The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I don't think Sony needs an A7SIII. I know a few videographer has got the A7III for video. Any improvements to the A7SII can be put towards the A7IV really.

It would be higher MP for me.

The rumours I have seen are:

Coloured a.f point from the A7RIV
The new updated tracking
5mp EVF
Dual UHSII slots
Improved dynamic range
Slightly bigger grip
Picture Profiles
Some sort of new video codec
36 mp sensor
22fps

A lot of people seem to think that this new camera will replaced the A9 and the A7SII so will have a load of stuff the video guys have been asking for.

Will be interesting to see what is true and what is not. The DR increase and the resolution bump is a given really.

If there is an A9 with picture profiles then its game over for the S series.

I'll be interested to know what you think of it especially if shooting in low light and I don't mean ISO 1,600 light, more like 25,600 at 1/60 or less light.

In that light my A7's af is useles and my MFT cameras are faster in that light than my A7 in good light.

I'll let you know when I've given it a go. I take a lot of pictures of dark, unlit church interiors for work and the M4/3 was too noisy at high ISO.

The rumours I have seen are:

Coloured a.f point from the A7RIV
The new updated tracking
5mp EVF
Dual UHSII slots
Improved dynamic range
Slightly bigger grip
Picture Profiles
Some sort of new video codec
36 mp sensor
22fps

A lot of people seem to think that this new camera will replaced the A9 and the A7SII so will have a load of stuff the video guys have been asking for.

Will be interesting to see what is true and what is not. The DR increase and the resolution bump is a given really.

Wish they would just do a firmware update for the others cameras to include this.

Wish they would just do a firmware update for the others cameras to include this.

It’s a no brainer really it’s pretty poor they haven’t. There is no issue with the hardware stopping them from doing it as you can make it light up orange if the touchscreen is enabled.

It’s been requested a lot of times along with adding seconds to the clock, have no idea why they choose to ignore it.

I know lots of the U.K Sony reps have fed this back to them numerous times.

Oops

dKLq4yF.jpg

It’s a no brainer really it’s pretty poor they haven’t. There is no issue with the hardware stopping them from doing it as you can make it light up orange if the touchscreen is enabled.

It’s been requested a lot of times along with adding seconds to the clock, have no idea why they choose to ignore it.

I know lots of the U.K Sony reps have fed this back to them numerous times.

The biggest hurdle with firmware can be a simple lack of available flash memory to fit the extra code - I don't know the internal memory capacity for firmware on the cameras, but certainly on the machines I work on it is a significant constraint - and is a hardware limitation.

The biggest hurdle with firmware can be a simple lack of available flash memory to fit the extra code - I don't know the internal memory capacity for firmware on the cameras, but certainly on the machines I work on it is a significant constraint - and is a hardware limitation.

Because memory is so expensive these days.
Lazy design if you are restricted by memory.

I think more likely it's why give an old product features people are possibly willing to pay money for.

Last edited:
Because memory is so expensive these days.
Lazy design if you are restricted by memory.

I think more likely it's why give an old product features people are possibly willing to pay money for.

The type of non-volatile flash memory used to hold firmware is relatively expensive compared to the simple RAM you stick in your PC - there is also a consideration of the physical space it occupies, etc.
In a device that is very much size limited, such as a camera pcb, you are designing to minimize pcb size, track numbers, etc - and there are a lot of competing requirements which all demand more board space - fitting extra flash because you might want to extend the firmware in the future is always going to get dropped off the list if it's competing with something that adds to the camera specs from day 1 - EG additional memory for a bigger image buffer.

The type of non-volatile flash memory used to hold firmware is relatively expensive compared to the simple RAM you stick in your PC - there is also a consideration of the physical space it occupies, etc.
In a device that is very much size limited, such as a camera pcb, you are designing to minimize pcb size, track numbers, etc - and there are a lot of competing requirements which all demand more board space - fitting extra flash because you might want to extend the firmware in the future is always going to get dropped off the list if it's competing with something that adds to the camera specs from day 1 - EG additional memory for a bigger image buffer.

As someone working for a camera manufacturer. This here is very accurate.

Dude if they can add animal eye AF and the firmware is in the hundreds of megabytes and varies in sizes each time then they can add a few lines of code to illuminate a fookin AF point. There is already an on / off parameter for it !!

Whilst I very much understand this, when you look at a phone however, how much space that occupies and how flexible that is with regards to camera apps that it can deploy. I don't think it is so much as impossible or even difficult, it just appears as poor planning and future proofing in terms of updates.

Tech are / have been going the way of constant updates over its life cycle, as opposed to the old method where you release a product and that will be the final version until the next physical product. Be it games cartridge now we have almost weekly patches and expansions etc for games. Fuji has been great at this with their X-series bodies, Canon did a few but they never really had to in terms of software performance. Sony has been slowed with any firmware updates in the past but in the last 24 months they have been pretty good. It's something they still need to work on a little bit more as it stands.

