The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I'm finally a member of the A7 club. Picked up my A7iii today with a 55mm 1.8. Got a reasonable deal from London camera exchange. Got the A7iii with the 55mm plus a free extra battery and uv filter. Paid £1630. Just need to claim £80 cashback on the lens to make it £1555

Good deal... Hang on, are you missing a 1k?

No wonder the A7iii battery last so long. It takes forever to charge. Still waiting to play with my new toy [emoji17]

An older camera I know, but on a whim this weekend i bought an A7 plus the kit zoom from Amazon for £719. Once the cashback kicks in it will be £569, can't think I have ever had a better deal.

Wait, now I need another 1500 for glass. Might not gloat to the wife about that detail.

An older camera I know, but on a whim this weekend i bought an A7 plus the kit zoom from Amazon for £719. Once the cashback kicks in it will be £569, can't think I have ever had a better deal.

Wait, now I need another 1500 for glass. Might not gloat to the wife about that detail.

Dipping my toe in too. I was deciding between the mark I and mark II, and went for A7II plus 35 2.8, both used (from WEX and LCE respectively). I wanted a compact setup to take away on an upcoming five week trip — looking forward to having a play.

Dipping my toe in too. I was deciding between the mark I and mark II, and went for A7II plus 35 2.8, both used (from WEX and LCE respectively). I wanted a compact setup to take away on an upcoming five week trip — looking forward to having a play.

Bought mine for travel duties too, looking out for a 50 1.8 plus extension tubes and a longer zoom, alas that's the pricey part.

24-240 a possible but really K want the 80-200, so might make do with adapting something for now.

So far I have really enjoyed it.

I'm finally a member of the A7 club. Picked up my A7iii today with a 55mm 1.8. Got a reasonable deal from London camera exchange. Got the A7iii with the 55mm plus a free extra battery and uv filter. Paid £1630. Just need to claim £80 cashback on the lens to make it £1555

Woah that’s an amazing price!!!! Seriously... £1555 for the new A7III and Zeiss 55mm f1.8???

Ooops it was a typo!!!! :D

Last edited:
Bought mine for travel duties too, looking out for a 50 1.8 plus extension tubes and a longer zoom, alas that's the pricey part.

24-240 a possible but really K want the 80-200, so might make do with adapting something for now.

So far I have really enjoyed it.

I don't really it's worth putting the 70-200 GM on a an a7mk1. You're buying a beastly af lens then throttling it big time on a slow body.

I don't really it's worth putting the 70-200 GM on a an a7mk1. You're buying a beastly af lens then throttling it big time on a slow body.

I do agree with you here, but the 24-240 gets mixed reviews so the 80-200 f4 is the only other option really. Not an action shooter so speed isn't that important to me.

It would be nice to see some third party options in this area.

I do agree with you here, but the 24-240 gets mixed reviews so the 80-200 f4 is the only other option really. Not an action shooter so speed isn't that important to me.

It would be nice to see some third party options in this area.

Also the 70-300 Fe, if you don't need speed how about an adapted canon 70-200 f4 or manual focus option could work well?

Last edited:
Also the 70-300 Fe, if you don't need speed how about an adapted canon 70-200 f4 or manual focus option could work well?
Hah! As it happens I already have that very Canon lens, adapter already on order. For now I will wait and see how this (And the camera.) works out for me.

Hah! As it happens I already have that very Canon lens, adapter already on order. For now I will wait and see how this (And the camera.) works out for me.
Definitely worth a go! What adapter did you go for, some are better than others.

I still can’t decide between the A7III and the A9 :D so haven’t jumped in yet.

Decision made harder as stock of the Siggy 35 is thin on the ground and I want to get them both together. Was just about to order an A7 III and the distagon earlier but apparently there are tons of them around that are soft on the right hand side and it isn’t easy to find a good copy, well according to the internet’s anyway.

Decision made harder as stock of the Siggy 35 is thin on the ground and I want to get them both together. Was just about to order an A7 III and the distagon earlier but apparently there are tons of them around that are soft on the right hand side and it isn’t easy to find a good copy, well according to the internet’s anyway.

