The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I have done a quick check.... I am missing that lovely 135mm focal length.

Previous
Fujinon 35mm f2.0
Fujinon 56mm f1.2
Fujinon 90mm f2.0
Fujinon 10-24mm f4
Fujinon 16-55mm f2.8
Fujinon 40-150mm f2.8
Fujinon 1.4x TC

Current
Sony 55mm f1.8 Zeiss
Sony 85mm f1.4 GM
Sony 16-35mm f2.8 GM
Sony 24-70mm f2.8 GM
Sony 70-200mm f2.8 GM
Sony 1.4x TC

Credit card, worry about it later. :sneaky: What setup you thinking?
If it was completely up to me that's exactly what I'd be doing right now ;) Setup would be A7riii to replace both my systems, I could then use smaller telephotos but in DX mode to give me almost the same effective reach as what I'm getting now, but with some decent weight saving. I would then also have FF goodness and DR for travel as well (y). If I had a crystal ball and knew what Nikon were doing with their mirrorless I might hang on, but we've no idea on size/weight of the body, how many MP and therefore if it would be want I want in terms of cropability, how good the AF will be etc etc.

The D850 is/was an option but I'd still have to keep the Olly for travel (which is not the end of the world as I really like it), but as we've just discussed XQDs are crazy expensive and there's only Sony making them so who knows what the future holds for XQD, plus I'd be investing in a system that 'may' be being 'replaced'. And then the D850 is heavier than what I have now, although again I could use smaller teles and crop.

Bloomin too much choice and not enough money ;)

If it was completely up to me that's exactly what I'd be doing right now ;) Setup would be A7riii to replace both my systems, I could then use smaller telephotos but in DX mode to give me almost the same effective reach as what I'm getting now, but with some decent weight saving. I would then also have FF goodness and DR for travel as well (y). If I had a crystal ball and knew what Nikon were doing with their mirrorless I might hang on, but we've no idea on size/weight of the body, how many MP and therefore if it would be want I want in terms of cropability, how good the AF will be etc etc.

The D850 is/was an option but I'd still have to keep the Olly for travel (which is not the end of the world as I really like it), but as we've just discussed XQDs are crazy expensive and there's only Sony making them so who knows what the future holds for XQD, plus I'd be investing in a system that 'may' be being 'replaced'. And then the D850 is heavier than what I have now, although again I could use smaller teles and crop.

A positive for me would be to try and just ring a single system for everything if possible.
Just by the lenses you need for each task. :)

I would get the following when using DX mode on the A7R III.

Sony 55mm f1.8
16-35mm f4
70-200mm f4

Last edited:
I have done a quick check.... I am missing that lovely 135mm focal length.

If you had got the A7RIII you can just crop your 85mm to get 135mm :p (and still retain 1 stop advantage over Fuji 90mm)

Also you should replace that 55mm with Sony Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 it's probably the best 50mm-ish lens :D

A7r3 sounds like the only option really.

Sony 16-35 F4
Sony 55 1.8
Sony 70-200 2.8

Maybe a 1.4x tc

Last edited:
If you had got the A7RIII you can just crop your 85mm to get 135mm :p (and still retain 1 stop advantage over Fuji 90mm)

Also you should replace that 55mm with Sony Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 it's probably the best 50mm-ish lens :D
now now.... Sony GAS is dormant for now.... :D

Shame no DX mode in a7iii

I see some wireless testing patents have been filed from Canon, looks like the mirrorless will be soon, get ready for a Canon grand slam, wonder if it will have ear, nose and mouth AF!!!! ;) ;) ;)

And right when I have my basket loaded too hahaha

I see some wireless testing patents have been filed from Canon, looks like the mirrorless will be soon, get ready for a Canon grand slam, wonder if it will have ear, nose and mouth AF!!!! ;) ;) ;)

And right when I have my basket loaded too hahaha

Or maybe its the M50 Mark II and M40 M-series bodies? :D lol

Hmm sat here with the A7iii looking for this crop mode lol

Ahhhhhh there it is lol

Well I will have a good with this crop mode next time I am out with the 70-200. Hmm I can see what Toby saying it nice to see that actual frame rather than a Block boarder that the nikon had

A7r3 sounds like the only option really.

Sony 16-35 F4
Sony 55 1.8
Sony 70-200 2.8

Maybe a 1.4x tc
Absolute musts are walkabout zoom, wide angle zoom, long tele and 70-200mm f2.8. To keep costs down I would probably look at the 24-70mm f4, Old Canon 17-35mm, Old Canon 100-400mm and then would have to bite the bullet with the Sony 70-200mm f2.8 as I'd need native speed for this lens.

Shame no DX mode in a7iii
As you've found out it has, but it's 'only' 10mp.

Hmm sat here with the A7iii looking for this crop mode lol

Try this......

APS-C/Super 35mm
Sets whether to record in APS-C-equivalent size for still images and in Super 35mm-equivalent size for movies. You can use an APS-C-size dedicated lens with this product by recording in an APS-C-equivalent size or Super 35 mm-equivalent size.

1. MENU →
    s_menu_shoot1.png
    (Camera Settings1) → [APS-C/Super 35mm] → desired setting.
Menu item details
cE5CA.png
Shooting:
Sets whether the camera automatically determines the capture range based on the lens. (Auto/Manual)
cE5CA.png
Shoot.: Manual:
Sets whether to record in either an APS-C-equivalent size or Super 35mm-equivalent size when [
cE5CA.png
Shooting]is set to [Manual]. (Off/On)
Note
  • If you try to perform full-frame shooting with an APS-C-compatible lens attached, you may not achieve the desired shooting results.
  • When APS-C/Super 35 mm shooting is activated, the central part of the image sensor is used and the angle of view is equivalent to that of an APS-C-size image sensor.

10 MP is fine for me it not that I am going to print them out but it handy have that feature I suppose.

I wouldn't buy the A7Riii just for that as it not something I would use enough

10 MP is fine for me it not that I am going to print them out but it handy have that feature I suppose.

I wouldn't buy the A7Riii just for that as it not something I would use enough

You can always shoot in FF and crop in post to 300mm eqiv?

if anyone see's a used 50mm 1.4 come up anywhere, give me a shout - be nice to have one for tomorrow, probably cutting it a bit fine now.

You can always shoot in FF and crop in post to 300mm eqiv?

Wouldn't shooting in this crop mode make it a clearer sharper image rather than cropping in post

A7R3, 70-200 2.8 and something cheap like the 35mm 2.8 Samyang

Wouldn't shooting in this crop mode make it a clearer sharper image rather than cropping in post
I doubt it, I guess it does help with framing and reduced file sizes, apart from that I am not sure what other advantages it gives us.

Back