The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Hi currently looking for 2 new lenses to go with my Sony A7iii, I enjoy astrophotogroahy so looking for a wide angle low light lens, narrowed it down to the Samyang 18mm f2.8, I understand there’s lots of negativity about Samyang lenses however I’m not a professional and just enjoy taking photos. Does anyone use this and how are they finding it?

Im also interested in the 45mm f1.8 as a portrait and travel lens, I have changed to the Sony A7 due to the size and portability so don’t want some massive heavy lens so think these two are good shouts. Looking forward to hearing about people’s experience with both, watched plenty YouTube vids and certainly they seem to get positive reviews.

Thanks!

I use a Samyang 24/1.4 Not too heavy but a reasonable size with the adapter - I paid £210 delivered!

Sorry if I'm going over old ground but does anyone use a Peak design leash with there A7 ? Particularly with something like the Tamron 28-75 ?

thanks

I have one. But I've only used it a few times in all honesty. Not because it isn't any good, just that the camera is usually in my backpack or on a tripod!

Hi currently looking for 2 new lenses to go with my Sony A7iii, I enjoy astrophotogroahy so looking for a wide angle low light lens, narrowed it down to the Samyang 18mm f2.8, I understand there’s lots of negativity about Samyang lenses however I’m not a professional and just enjoy taking photos. Does anyone use this and how are they finding it?

Im also interested in the 45mm f1.8 as a portrait and travel lens, I have changed to the Sony A7 due to the size and portability so don’t want some massive heavy lens so think these two are good shouts. Looking forward to hearing about people’s experience with both, watched plenty YouTube vids and certainly they seem to get positive reviews.

Thanks!
I have both the 18mm f2.8 and 45mm f1.8 Samyang lenses and am very happy with both, I seem to have had more luck than others. The build quality isn't up there, but optically I've found them to be excellent, that's on the A7RIV too which is very demanding. AF is pretty good too.

I have both the 18mm f2.8 and 45mm f1.8 Samyang lenses and am very happy with both, I seem to have had more luck than others. The build quality isn't up there, but optically I've found them to be excellent, that's on the A7RIV too which is very demanding. AF is pretty good too.

I think if you get a good copy, optically most of them are pretty good. The only one that's not particularly great is the 14mm f2.8 AF followed by 50mm f1.4 which is average. The 24mm f2.8 is also fairly average but for the size its great.

try and find a used Sony 35mm f2.8 at a price you'll pay. It may be worth paying extra for piece of mind.

Is that not because it's never been a well selling lens and Samyang sell loads?

Is that not because it's never been a well selling lens and Samyang sell loads?
it sold pretty well tbh. It was on the market way before samyang too.
But the samyang 35mm f2.8 lenses don't seem to have problems and seems to be rather good overall.

Sorry if I'm going over old ground but does anyone use a Peak design leash with there A7 ? Particularly with something like the Tamron 28-75 ?

thanks

I had one but found it a bit uncomfortable although it was fine on lighter weight camera's.

Might be okay if you are not carrying the camera for long periods of time. I prefer the slide. I also tried the slide lite and found it uncomfortable as well when using for long periods of time.

Last edited:
I had one but found it a bit uncomfortable although it was fine on lighter weight camera's.

Might be okay if you are not carrying the camera for long periods of time. I prefer the slide. I also tried the slide lite and found it uncomfortable as well when using for long periods of time.
I use slide light and can happily carry that combination for my 4/5 mile walk each morning. Also use the wrist strap when doing street photography

I use slide light and can happily carry that combination for my 4/5 mile walk each morning. Also use the wrist strap when doing street photography

Like I said it might be fine for shorter use I found it uncomfortable but I am swinging 2/3 cameras for 12-14 hours a day when I am working.

Like I said it might be fine for shorter use I found it uncomfortable but I am swinging 2/3 cameras for 12-14 hours a day when I am working.
Probably shouldn’t have quoted you instead of Justa. He didn’t say he was carrying a few cameras all day.

Thanks for the replies. I might just go for the 18mm first and see how it goes before going with the 45mm f1.8.

There are a lot of Thai ladies in my life now... Chinese too. Many of them are absolutely gorgeous and most of them are single so many I wonder if the Thai may die out. Me and the Mrs should start an introduction agency.