I think jonney said stock will be in 1st week of September.

It's true. Go back some/lots of pages I've tested all three 35 1.4 extensively.

Last edited:
Talking of fast lenses, I was wondering if anyone signed up for a 75mm f0.95 lens from Meyer Optik and due for delivey 2019?

I think jonney said stock will be in 1st week of September.

It's true. Go back some/lots of pages I've tested all three 35 1.4 extensively.

Amazon have them but Sigma won’t give the 3 year warranty on Amazon stock as most of it is grey import.

Quick question. Anybody here used the sigma mount change service.......looking at the a7riii and I have a 35/85 f1.4 art
When I moved to Sony the one lens I hated giving up was the Sigma 150-600C. I tried it with the MC-11 and it was hopeless for AF past 400mm. I've seriously considered the mount conversion on a 150-600C but it's a great deal of money to take a chance on.

Unlike twist I still maintain FE35/1.4 is the best lens out of the three :p
Whether it's worth twice the amount or not is up to the individual to decide.

Last edited:
If it's direct from Amazon they will. Not 3rd party.

Nope, Sigma don’t recognise Amazon as a reseller so even if bought direct from Amazon they won’t repair under warranty spoke to Sigma today about it. They also said that Amazons own stock not the third party resellers is usually grey as they don’t supply them.

They used to have a bit of blurb about it in the Sigma website but I couldn’t find it so called them to see if that still applied.

Last edited:
When I moved to Sony the one lens I hated giving up was the Sigma 150-600C. I tried it with the MC-11 and it was hopeless for AF past 400mm. I've seriously considered the mount conversion on a 150-600C but it's a great deal of money to take a chance on.
Unfortunately you can only mount change lenses that have already been released in E-Mount so you can’t get sigma to convert the 150-600 :(, would be a popular lens if they did release one in Sony mount

Unlike twist I still maintain FE35/1.4 is the best lens out of the three :p
Whether it's worth twice the amount or not is up to the individual to decide.

It's the best if you like softness at 1.4, loads of CA and decentering. You saw the difference I posted. We're gonna have fun with this one forever :LOL:

@f/2.8 don't forget some retailers are doing the a7iii with a half price mc11.

Even if you don't need it buy it and sell on eBay, you'll knock another 70-80 quid off your camera cost.

Last edited:
It's the best if you like softness at 1.4, loads of CA and decentering. You saw the difference I posted. We're gonna have fun with this one forever :LOL:

Not going down this road again. I am going to make my point and leave it there.

It's not soft at f1.4, it's just softer than other two and it's sharper than rest when stopped down.

Before someone decides to make a silly comment about why buy f1.4 to stop down. I use my lenses for landscapes too and I generally don't shoot those at F1.4. this is where sharpness across the frame really matter and Zeiss is better than other two here.
Also not to mention there are times you'll want to stop down for other reasons too for portraits etc.

And for the millionth time they are not all decentred. A lot of them don't have a flat focal plain (I can't remember the technical word) which is not the same thing. If it was decentred you wouldn't get the kind of sharpness you do across the frame when stopped down. Also when focussed off-centre towards either corner things are sharp. That is not decentering.
If you don't believe me go contact Roger Cicala and he'll tell you the same thing.

Not going down this road again. I am going to make my point and leave it there.

It's not soft at f1.4, it's just softer than other two and it's sharper than rest when stopped down.

Before someone decides to make a silly comment about why buy f1.4 to stop down. I use my lenses for landscapes too and I generally don't shoot those at F1.4. this is where sharpness across the frame really matter and Zeiss is better than other two here.
Also not to mention there are times you'll want to stop down for other reasons too for portraits etc.

And for the millionth time they are not all decentred. A lot of them don't have a flat focal plain (I can't remember the technical word) which is not the same thing. If it was decentred you wouldn't get the kind of sharpness you do across the frame when stopped down. Also when focussed off-centre towards either corner things are sharp. That is not decentering.
If you don't believe me go contact Roger Cicala and he'll tell you the same thing.

Okay, it's great if you want to shoot at f8. It's not sharper stopped down it catches up.

Back