Dude if they can add animal eye AF and the firmware is in the hundreds of megabytes and varies in sizes each time then they can add a few lines of code to illuminate a fookin AF point. There is already an on / off parameter for it !!

Oh absolutely, this is very minor compared to features in previous firmwares. I'm just emphasising that, no matter how simple a feature is, without knowing the camera's architecture it is not possible to say that all it needs is a few lines of code.
Feature detection + AF is completely different to information overlay for instance, and for all we know they are handled by completely different FPGAs/ASIC or whatever Sony is using..

Whilst I very much understand this, when you look at a phone however, how much space that occupies and how flexible that is with regards to camera apps that it can deploy. I don't think it is so much as impossible or even difficult, it just appears as poor planning and future proofing in terms of updates.

Camera apps on phones aren't re-writing the firmware though. They merely utilise APIs provided by the phone's manufacturer.
The second point about poor planning I agree.

It can also go orange when you use the touchscreen so they could easily fix this. This talk of their not being enough memory etc. is rubbish.

I don't think it has anything to do with how easy it is to fix. This is likely just very low priority.. Only way to move it up the queue is to have enough people asking for it.

I make cameras as well. Our biggest seller has 8gb flash memory by default. It's also at least half the size of an A7.
I know there are design constraints but I simple doubling of the flash memory would I bet use no extra space only cost would be an issue. If flash was already maxed out sure adding more would be an issue.
But for instance cameras we make flash varies between 2gb and 32gb. They're all the same footprint.

I don't think it has anything to do with how easy it is to fix. This is likely just very low priority.. Only way to move it up the queue is to have enough people asking for it.

it won't be fixed. Sony rarely (if ever) do firmware updates for previous generations to include anything useful. And M3 is now previous gen now that first of the M4 is out.

it won't be fixed. Sony rarely (if ever) do firmware updates for previous generations to include anything useful. And M3 is now previous gen now that first of the M4 is out.

Definitely, lots of stuff they can add to my Mk1 A7R but they choose not to, I don't blame them either it will make me upgrade sooner which is what they want.

Definitely, lots of stuff they can add to my Mk1 A7R but they choose not to, I don't blame them either it will make me upgrade sooner which is what they want.

As I said above they are d**ks as far as fw updates go

As I said above they are d**ks as far as fw updates go
I don't think they are.
You buy a camera with a set of features. Why would you then expect new features added for free.
Before digital you wouldn't expect additions Street purchasing.
You generally only get updates to fix issues.

I don't think they are.
You buy a camera with a set of features. Why would you then expect new features added for free.
Before digital you wouldn't expect additions Street purchasing.
You generally only get updates to fix issues.

they shouldn't also remove features between versions I paid for, example all the play memory apps I paid money for is now useless.
Also certain things can be seen as new feature or fixes. IMO adding lossless compression for example isn't a new feature just a fix or brining back what they already offered on their A900 DSLRs last decade!

Sony are crap!

Best to switch to Canon with their crap sensors.

Best to switch to Nikon mirrorless with their crap a.f and single card slots.

Best to switch to Panasonic with their awful a.f and with everything seemingly geared towards video.

Best to switch to Fuji with their APSC sensors.

Ooh wait.. :p

Sony are crap!

Best to switch to Canon with their crap sensors.

Best to switch to Nikon mirrorless with their crap a.f and single card slots.

Best to switch to Panasonic with their awful a.f and with everything seemingly geared towards video.

Best to switch to Fuji with their APSC sensors.

Ooh wait.. :p
Nand was on the right track.. however he should have stated they are all B*******.
None give you want you want, its what they want to give you, til their next upgrade

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend me a 35 or 50mm for my A7iii. I want a small form factor for street. Been using my sigma 24 and 35 ART’S which are more than adequate, but I’m looking for something more discreet with similar iq

Can anyone recommend me a 35 or 50mm for my A7iii. I want a small form factor for street. Been using my sigma 24 and 35 ART’S which are more than adequate, but I’m looking for something more discreet with similar iq

The new 35mm FE f/1.8 is small, unobtrusive, sharp with fast a.f but has bad C.A especially in backlit situations.

There is also the tiny Samyang 35 f/2.8 but it has iffy a.f, poor rendering odd colours, and bad C.A.

And the there is also the 35mm f/2.8 which is similar to the Samyang but with better colours and rendering.

The Zeiss 55mm is small, unobtrusive and razor sharp. It is very clinical though.

The 50mm f/1.8 is pants.

Last edited:

You’re going to take a downgrade in IQ, big lenses are big for a reason (mostly and esp 35).

Last edited:
Back