PS,
On that some subject. I've been to Kazakhstan a few times and there's a very high single babe count there. They're so desperate for men they'll fight over you. Even I was pestered... and I wasn't looking to be.
Is nice.

At least it's something to read and talk about.

I've just had a rather frustrating chat with two Thai girls, relatives of Mrs WW and mine now too by marriage. They're not fluent in English and I'd much rather talk to you lot about camera gear real or rumored :D

:p

hJKpGmF.png

Thanks for the replies. I might just go for the 18mm first and see how it goes before going with the 45mm f1.8.

That's fair enough. I have both 18 and 45 too - the 18 is a fine lens, but I found the 45 a little disappointing, and I'd probably pick the 35 f2.8 instead (which I also have and like - great for discrete street/travel) if I didn't need a fast max aperture.

Guys
I don't shoot a lot of video, but my A7ii uses either xavcs, avchd or mp4.
If I'm just shooting basic stuff such as grandkids etc, which should I use?
I'm not into video editing or anything like that.
Cheers

Raymond, I'm not into phones at all and I swear just about every time I touch this pc but since been isolated I've done a multi person chat on skype and on a tablet too on Line, I think that's the application.

Phones, tablets and computers are hateful things though :D

lol I meant to put the Slide !!! No idea why I put leash !!!

I have the larger Slide and I found the "buckle" part rubbed the left bottom corner of my my new to me A9, grrr! I have had to add the battery grip to avoid this happening. It's actually better balanced with the grip and I find the Slide perfect when attached to the 2 lugs on my 200-600. 2 anchor points are better for me than the single one on the Black Rapid, far less swinging about.

I have the larger Slide and I found the "buckle" part rubbed the left bottom corner of my my new to me A9, grrr! I have had to add the battery grip to avoid this happening. It's actually better balanced with the grip and I find the Slide perfect when attached to the 2 lugs on my 200-600. 2 anchor points are better for me than the single one on the Black Rapid, far less swinging about.

Ah that’s no no for me - I’m not risking anything rubbing on my camera and marking it !

How are you attaching it? I have one clip on the left hand lug and one on the tripod plate and have no such issues.

I have the slide lite too and whilst it's OK it's not as comfortable as the slide. Also, I find unclipping it a bit of a pain as the buttons get impeded by strap wrapping around the the buckle part, they should have made the buckle part larger imo.

Strange.

I have 6 of the larger (normal size) Peak Design Slides and have been using them for a few years now, these are the cameras I have used them on:

Nikon D750 x 4
Nikon D4S
Nikon D810
Nikon D850 x 2

Canon 6d x 2

Sony A7III x 4
Sony A9 x 2
Sony A7RIV
Sony A9II

Have not yet come across any rub marks at all, perhaps it is something to do with the way you are using it.

I just wish they made them in more colour options when we only had 4 of them it was easier because we had the red, blue, grey and black and I could just shout blue, red etc. and my wife could throw me the camera I needed. Now we have 2 x grey, 2 x black, red and blue.

WEX seem to have a decent price on the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 works out at £571.50 with a voucher code and comes with a free peak design strap.

The voucher code is TAMRON-10

That looks tempting.

I've often thought that a standard zoom and a fast prime would cover 99% of what I need especially if it's a f2.8 zoom.

WEX seem to have a decent price on the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 works out at £571.50 with a voucher code and comes with a free peak design strap.

The voucher code is TAMRON-10
ouch that is a good price !!

Thinking about a half case for my A7iii
Any recommendations ?

A9, 70-200 GM, and 200-600 G on the way and I can't wait to get to grips with the Sony system. (Nikon till now). Couple of questions re accessories and other recommendations. What are your must-haves with your A9, and can anyone recommend decent 3rd party batteries? Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited:
A9, 70-200 GM, and 200-600 G on the way and I can't wait to get to grips with the Sony system. (Nikon till now). Couple of questions re accessories and other recommendations. What are your must-haves/must-do's with your A9, and can anyone recommend decent 3rd party batteries? Thanks for any suggestions.

you should buy the flash I have in sales ;)

You have just spent at least £5K on pro-level camera gear you want to skimp on batteries? Just get the original for a little extra and for peace of mind. You will only really need 1 extra battery, they last fairly long.

Last edited:
Back