The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I was waiting for the mirrorless announcement and was very underwhelmed.

Started looking at the a7riii and this is the camera Nikon should have made.
Hi, I am wondering why Nikon chose this type of mount, making the bodies and the lenses big.

Nikon developpers are not amateurs. -

Could have something to do with future, higher resolution sensors.

With 60 or 80 MP "FF" sensors, the Z mount might work better ...

Hi, I am wondering why Nikon chose this type of mount, making the bodies and the lenses big.

Nikon developpers are not amateurs. -

Could have something to do with future, higher resolution sensors.

With 60 or 80 MP "FF" sensors, the Z mount might work better ...

The body size isnt big, the larger mount was advertised to allow for faster lenses like the 50 0.95..... well Sony (3rd party) already has a few of those.

MP have nothing to do with mount size as the sensor size doesnt increase..... again, Sony GM lenses are marketed at 100MP+.

Are the lenses expensive? Seem to be priced very similar to Nikon but they won't be redundant or have to be used with a clunky adapter in the near future. :ROFLMAO:

There’s no denying Nikon have got a lot wrong in recent years, but they’ll bounce back, certainly not ready to do a ‘Kodak’!

There’s no denying Nikon have got a lot wrong in recent years, but they’ll bounce back, certainly not ready to do a ‘Kodak’!

TBF they've done a lot well to. This is their first gen FF MILC, I think its pretty great for a 1st attempt..... couldve been a lot worse. Sonys 1st attempt wasn't anything amazing.

MP have nothing to do with mount size as the sensor size doesnt increase..... again, Sony GM lenses are marketed at 100MP+.
Sure, but maybe corner performance is easier to achieve. I do not know, am speculating.

But I expect some optical engineers or physicists will answer this soon. Maybe the ZEISS people will say something when they bring out Z mount lenses.

TBF they've done a lot well to. This is their first gen FF MILC, I think its pretty great for a 1st attempt..... couldve been a lot worse. Sonys 1st attempt wasn't anything amazing.
They at least got the size right :p

I liked the first gen cameras.

Sure, but maybe corner performance is easier to achieve. I do not know, am speculating.

But I expect some optical engineers or physicists will answer this soon. Maybe the ZEISS people will say something when they bring out Z mount lenses.

I don't think we'll see why Zeiss lenses anytime soon for z-mount. Though z-mount Zeiss sounds cool :cool:

Possibly, still early days (y)

The science chap on DPReview, Rishi, said that the Z cameras have the best video AF of anything so far, so that is something to achieve on the first attempt. :)

Now the AF whilst taking pics... :whistle: :LOL:

I used to think he was reliable, I am having my doubts.

I haven't read everything but don't they say AF is very good for stills also and its very sticky? While everyone else says its bad...

I used to think he was reliable, I am having my doubts.

I haven't read everything but don't they say AF is very good for stills also and its very sticky? While everyone else says its bad...
Others seem to have had an hour or two with the cameras at events whilst DPReview seem to have had the cameras longer. I think I'll go with him until proved wrong. ;) He seemed to be pretty sure in his conclusions so far, as always with the caveat of pre-production firmware. ;)

I'm finally a member of the A7 club. Picked up my A7iii today with a 55mm 1.8. Got a reasonable deal from London camera exchange. Got the A7iii with the 55mm plus a free extra battery and uv filter. Paid £1630. Just need to claim £80 cashback on the lens to make it £1555

Last edited:
seems to have had the camera longer? or do we know for a fact that they have had the camera longer?
Well there are videos of the DPReview team having the cameras at their offices making all kinds of videos, so I'm assuming they didn't do them all in an hour or two, but I could be wrong. ;)

Some people at the events were not allowed to go outside with the cameras from what they were saying. DPReview have at least done that, as have the Camera Store from the videos I have seen.

I'm finally a member of the A7 club. Picked up my A7iii today with a 55mm 1.8. Got a reasonable deal from London camera exchange. Got the A7iii with the 55mm plus a free extra battery and uv filter. Paid £1630. Just need to claim £80 cashback on the lens to make it £1555
You got a new A7III plus the 55 1.8 and extra battery for £1630? That's more than a reasonable deal, it's a steal.

You got a new A7III plus the 55 1.8 and extra battery for £1630? That's more than a reasonable deal, it's a steal.
Yeah. London camera exchange have a bank holiday Sony event going on. They were trying to flog the A7ii for £1200 and £400 cashback making it £800 this weekend only. I wanted the A7iii though and I was suprised when he said it comes with a battery. They are like £75 lol. There was a deal if I bought the camera with the 55mm too.

Oh and I got him to throw in a uv filter for free lol. A hoyo pro one that was £40

Last edited:
Yeah. London camera exchange have a bank holiday Sony event going on. They were trying to flog the A7ii for £1200 and £400 cashback making it £800 this weekend only. I wanted the A7iii though and I was suprised when he said it comes with a battery. They are like £75 lol. There was a deal if I bought the camera with the 55mm too.

Oh and I got him to throw in a uv filter for free lol. A hoyo pro one that was £40

That's an amazing deal, considering it's £1000 off their online price for the two (without the battery)!

https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/New/sony...8-za-zeiss-sonnar-t*-(alpha-a7m3)-_18833.html

Derby mate.

If you look in the lce home page there is an ad for unbeatable in store offers on sony. When you click it it just brings up a list of stores and doesn't tell you the offers. You have to call them or go into store
Ah nice. Thanks for heads up.

I'll visit the store one day I think

Derby mate.

If you look in the lce home page there is an ad for unbeatable in store offers on sony. When you click it it just brings up a list of stores and doesn't tell you the offers. You have to call them or go into store
Just gave them a call no such offer in London :(
Only the free battery

If I can really get the price you mentioned in Derby it's worth getting a train just for the deal!!

Just gave them a call no such offer in London :(
Only the free battery

If I can really get the price you mentioned in Derby it's worth getting a train just for the deal!!
I doubt it. I only got mine today because they said they had two in stock that had just come in. So I just went down straight away.

Also I think it ends tomorrow.

I just spoke to LCE in derby who confirmed the price in store for an A7III and the 55mm lens is £2569.98 and that the only offer they had on this camera for bank holiday was a free battery. How did you pay £1000 less?

I just spoke to LCE in derby who confirmed the price in store for an A7III and the 55mm lens is £2569.98 and that the only offer they had on this camera for bank holiday was a free battery. How did you pay £1000 less?
[emoji1] Ok. Typo £2569

Just chucked FZ100 battery in the classifieds.

Others seem to have had an hour or two with the cameras at events whilst DPReview seem to have had the cameras longer. I think I'll go with him until proved wrong. ;) He seemed to be pretty sure in his conclusions so far, as always with the caveat of pre-production firmware. ;)

"That's actually one of the awesome things of about having that wide throat you can have a 0.95 lens" - its comments like that makes him lose his credibility. There are already f0.95 lenses on other mounts inc. Sony. Its a silly inaccurate point!

Rishi just sounds like a Nikon marketing ambassador tbh.

Last edited:
Back