The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Since I'm not a wedding photographer who thinks he's better than everyone else I decided it was too much for my needs.

I most definitely don't think I'm better than everyone else. Photography in the scheme of things isn't life changing. Perspective is important - all we are doing is taking photographs not saving lives

Calm down lad

I think theres a possibility of it coming out for current gen (mk3 and A9).

It would be great if Sony did offer it on the current generation but Sony aren’t that great for addition big features via firmware updates tbh :(

I most definitely don't think I'm better than everyone else. Photography in the scheme of things isn't life changing. Perspective is important - all we are doing is taking photographs not saving lives

Calm down lad

You keep telling me to calm down when it was you attacked me for no reason ;) I'm calm as anything, having a lemsip here for the man-flu, beautiful morning, awaiting delivery of a new lens, all is very well.

It would be great if Sony did offer it on the current generation but Sony aren’t that great for addition big features via firmware updates tbh :(

It was already confirmed by one of the Sony top brass

The A9 will not make me a better photographer but it will give me the opportunity to get photos I would not have got with the D750 and even the A73.

Hi JJ,
it really depends on what the definition of 'a better photographer' means?

In my opinion (again I wasn't the one who started the Leica thing and then instantly started throwing insults around because I didn't agree with a response) if a camera, no matter what make/model etc allows you to capture images that you couldn't before there must be an arguement that it makes you better? You have a photograph that you otherwise wouldn't have?

Likewise if the Camera 'inspires' you to take more photographs then you will take more pictures and as @Radiohead states - practice is very important.

Different cameras make different people 'tick' - to just 'slag them off with insults' is not really a discussion IMO.

They are getting better, mk2 got phase via adapted thats big and the recent mk3 and A9 update for LAEA3 is another step forward.

Hi JJ,

In my opinion (again I wasn't the one who started the Leica thing and then instantly started throwing insults around because I didn't agree with a response) if a camera, no matter what make/model etc allows you to capture images that you couldn't before there must be an arguement that it makes you better? You have a photograph that you otherwise wouldn't have?

Likewise if the Camera 'inspires' you to take more photographs then you will take more pictures and as @Radiohead states - practice is very important.

Different cameras make different people 'tick' - to just 'slag them off with insults' is not really a discussion IMO.

So true, I mean look at this morning, the lame insults aimed at me because of gear I've used or use now, newcomers must think we're a bunch of 12yr olds, no wonder they leg it so quick. I'm done with all of that, couldn't care less if someone uses a Kodak disposable, if they shoot a nice image, it's all that matters.

We're mostly like minded people on here, I do wonder why we all act like we detest one another, people we don't, and will never, know.

Last edited:
What sort of shots were you missing with the 750 and a73? You finding the a9 a big step up from the 73?

Not so much missing shots - it just gives me more shots to choose from. For instance when taking a pic of the horse jumping, people prefer different aspects - the taking off, the just taken off, the mid jump, the landing etc. 6.5 FPS does sound quick, but it just wasnt quick enough. I could capture a decent single shot, but the A9 just gives me a great sequence to pick from!

As for the A73. I did find myself missing tracking the odd bit - especially at 10fps as its not live view as such.

The Zero black out and the quality of the EVF make the A9 a step up for what I shoot. Butfor the majority of users the A73 remains such a good value all round camera!

You keep telling me to calm down when it was you attacked me for no reason ;) I'm calm as anything, having a lemsip here for the man-flu, beautiful morning, awaiting delivery of a new lens, all is very well.

Can't beat waiting on some lovely glass being delivered. Wasn't attacking you lad. Relax your good self

Can't beat waiting on some lovely glass being delivered. Wasn't attacking you lad. Relax your good self

I know what you were 'trying' but I'm over all that nonsense, arguing over camera gear is about as cringe as it gets. It's barely a level above arguing over which model TV you own. Mine's a cheap LG btw - Getting new gear however is nice. This is my favorite time of year for getting out to shoot, so if it only inspires me to do so a handful of times it'll be worth it.

