The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

You're missing my point... other companies make expensive slow zooms too but I don't see page after page of angst over them.

Given time Sony may bring out a lower priced 70-300mm but for their first they've gone for a more expensive one. Deal with it or buy a Tamron.

My God, all this angst over a lens that none of you have tried. It's expensive... so don't buy it! Buy a cheap DSLR and mount a $90 Tamron on it! For a fraction of the price! Job done! :D

Without starting it all again, the point is that you can't "buy a Tamron" for FE mount. Sony have released three telephotos so far, the 70-200 F4, 70-200 2.8 and this 70-300. All three are on or around £1k so it's pretty fair to suggest that they've already got the high end (price) bases covered with the 70-200's so why release a (on paper) mid-range aperture zoom at a high end price?

Yes, other manufacturers also have expensive variable aperture slow telephotos but at the same time they have mid-range equivalents. I understand that the Sony lens lineup is growing steadily but the reason they're 'aiming for the premium market' is because amateurs are accepting £1k lenses as the only option so are buying them to shoot holiday pictures.

Last edited:
but the reason they're 'aiming for the premium market' is because amateurs are accepting £1k lenses as the only option so are buying them to shoot holiday pictures.
If that claim is true (personally I doubt it), then more fool them - more money than sense springs to mind.

If that claim is true (personally I doubt it), then more fool them - more money than sense springs to mind.

It was a slightly flippant comment but you only need to read some threads on TP to see how many amateurs are investing heavily in kit without any intentions of making it earn anything back. Obviously everyone can spend what they like on whatever they want and we're all guilty of GAS but my point was that Sony will never try to bring out more realistically priced kit if enough people will fork out that much on existing hardware.

Last edited:
It was a slightly flippant comment but you only need to read some threads on TP to see how many amateurs are investing heavily in kit without any intentions of making it earn anything back. Obviously everyone can spend what they like on what they want and we're all guilty of GAS but my point was that Somy will never try to bring out more realistically priced kit if enough people will fork out that much on existing hardware.
Unfortunately I'm one of these GAS suffers, hopefully start doing paid work in the future :)

70-300mm write up at Fstoppers...

https://fstoppers.com/originals/first-hands-look-sony-fe-70-300mm-f45-56-lens-122829

Holiday starts tomorrow!!! Yippppeeeeee!!! At 03:30 :D

I last had a break 8 months ago. It's a hard life... :D Will be trying to take at least one keeper picture per day :D but often I only appreciate a picture weeks or even months later so I wont be deleting too many unless that one that nearly went to the bin turns out to be the one I really like :D

70-300mm write up at Fstoppers...

https://fstoppers.com/originals/first-hands-look-sony-fe-70-300mm-f45-56-lens-122829

Holiday starts tomorrow!!! Yippppeeeeee!!! At 03:30 :D

I last had a break 8 months ago. It's a hard life... :D Will be trying to take at least one keeper picture per day :D but often I only appreciate a picture weeks or even months later so I wont be deleting too many unless that one that nearly went to the bin turns out to be the one I really like :D

Have fun. Look forward to seeing the keepers.

A7rii just released and the A7riii is on its way already. LOL.
Sure, if you believe Sony Rumours Affiliate Links, who are probably just regurgitating that april fools joke from the other day. If we took their nonsense with the substantial pinch of salt it deserves, we'd all be running with dangerously high blood pressure.

Quick example of the high ISO function on the A7S, unfortunately one of the last pics I will take with the body as I am down-sizing my video setup so the body has to go (see classifieds here)!

ISO 16000

DSC00598-3.jpg

Sure, if you believe Sony Rumours Affiliate Links, who are probably just regurgitating that april fools joke from the other day. If we took their nonsense with the substantial pinch of salt it deserves, we'd all be running with dangerously high blood pressure.

Cant believe you dont think they have peoples best interest at heart instead of pushing rubbish deals.... but at the same time... Sonys release dates on cameras, A7 to A7ii was 1 year, they do like pumping cameras out.

I wouldn't be surprised if the mark3 comes out in September. Would be nice if they held off another year.

I'm having so much fun shooting with the a7rii atm. Loving it.

surely if it is 80 megapixels they would need to go to medium format????

How much do you think used A7RII's will fetch once the A7RIII is out? 50% of its original £2599 price?
Surely Sony will bring out the A7III first followed by the R & S variants? If that's the case I suspect we may see a A7III 2nd half of 2016 and the R & S variants in 2017.

if the a7r2 goes to 1200 that's a killer camera fair play.... all depends though value is determined by how much its worth to the user of it lol

How much do you think used A7RII's will fetch once the A7RIII is out? 50% of its original £2599 price?
Surely Sony will bring out the A7III first followed by the R & S variants? If that's the case I suspect we may see a A7III 2nd half of 2016 and the R & S variants in 2017.

They are £1800 new right now. Okay thats grey, but used is about the same less fees (£1550). Anybody trying to sell an A7rii or any Sony after being an early adopter is in for big losses, they just dont hold value.

As Owen said though, if youre planning on keeping it a few years and will get the use out of it then its worth the initial cost.

It makes sense for the next model to be the A7iii.

Last edited:
It's only annoying for the people who have to have the latest and greatest.
My A7r is every bit as good as the day I got it. I think upgraded bodies every year is great for the consumer when ever someone is ready to buy there getting up to date specs.

They are £1800 new right now. Okay thats grey, but used is about the same less fees (£1550). Anybody trying to sell an A7rii or any Sony after being an early adopter is in for big losses, they just dont hold value.

As Owen said though, if youre planning on keeping it a few years and will get the use out of it then its worth the initial cost.

It makes sense for the next model to be the A7iii.
Where? Cause new I have only seen at 2500£

ouch they obv aren't fans lol

Ive said the same in the past and some dont like it, but facts are facts and you cant change physics. However, the system will still work for certain users that want other things from it and thats what matters e.g. A good FF sensor with a decent EVF and manual focus aids. Why Sony never just added all the tech to a new A99 and kept A mount instead of reinventing the wheel is just mind boggling.

Why wouldnt it be on a Sony forum? But if you look more carefully at the comments its not all as one sided as you make it out to be, which is good.

You can choose smaller and larger lenses for all systems but all the popular stuff so far is still the same/similar size according to sensor size. Not that that is an issue for certain users (a decent camera with fast lens is going to be big either way, wether its FE or a DSLR combo, its still going to need a bag).

Of course in terms of light gathering the FF system has a stop more than APSC, thats obvious, thats why you need faster APSC lenses to even it out in terms of speed and DOF, Ive always said that but the lenses are still smaller because they can be. The X-pro2 in no way is designed to be a small camera, Fuji makes much smaller models with EVF (XE2S & XT10).

Yes, there is a size/weight saving in terms of body (mostly) vs DSLR, Ive never denied that. But its interesting to look at the whole picture, which includes AF performance for moving subjects, ergonomics, battery life and durability. All these things add up and only the user can decide how it works for them.

Last edited:
Back