite, and how do you find time to use them?

Do you need all three of A7r2, 7D2 and the 5DSR either?

I have 1DX already, but want to pair this camera with another fast camera but not another 1DX, because 7D2 or even used 1D4 are still cheaper than brand new or second hand 1DX and i don't like to buy second hand if there is new model brand new available.

Now i use A7R is my main camera for landscapes and outdoor cityscape or even indoor architecture, and 1DX only for sports and some portraits in events and will be used for wildlife and birding too in the future, so i will keep 1DX no doubt, but i feel i need a backup camera for my 1DX, the only backup i have for 1DX in sports and events is 1Diii, it is a good camera but there are newer camera affordable and i can sell my 1Diii and buy 7D2 without lose [i found 7D2 brand new in some local stores at same price of selling my 1Diii, and if i add 30D to 1Diii sale then i can have more than 7D2 price new].

A7R is a great amazing camera and i love it, but i just thinking if i can sell it with another 1-2 cameras then i can buy A7r2, maybe i just need to add little more, and with this i will have a new camera, at the end i use A7r but the other 2 are not in use, in the past those 2 cameras were my main camera, but because i upgrade every 2-3 years then older bodies are out of use then and i didn't sell anything in the past, but i started t sell since 2-3 years ago as i felt i keep collecting the new one with old ones and then all become old and older.

Quite, and how do you find time to use them?

Do you need all three of A7r2, 7D2 and the 5DSR either?

I can find time if i want, but sometimes i am not in mood, also i had so bad situations since 4 years until now, but my situations are getting better slowly and maybe will be in good situations for long time, and this will make me to return back to photography more or better than before.

I can use 2 cameras as main or one as backup, i shoot many things [i will not say everything], and with that i don't use one camera for everything i shoot, if i shoot sports and events where people are involved as photojournalism then simply my 1DX and 7D2 are my main/backup cameras, for anything else except still life and studio then my A7R [i hope A7r2] will be my main body, and not sure about 5DsR as i may buy this just as fun or backup too or bonus, i can always give it to my wife or my kids to use it sometimes, also i can offer it for rent in my city so i can have some income even 10% of its actual price, but i still not decided on 5DsR to be honest and it is not my priority camera in my wishlist.

Back