I like these Alan but you should really consider a Flickr account as the compression is 'hurting' your posted images. As the other day the crops you produced were sharp but the whole image was let down by the image hosting.

Yes but I honestly can't be bothered.

I used to have a Photobucket account until they got nasty and started deleting peoples pictures from forums so I don't even have that new. As far as I'm concerned anything posted here is for indication only, to give an impression.

The Leica M10D, again the reviewers love it and don't think its dumb!

I can see the appeal but I think this would maybe disappoint me as an only camera or even as my only "main" camera. I think it would make the most sense for people who already own a Leica or maybe several, including one which allows you to review pictures and format the card.

I just can't bring myself to spend that amount on camera gear though and I don't know why as I've blown a fortune on sports cars. Maybe that's why :D but honestly I'd have just as much fun with a cheap camera and lens. For example when I had my Panasonic G1 I used to turn the back screen to the body and take pictures with a Minolta Rokkor 55mm f1.7 or an Olympus Zuiko 28mm f2.8 via cheap adapters. That set up cost about as much as a daily newspaper and a cup of tea.

Hi JJ,

True. I guess its a hard thing to judge really.

The A9 works for me - makes me want to get out more and I think you are right, the most important thing is enjoying your gear, or you just will not use it!

Been getting feedback from the people who I have taken pics of, and this is one of the most pleasing aspects of photography for me.

I just wish flickr would not compress on here. On flickr things look so much nicer. Host on a forum and it all goes a bit to s***!

I just wish flickr would not compress on here. On flickr things look so much nicer. Host on a forum and it all goes a bit to s***!

I think how things look on different peoples computers must vary too as I've seen pictures that look noisy or otherwise horrible to me from a picture quality viewpoint but others apparently don't see it and I'm sure it happens the other way too. Maybe browsers or something else come into play too. But, as I said, I look at pictures here as impressions and I expect the picture to be better away from this forum.

What are the Flickr alternatives? Any other free ones or ones that do not cost much per year?

Not so much missing shots - it just gives me more shots to choose from. For instance when taking a pic of the horse jumping, people prefer different aspects - the taking off, the just taken off, the mid jump, the landing etc. 6.5 FPS does sound quick, but it just wasnt quick enough. I could capture a decent single shot, but the A9 just gives me a great sequence to pick from!

As for the A73. I did find myself missing tracking the odd bit - especially at 10fps as its not live view as such.

The Zero black out and the quality of the EVF make the A9 a step up for what I shoot. Butfor the majority of users the A73 remains such a good value all round camera!

The a9 is excellent have to admit I do regret not getting at least one when rejigging my own gear.

A video guy I am friendly with lent me one for a few weeks and while the A7III is probably the sensible choice for me I still have a hankering to get an A9 as well.

In the new year I might drop one of the A7III's to being a personal camera and get an A9 as a replacement for work.

True. I guess its a hard thing to judge really.

The A9 works for me - makes me want to get out more and I think you are right, the most important thing is enjoying your gear, or you just will not use it!

Been getting feedback from the people who I have taken pics of, and this is one of the most pleasing aspects of photography for me.

As an amateur this is often the most rewarding part of photography for me - the reaction from the people you have photographed/taken photos for. If they are noticing a difference with your new camera and you are loving using it then i would say it has 'made you a better photographer' - my opinion only!

What are the Flickr alternatives? Any other free ones or ones that do not cost much per year?

I just upload to IMGUR for forum posting.

Do these look compressed?

nsWlucS.jpg

RGdykpc.jpg

x5c25pv.jpg

ZM9cet4.jpg

wQb53yK.jpg

7k5mTpA.jpg

IMGUR?

I'd never heard of it. Can other people see your pictures on there?

I'd rather they couldn't.

I just upload to IMGUR for forum posting.

