The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I find 'the internet' vs reality rarely match up. Particularly on the likes of DPR.

Arguing about one point different on dynamic range etc. Just take some photos! 13, 14 stops or whatever is ridiculous anyway and well beyond anything you' need in 99% of circumstances.

And heaven forbid I spent a day shooting in heavy snow with -10 windchill. Between battery life and weather sealing I'm sure technically the a7RII should have blown up.

Last edited:
A7R III - odd "issue".

However, it may not be an issue and most likely some setting. I have the camera set to AF-S mode and I would expect to set the focus when I either back button press or half press shutter button. Face detect is also off.

So anyway, if I look at different points such as a door handle 4-5 feet away or something else 10 feet away the camera will try and automatically focus- but I'm not pressing anything? I can override this by setting the lens to MF but its annoying - even does it in DMF.

It doesn't sound like a major problem until you do Video and then the camera is trying to focus on different points when panning or worse just hunt for a split second every second or so.

Anyone know what could be causing this? I assume its some AF setting somewhere.

A7R III - odd "issue".

However, it may not be an issue and most likely some setting. I have the camera set to AF-S mode and I would expect to set the focus when I either back button press or half press shutter button. Face detect is also off.

So anyway, if I look at different points such as a door handle 4-5 feet away or something else 10 feet away the camera will try and automatically focus- but I'm not pressing anything? I can override this by setting the lens to MF but its annoying - even does it in DMF.

It doesn't sound like a major problem until you do Video and then the camera is trying to focus on different points when panning or worse just hunt for a split second every second or so.

Anyone know what could be causing this? I assume its some AF setting somewhere.

Pre-af?

Do you guys have this Pre-af on I not too sure if I want it on or not

I can't see any point to it to be honest but there will be scenarios where someone will need it. Its good it can be switched off though.

It off by default I think

I not seen it working as I though it should though I though when you compose the camera without touching anything the camera start auto focus

Edit. Ah it dies but not quick but nothing I would want on anyway

Last edited:
One of my Panasonic cameras does something similar. I suppose it'll help focus speed if the camera is already there or somewhere near before you half press the shutter button.

I not seen it working as I though it should though I though when you compose the camera without touching anything the camera start auto focus

Edit. Ah it dies but not quick but nothing I would want on anyway

Is it that pre af setting?

No problems here with the a7R2, 1600 shots fired off at Goodwood yesterday, many of which were 1/20 pans etc. More often than not up around f20 and it performed exactly as I would have hoped.

I've only edited a few so far but:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/harry_s/albums/72157694588469975

Held up admirably through very heavy snow as well. Lots of hunting as to be expected when you can barely see the subject at times, but once it locked it hung on well.
OK listen all.

Pre 3.00 fw in the a7r2 etc they all focused fine in afc but when fw 3.0 released it butchered the AFC! It took them until fw 4 to fix it again.(check the release notes)

OK listen all.

Pre 3.00 fw in the a7r2 etc they all focused fine in afc but when fw 3.0 released it butchered the AFC! It took them until fw 4 to fix it again.(check the release notes)

:D darn those Sony butchers eh :)

Like a sheep? :)

A7iii in my opinion is overkill for personal use. I think if I wasn't planning on going into some sort of paid photography then A6*** series would be perfect.

Quality vs price they offer more than most.

Looks more like a compact

A6000,looking for quality lens. FL around 35mm FF equiv.any recs?
Sony do the APS-C 24mm f1.8 which is apparently a very nice lens. It's not cheap but not horrendously expensive either.

TBH the lack of a decent compact 24mm f1.8 is one thing that puts me off the A6xxx line.

I don't have a Sony but this thread is super busy and entertaining - reading this, genuinely curious - does it matter if a camera looks like a compact, or indeed, is a compact ? Isn't it the results that you get from the camera that matters, not what it looks like ?
yes Gary but Andrew was just giving his opinion :giggle:

Sony do the APS-C 24mm f1.8 which is apparently a very nice lens. It's not cheap but not horrendously expensive either.

TBH the lack of a decent compact 24mm f1.8 is one thing that puts me off the A6xxx line.
Alan ,either it is or it isn't a nice 24mm 1.8? which is it ?:D

If anyone is remotely interested... V 35mm f1.4 stuff...

One thing I like to do when out and about is take close up shots of leaves, flowers and other interesting stuff so I like relatively close focusing lenses to reduce the amount of cropping. I've been testing the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 and it's performing quite well for this sort of stuff.

I don't entirely agree with the comments at Admiring Light about f1.4 and close shooting as I think that at f1.4 at the point of focus it's good enough but I don't think that many people will want to take close up shots at 35mm and f1.4. To me f2.8 and beyond is much more likely to give some depth. At wider than f2.8 even with a 35mm there's going to be precious little in the DoF at anything approaching minimum focus distance.

Anyway, I continue to like this lens and using it for the occasional close up shots of flowers and stuff seems to be yielding good enough results for a general purpose 35mm.

100% crop at about minimum focus distance, f2.8, ISO 1250.

DSC09764-c.jpg

50% at f3.2, ISO 800, again at about MFD.

DSC09756-c.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have a Sony but this thread is super busy and entertaining - reading this, genuinely curious - does it matter if a camera looks like a compact, or indeed, is a compact ? Isn't it the results that you get from the camera that matters, not what it looks like ?

I would say how it feels over how it looks, but performance is key.

Back