The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Pixel peeping is of course lovely but as I was saying a few pages back I find I can crop to 100% or even a bit more and have a nice full screen or A4 print. I downsize quite a few pictures too.

Maybe if I tried a high resolution body I'd be hooked.

you can do more of that with higher resolution :)

What do you guys do with all those mp's?

Print very big? Crop a lot? Or just enjoy the ability to pixel peep and the whole luxury of it? :D

All are valid, I'm just wondering...
I crop a lot and at times need more than my D750 gives me.

So, the A7III is looking particularly tempting... I've seen plenty of videos around single shot AF, face/eye tracking working relatively well with the Sigma adapter for Canon lenses, however continuous AF looks to be pretty hit and miss. Anyone here using adapted Canon lenses in C-AF with any success?

So, the A7III is looking particularly tempting... I've seen plenty of videos around single shot AF, face/eye tracking working relatively well with the Sigma adapter for Canon lenses, however continuous AF looks to be pretty hit and miss. Anyone here using adapted Canon lenses in C-AF with any success?

It works fine, did 2 walk towards camera shot, I think it missed a handful of times (120 shots in total….10fps really gets crazy, tap and it's 5 shots….)

My 5D4 can never get this hit rate %. In that regard it is an improvement and a success.

p8x61tF.png

It works fine, did 2 walk towards camera shot, I think it missed a handful of times (120 shots in total….10fps really gets crazy, tap and it's 5 shots….)

My 5D4 can never get this hit rate %. In that regard it is an improvement and a success.

p8x61tF.png

Mirrorless weakness has never been ideal conditions, its lower light CAF. TBH my D750 would've handled this with ease... surprised the 5div can't.

Last edited:
Mirrorless weakness has never been ideal conditions, its lower light CAF. TBH my D750 would've handled this with ease... surprised the 5div can't.

I haven’t shot it in low light yet so can’t comment.

And I am not saying the 5D4 couldn’t have got that done. I said the A73 did it better. Out of 120 shots there are like 4 or something that’s a fraction off.

Depends on the lens I guess. With my 70-200mm f2.8 I’d expect the D750 to hit 99.9% of someone walking in conditions like this. Shoot with an 85mm f1.4 and this hit rate would drop noticeably. I can’t see what lens this was shot with?

I haven’t shot it in low light yet so can’t comment.

And I am not saying the 5D4 couldn’t have got that done. I said the A73 did it better. Out of 120 shots there are like 4 or something that’s a fraction off.
Which lens? Have you tried the Sony with a Canon 70-200mm f2.8?

Sigma 50Art and I don’t shoot 70-200. I actually don’t like that lens in any of its variants.
I don’t know what the accuracy of the sigma 50mm is tbh. But anyway, you’re saying that the A73 using the Canon variant via adapter is better than the same lens on a 5D4? That’s very surprising.

p8x61tF.png

Thanks for the feedback Raymond, I would be looking more at motorsport, kids sports days, bit of rugby etc. I find mirrorless to excel in one shot/slow moving C-AF situations (I have Fuji X-T1/2 and Canon 5D4/1D4 setups) over DSLR, but once things get moving things swing the other way. It's the focus acquisition that I find a bit slower, once locked on it's generally okay.

I don’t know what the accuracy of the sigma 50mm is tbh. But anyway, you’re saying that the A73 using the Canon variant via adapter is better than the same lens on a 5D4? That’s very surprising.

I’m walking backwards, with the 5D4 I’m using single point focus so when I’m walking backwards there’s a little wobble with each step and the focus point can move off the eye or even the face. With the Sony it doesn’t matter, the focus locks on to the eye no matter what.

I’m walking backwards, with the 5D4 I’m using single point focus so when I’m walking backwards there’s a little wobble with each step and the focus point can move off the eye or even the face. With the Sony it doesn’t matter, the focus locks on to the eye no matter what.
Makes sense. I’m static when shooting things coming towards me so I shouldn’t have the same issue (y)

which adapter are you using? metabones or sigma?

thanks

I'm using an a7rii and I can't get much luck with keeping the kids in focus when they are running around. I've got the right SS etc etc and do get the images on a D750 so what am I doing wrong? I suspect horses for courses and I'm using a fine art camera for action photos but I was drawn in by the eye-af. Any tips or words of wisdom appreciated and thanks in advance.

I do find the auto focus system can miss some obvious static stuff which seems weird given how well it does with action.
You don't. I'd buy the sigma all day between the two. It's just that the metabones was the first to come out

The Metabones still seems to work better than the Sigma from the little I've used both.

I do find the auto focus system can miss some obvious static stuff which seems weird given how well it does with action.

The Metabones still seems to work better than the Sigma from the little I've used both.

Interesting, the take I get from recent videos is that Sigma is the one to go with over the metabones?

I'm using an a7rii and I can't get much luck with keeping the kids in focus when they are running around. I've got the right SS etc etc and do get the images on a D750 so what am I doing wrong? I suspect horses for courses and I'm using a fine art camera for action photos but I was drawn in by the eye-af. Any tips or words of wisdom appreciated and thanks in advance.
What AF settings did you use on the D750 and what are you using on the A7iii. From what I’ve seen Eye-AF is good for static portraits and subjects moving in a constant direction but not so good with erratic movement. That’s only from watching videos though.

What AF settings did you use on the D750 and what are you using on the A7iii. From what I’ve seen Eye-AF is good for static portraits and subjects moving in a constant direction but not so good with erratic movement. That’s only from watching videos though.

A7r2, the d750 af is superior in comparison.

Last edited:

I would expect the D750 to perform better. From what Sony say the 3rd gen models are twice as good AF wise that the 2nd gen models.

So the A7R3 and A73 will perform much better. I know this doesn’t really help much!

Also lens dependent too!

One thing I am disliking a lot on the A73 is the smaller the aperture the more the frame rate drops. So over f/8 if you move the screen it rather feels like looking at a computer from the 90's trying to play a video, this occurs after acquiring focus via a button or half pressing the shutter.

I don't understand why it behaves this way, what's the advantage of stopping down the aperture before the shot is taken?

One thing I am disliking a lot on the A73 is the smaller the aperture the more the frame rate drops. So over f/8 if you move the screen it rather feels like looking at a computer from the 90's trying to play a video, this occurs after acquiring focus via a button or half pressing the shutter.

I don't understand why it behaves this way, what's the advantage of stopping down the aperture before the shot is taken?

To simulate depth of field

To simulate depth of field
I thought it was to prevent focus shift errors? I know people complained of this is the earlier models but Sony fixed it on the A9 and A7riii apparently when you turn settings effect (or whatever it’s called) off. It does appear like the gremlin is back with the A7iii with certain lenses for some reason.

Last edited:
No it's not.the a7r2 Is good at af.ive owned and used it for over 2years Vs you who's used it for 2min and then sold it
You’re saying the D750 AF is not better than the A7rii? I know you’re pro Sony and all that Jonney but..... ;) :p

You’re saying the D750 AF is not better than the A7rii? I know you’re pro Sony and all that Jonney but..... ;) :p

I’m sorry to say this, but to me the Fuji XT-2 seemed to AF better than my Sony A7R II’s, especially in AF-C / tracking etc.
I’m pretty sure the Nikon D750 would perform better than the Sony A7R II, especially in lower light situations.

Back