Do these look compressed?

No they don't look compressed, much better than Flickr.

Which method do you use for linking to the images on Imgur Raymond? Image Link, Direct Link, BB Code etc, which is the best method to use?

Graham

Last edited:
As it's a bit quiet in here.

A7 and Nikon 50mm f2 again, f2.

1-DSC01957.jpg

Sort of swirly cats eye bokeh. It's not at it's best with a busy background like foliage but even so this is becoming one of my favorite old lenses. It's not as characterful and it's a bit more neutral than my Rokkor 55mm MC and it's bigger and heavier but I like it.

100% but posted from my computer so may/will suffer a bit, looks sharp on my screen.

1-DSC01957-1.jpg

Just colour and shape.

1-DSC01961.jpg

See the fly?

1-DSC01961-1.jpg

Last edited:
Go back to the Canon thread and have fun there lol [emoji23]

haven't been in there in ages, you're as behind the times as the aperture twins :p I only popped in here because I knew you missed me :D I'm taking a more SsSsSsSsSnake approach lately, couldn't give a fiddlers about the gear, just random wandering about, best not mind me :D

Go back to the Canon thread and have fun there lol [emoji23]

I daren't.

Looks like everyone has abandoned my thread anyway and I don't think people would appreciate too many posts from Sony owners in the new one.

I daren't.

Looks like everyone has abandoned my thread anyway and I don't think people would appreciate too many posts from Sony owners in the new one.
The new threads screwed already lol
haven't been in there in ages, you're as behind the times as the aperture twins [emoji14] I only popped in here because I knew you missed me :D I'm taking a more SsSsSsSsSnake approach lately, couldn't give a fiddlers about the gear, just random wandering about, best not mind me :D
Quality. I'm only kidding. I think me and u get along fine.

If it's true that you did not do well as a pro shooter. That ain't something to laugh about really and hope you can get back at it again or just enjoy it as a serious hobby instead

The new threads screwed already lol Quality. I'm only kidding. I think me and u get along fine.

If it's true that you did not do well as a pro shooter. That ain't something to laugh about really and hope you can get back at it again or just enjoy it as a serious hobby instead

Jonney, you're getting your posts / threads crossed. I was a computer/product guy and never attempted to be a pro photographer.

PS.
Love you too darling.

The new threads screwed already lol Quality. I'm only kidding. I think me and u get along fine.

Yeah I know you can take a joke, hence the little pokes, you know I don't mean anything. I also do realise it's the footballer on the right who's kicking the ball, the other guy mis-judged the tackle :D but that wasn't as funny ;) great shot either way.

I don't know where this idea came from, half of the things aimed at me on here are either not true, half truths or nit-pickings by those who know as much about me as they do about ancient Greek mythology :D I had a web site, I tried my hand at doing event photography, it was fun for a while but I didn't market myself much at all, was only doing it locally. I shot gigs for local bands, shot their promo posters and group shots, did an album cover and various other bits and bobs. I wasn't trying to make a living from it, just wanted to be involved in the scene, many of these bands had helped us out a hell of a lot when fund raising for our daughter, that's how it kicked off. In the end, as I did suffer an injury, I had to fact the fact that being banged about in the pit at live gigs wasn't really the best idea. Other than that - I never had a photography 'business' - heck no! I wouldn't even dream of such a torture :D

woof is the confused one btw, think he has me blocked so can't see my posts, bless

Jonneys is AFAIK under mine. I'm not really confused as I knew he wasn't talking to me but it sort of looked like he was. If you squint.

He quoted me on the second bit, one of the apertures tried slating me for failing at a photography business ... no idea where they got this from. I thought you blocked me, fair enough :D

Removed because I've read stuff wrong... I've had a sleep since yesterday :D

Last edited:
I'm having a busy day, that's my excuse. It may look like I'm spending my time posting on here but in reality I'm quite bu

Back