The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Driving past the river on a thoroughly miserable day, we came across these guys (playing) practicing river rescue, very pleased with the A7R3 and 24-70GM, the shots are really sharp even though hand held in poor light.

Hanging on
by david357 on Talk Photography

Edit, it doesn't look so sharp on here :(

Last edited:
Driving past the river on a thoroughly miserable day, we came across these guys (playing) practicing river rescue, very pleased with the A7R3 and 24-70GM, the shots are really sharp even though hand held in poor light.
Hanging on by david357 on Talk Photography

Edit, it doesn't look so sharp on here :(

Looks sharp enough on my screen.

Like what, a mkVI? There’s still low stocks everywhere of the mkiii?

I am not sure if I want the A7 III. It looks very good, but prefer to wait a few months.
I was talking about a new body rumors - the ASP-C body.
for my line of work, it will be more than enough, if it offers a better Video stabilization ( I think with smaller sensor size the stabilization will be better and easier to achieve)
Even I was looking at Sony RX10 IV, but let's wait a few months and will see.

I think I might keep the A7iii instead. Yes insult me all you want!!

Going to keep my Samyang lens rather than the Sony. I just don’t see enough in it to justify the Sony!

The rest of them can give you stick [emoji3] Is it not worth persevering for a week or two?

Suppose depends where he got it from

But sometime it good get rid ASAP and learn the a7iii and save pennies.

The rest of them can give you stick [emoji3] Is it not worth persevering for a week or two?

Maybe - I have both at the moment and have put A9 in classifieds - if no interest I will see, but will continue to learn the III so not too put many miles on the A9... which at 20fps is pretty easy!

The rumor site has a "Voigtlander 40mm f1.2 FE review by SonyAlphaRumors."

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/voigtlander-40mm-f-1-2-fe-review-by-sonyalpharumors/

I wouldn't expect a high hit rate when attempting f1.2 street shots of moving people. I'd personally have forgotten about the wide aperture and gone for a more zone focus friendly f5.6-f8. Maybe he just likes a challenge.

I've hardly used mine since I got the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 but the 40mm f1.2 is definitely the better lens. It's sharp enough wide open and sharp across the frame stopped down a bit. It is IMO a very good lens. Very well made too and it has the option of going clickless very easily.

Yea i saw that already before posting. His mental. Cant believe it bruv. Some gangster flip flop stuff happening around here. Shocking blad

@JJ

Have had a good look at the images you took recently with your new A9 and compared them to some similar images you've taken with the A73 and also with the Nikon D750.

Overall, I think you're making far too early a decision to ditch the A9.

There's so many factors that can lead to the poorer images you've seen from your first trials with the A9. The main ones as I see them are as follows:

1) Unfamiliarity with the A9's AF system. This camera is apparently better / different compared to the Sony A73. The way it tracks and sticks with an acquired target or the way it is attracted to and switches to a new target is probably going to be quite different to every other camera you've tried and will take a lot of getting used to in order to get acceptable results.

2) I don't know too much about the Sony auto focus modes and can't really be bothered to research either but it may be that the modes you've tried are not the best suited to the images you are attempting to capture. I'm a Nikon guy myself and the Nikon AF modes really do take some getting used to and there have been some changes to the way in which these modes work on the newer D5, D500, D850 models compared with the older models. I am still getting used to them on the D850. The performance isn't just different it also varies with lighting conditions, with exposure settings and the subject that you're trying to shoot. The way in which the subject is moving and whether the object it is in the clear or partially obscured and what else is in the same image are all factors that need to be experimented with and tried with different techniques.

3) The weight and balance of the A9 with the Sony 70-200mm lens. Again, its different to what you've shot with before and will take some getting used to in terms of the way to support the camera and lens to avoid camera shake when tracking, especially at low shutter speeds. Practice, is the best way to improve technique. You've had plenty of practice with the Nikon D750 and obviously your handling technique has been perfected with that camera / lens combination. You really haven't had sufficient time with the A73 and certainly not with the A9 to even come close to the levels of expertise you were achieving with the D750.

Hope you stick with it and give it a really good trial. In the meantime I'm off to create some space for you on the Nikon D850 thread. Maybe see you there soon !!!!

One of my 5D4's lock down clip for the SD card failed just before a wedding last week....almost resorted to shoot single card until i realise if I close the cover down and push it down with that it can still read and write !!!!

Que gaffer tape to the door to stop it accidentally opening as it just shoots out like a nerf gun upon opening the card door lol

i ordered a new lens today.

A 90m macro sony one. Gunna flog the tamron canon mount one i had as it simply cant af at all in macro mode.

Also bought a new godox speedlite too

Will be interested to hear your thoughts, I’m thinking of swapping my 55 and 35mm art for one

The Batis 40mm sadly seems to have a fault, when using eye AF it front focuses, when focusing with magnified view it front focuses, under normal conditions it otherwise has excellent AF.

In actual use I think it's excellent, I've been casually comparing it to the Sony 50mm f/1.4 and they produce similar results but I did consistently (very slightly) prefer the 50mm background rendering even if I couldn't put into words quite why (the 50mm seemed a bit creamier?) but for the most part I think they're very comparable although where the Sony is warm the Zeiss is cool, there's about a 400k difference. The 40mm is much easier to handle, has faster AF, better in the corners, and has a lot more flexibility with the close focus which I make use of on a regular basis so if not for the aforementioned problem I'd be very happy right now.

I'm speaking with a support agent at Zeiss (spent 2 hours waiting on the phone which they never answered but they responded to email quickly) but we're still at the "is the camera switched on?" stage and there's been reports from others of the same problem on FM so I don't think I'm just unlucky and would recommend against buying the lens until this is fixed, although if you never use eye AF or AF in magnified view you won't notice the issue.

What a shame. I hope they can swap it for a good one.

Anyone else getting a security message about this site? Maybe just me.

( really must unsubscribe from this thread )

Back