The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

It was a Karaoke bar in Taipei at 4am, lit by TV, unprocessed.

I do not know that girl….literally was leaving a previous bar and saw her and invited her along for karaoke. It was an interesting night/morning.

To be fair, any other camera would have fallen off the chart at 25600 ISO colour wise. No banding here still.
just karaoke? ;) ;)

Me and my wife went to the Terracotta Warriors exhibition at the Liverpool World Museum on Saturday. It's an amazing exhibition, the quality of the warriors and other artefacts is unreal. These were all shot on my A7 with Voigtlander Nokton 40/1.4 and generally ISO3200.

T

The forum will probably murder them so the Flickr set is here

I am pretty new to the A7, had mine about three months and so far really enjoying the images I can make with it, I am struggling a little with the size (too small for my peasant hands.) but I have ordered a grip this morning to try to get past this.

One of my lenses however - the 50 1.8, is letting me down, the focus seems to hunt back and forward far more than the other two lenses I have, I appreciate that it's the cheapest sony lens available, but it isn't that that cheap (Twice the price of the Nikon/Canon equivalents.)

Before I take it back to the shop and announce that it is broken, can anyone else tell me if they have a similar experience?

JR

I am pretty new to the A7, had mine about three months and so far really enjoying the images I can make with it, I am struggling a little with the size (too small for my peasant hands.) but I have ordered a grip this morning to try to get past this.

One of my lenses however - the 50 1.8, is letting me down, the focus seems to hunt back and forward far more than the other two lenses I have, I appreciate that it's the cheapest sony lens available, but it isn't that that cheap (Twice the price of the Nikon/Canon equivalents.)

Before I take it back to the shop and announce that it is broken, can anyone else tell me if they have a similar experience?

JR

Yes, the FE50/1.8 does hunt, even in reasonable light. I've had one since I bought my A7 18 months' ago and have been happy with the results optically but AF does struggle. As it's the only native AF lens I have, I've always put it down to my original A7 body being earlier tech too but, having tried the Sony Zeiss 55/1.8 on it the other evening in a dull room lit only with a single bulb, I'm happy to say that the AF was snappy and accurate so it's definitely lens related. As a result, I'm now looking to pick up the 55/1.8, along with a Samyang 24mm or 35mm as a second lens.

Last edited:
Me and my wife went to the Terracotta Warriors exhibition at the Liverpool World Museum on Saturday. It's an amazing exhibition, the quality of the warriors and other artefacts is unreal. These were all shot on my A7 with Voigtlander Nokton 40/1.4 and generally ISO3200.

I'd love to see that. I'd love to see them in China too.

Yes, the FE50/1.8 does hunt, even in reasonable light. I've had one since I bought my A7 18 months' ago and have been happy with the results optically but AF does struggle. As it's the only native AF lens I have, I've always put it down to my original A7 body being earlier tech too but, having tried the Sony Zeiss 55/1.8 on it the other evening in a dull room lit only with a single bulb, I'm happy to say that the AF was snappy and accurate so it's definitely lens related. As a result, I'm now looking to pick up the 55/1.8, along with a Samyang 24mm or 35mm as a second lens.

The Samyang 35mm is one tiny little lens - think the 24 is the same too!

On hunting 50mm lenses... I wish Sony would stop this and put decent focus systems in even their cheaper lenses. The macro I had was diabolical but I did suspect that my A7 may be a part of the issue and that it might perform better on a newer body. I wont even consider lenses with these cheap crappy focus systems if there's even a mention of hunting in the reviews..

I said the same thing about seeing them in China. Having half a dozen life size warriors in front of me was impressive, so I can only imagine what 8000 must look like!

I went out with a Chinese lady for about a year and we talked about a trip to China but there were always other things to do.

Yeah, my mate who's 55mm I tried also has the Samyang 35/2.8 and it's great little lens. The AF was marginally slower than the 55mm but not so much that I'd say it's a problem.

From my tests its a bit sharper than the Sony 35mm, but colours are very different!

xKvgQSG.jpg

Imagine if I didn't have to shoot through a window with a A7R3.

ClPmlbx.png

Last edited:
Not sure why I'm so late to the party on this thread!! I've been shooting weddings with an A7RII and A7III combo all this year. Love them!!

How do you find the A7RII alongside the A7III? eventually I’d like an R for the studio stuff.

How do you find the A7RII alongside the A7III? eventually I’d like an R for the studio stuff.

It can be frustrating but generally it does the job. The eye af is miles better on the iii and af is generally quicker. The R2 is great for whacking in to aps-c and giving extra versatility with the 85mm. Single shot silent shooting is a massive pain! On dance floor shots I’ll mostly just pre-focus the r2 to avoid the hunting.

I’ve set the cameras up so they handle as close as they can do, then it’s just getting used to ensuring you’ve got the right prime on the right body to exploit the best of each body, I.e. mostly with iii during ceremony itself and speeches as well as more dynamic moments and r2 for portraits and detail shots.

Does that answer your question?

Last edited:
It can be frustrating but generally it does the job. The eye af is miles better on the iii and af is generally quicker. It’s great for whacking in to aps-c and giving extra versatility with the 85mm. Single shot silent shooting is a massive pain! On dance floor shots I’ll mostly just pre-focus the r2 to avoid the hunting.

I’ve set the cameras up so they handle as close as they can do, then it’s just getting used to ensuring you’ve got the right prime on the right body to exploit the best of each body, I.e. mostly with iii during ceremony itself and speeches as well as more dynamic moments and r2 for portraits and detail shots.

Does that answer your question?

Yes thanks. Makes a lot of sense to exploit the best of both.

I'm just playing with imgur to see if it works...

The sky seems to show some banding in this one.

fddDMC7.jpg

G8jxhNM.jpg

lILGDNw.jpg

g4BcC8H.jpg

I don't see any difference.

Last edited:
Nice. I bought the 24 and 35 Samyangs and sent them back after 2 days. Didn't like them at all. Think I'll hold on until a Sony 1.8 35 arrives.

How come you didn’t like the 24 or 35mm samyangs? Been tempted by both but still hesitant on pulling the trigger so would be good to hear your experiences

Thanks

How come you didn’t like the 24 or 35mm samyangs? Been tempted by both but still hesitant on pulling the trigger so would be good to hear your experiences

Thanks

I have not tried the 24. I have been trying the 35mm 2.8 and Sony 2.8 and IQ wise the Samyang seems a little sharper, but the colours are very different. Let me see if I can find my post!

Back